Best Boler/Scamp add a room??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Best Boler/Scamp add a room???

After my sweet DW was eat up by Florida's state bird this past weekend we talked about getting an "add a room" that would attach to the Boler. We previously considered a clam or other outdoor screen room tent, but have now decided that having it attached to the Boler would be beneficial. So what "Add a rooms" are available that will attach to our Boler?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Plenty of bag awning/add a room options out there. Need an awning rail to attach the bag awning of course.

Just check the support legs. We had a bag awning on our Casita. The legs were the weak point. Some of the Shade Maker branded ones below have better supports. The Classic is the crappy version.

Here's just one option: http://www.shademakerproducts.com/ba...ng-add-a-rooms
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

Deep South
Bill are these rv make/model specific as to the back side and how it conforms to the side of the rv? My train of thought was bugs coming in from under the rv...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We debated the same thing. You'll pay as much or MORE for something to "attach" as you will the CLAM. Below is a pic of our setup back in the spring and we LOVE it! Some move it up next to the awning which would be ok if you have the room "width" wise. You could also access it without going out in the rain. We RARELY camp when it rains- we just schedule around it . But we like this setup (in the pic) because of the openess when we step out of our Scamp.

Also, it's setup on pavement. That's a $9 tarp from Harbor Freight being used as a "floor"... highly recommended if possible! It helps keep bugs out. The CLAM became our "kitchen" and reading room. We go "electric" and cook/eat breakfast in the CLAM. We leave the bed set up in the Scamp full time now. If you get the CLAM/Gazebo, get the panels for it as well!!

The CLAM you see was shipped to our front door for $204 from Hayneedle which included a special from Paypal at the time- recv $20 off first order from Hayneedle! Well, they've ALL gone up now. BUT, there is a "China-made" version of the CLAM out now. Unfortunately, you'll still pay the same for it as we did the CLAM because of it's price increase. But here's a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-G6-Po...s=screen+rooms
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5320 (1280x704).jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I bought this and I am super happy with it . Very easy set up and tons of room. First time out had two days of pouring rain and it was the greatest. No leaks at all. I just use heavy tarp for the floor.
https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...am+screen+tent
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I am in the "get a quality free standing screen room instead" camp. No drilling/attachments to your camper, no leaks where bugs can get in, etc. A free standing screen room can be much larger as you are limited on a small trailer as far as awning length. The shorter the length, the smaller the screen room.

If you go with a free standing screen room, I would get a good one. There are a lot of crappy ones out there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

Spot on Bill! We felt a "screen room" on the awning would feel really "crowded" which we were trying to expand from with the closeness of our 13'. The 12' CLAM fit the bill. VERY roomy in there with the wife and I even with our "kitchenette" set up. And an important fact you mentioned is no mods to the Scamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I am in the "get a quality free standing screen room instead" camp. No drilling/attachments to your camper, no leaks where bugs can get in, etc. A free standing screen room can be much larger as you are limited on a small trailer as far as awning length. The shorter the length, the smaller the screen room.

If you go with a free standing screen room, I would get a good one. There are a lot of crappy ones out there.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
We use a free standing 10×10 EZ-Up screenroom and love it. We place the picnic table inside and enjoy our meals bug free, well almost. We find it hugs the side of our 13" well enough to prevent getting wet when stepping in and out of the camper and having a meal. Plus it provides shade.
Attached Thumbnails
20170702_181604.jpg  
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
We use a free standing 10×10 EZ-Up screenroom and love it. We place the picnic table inside and enjoy our meals bug free, well almost. We find it hugs the side of our 13" well enough to prevent getting wet when stepping in and out of the camper and having a meal. Plus it provides shade.
That looks much bigger than a 10x10, like a tent and an awning together but I like it
Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Looks like a FULL 10x10. I have a 10x10 popup but it's 10x10 at the bottom of the LEGS. They taper inward so the canopy is only 8x8. I dont like that.

This photo depicts a really nice setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
That looks much bigger than a 10x10, like a tent and an awning together but I like it
Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Coleman makes (or made) a tall version of the EZ-Up, it was just long enough to clear the ends of the 13 ft. Scamp. Wife and myself would set it up and then just carry it until it was slightly over the camper.

Add a screen tent on the far side or off to the rear and I think you would have a great set up. With some minor things to watch out for.

Avoiding the proprietary trailer modifications has some clear advantages. Price is one, and canopy getting damaged in a sudden storm doesn't leave you with wreckage attached to the side of your camper. Detached you can pick the best size and style for the situation even if it changes. Built on if you find it is a little cramped... what you gonna do? External you sell the too small and buy a larger model.

If you put any of those pop up shelters so the legs are right next to the camper shell be sure you tie it out well and maybe even consider some large pool noodles to slit an put on the legs. Metal legs can really beat up a FG shell given some wind.

Most of these type things will break, the flexible poles that can give such as dome tents use seem to be the ones best able to handle bad weather. Our Coleman shelter weighed 80 lbs. (36 Kg) and frame was made out of steel. Worked great until a wind sheer hit and bent the steel legs, all the stakes and ropes held the heavy steel itself gave out.

Cheap will break, expensive will break, have to find the design or type that has the best track record of not failing. For tents (pre-internet) This is how I arrived at what works, and has worked well for around 30 years.

Bad storm came through, tents wrecked and blown down all through the campground, ours was semi-flattened. Saw three different dome tents still up. Went and bought a dome tent. The poles flexing is the reason it doesn't "fail" it give then comes back up. I have woken up with the side of the tent slapping my head when the wind pushed the tent side in, moved closer to center and went back to sleep.

Screen tent you depend on should be dependable and if it breaks should allow for easy emergency replacement at the nearest big box store that carries that sort of thing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
After my sweet DW was eat up by Florida's state bird this past weekend we talked about getting an "add a room" that would attach to the Boler. We previously considered a clam or other outdoor screen room tent, but have now decided that having it attached to the Boler would be beneficial. So what "Add a rooms" are available that will attach to our Boler?
I have the 9 ft Dometic Cabana Room that I use on my Scamp. Go to:

RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch

and do a search for Dometic Cabana. It does have a "C" rail that attaches to the side of your camper and it is more difficult to put up than a awning. If properly staked down and secured it will withstand quite a bit of wind.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #13

Registry
We camp with family often and added an in-law suite via a 10x20 EZup.

One section is used for dining bug free, while the other is for guests. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1531706337046.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	122205
Old 07-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #14

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Interesting topic, being a trailer newbie I never knew I needed one of these and the amount of choice is almost overwhelming. The challenge for me would be relatively light and easy to put up for one person but sturdy. I would love one that could snuggle up close to the trailer. The extended one with guest suite would work well for camping with older grandchildren.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
That one is a 20x10. We also have a 10x10 when camping without guests.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-21-2023, 08:40 AM   #16

Name: Keltir
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
We camp with family often and added an in-law suite via a 10x20 EZup.

One section is used for dining bug free, while the other is for guests. Attachment 122205
What is the make and where do I find the easy up
Awning and the tent
Khalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalm View Post
What is the make and where do I find the easy up
Awning and the tent
Google “EZ Up tent”

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:44 PM   #18

Registry
Recently acquired a new add-on.
Packs up small with one person simple set up.
Made by Kelty.
Attached Thumbnails
20221229_134539.jpg   20221229_152233.jpg  

Tags
boler, scamp