Thinking about ordering a Scamp 16. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Currently shopping
New Jersey
Thinking about ordering a Scamp 16.

Hi all. I have been lurking for years and have enjoyed reading all the info. I have gone back and forth many times on what trailer to buy. I have a tow rig that doesn’t limit me in any way in which fiberglass trailer I choose(other than 5er), I have a full size Chevy Express with a high top. With that being said I want simple and lightweight(future 2nd vehicle may be a Toyota Highlander hybrid and would like the option to to with that)

I have read through the forum a few times and have read similar requests for advice as well as other option discussions. So my first question is about options that are not on the website but can be done at the factory; especially from those who have recently ordered or who are in the know. Second, almost as prevalent as recommendation for adding options are those who advise on deleting certain items: the most common being through hull curtain mount, the hose holder upfront and escape hatch. I haven’t yet determined Standard vs Deluxe, but am leaning Standard for its lighter weight and color inside(first thing my wife asked when I showed her the deluxe was “can we paint the cabinets”-which we very well may do)

I know that some things I decide on may effect resale value, but I am willing to except that to have it how I want and I I feel it would work best for us. So with all that being said don’t hold back on criticism I have thick skin. The following list is for the 16 Standard Layout #4:

Options:

1. AC prep(I believe now standard?)

2. Furnace

3. 12 volt frig(don’t know if they will install-if not I will do it myself)

4. Roof fan(prefer Maxxair?)

5. Shower(no toilet-will use port-a-potty, also hoping I can use the black
tank that would of been used for the toilet as a second grey tank.

6. Prewired for solar?

7. Extra outlet and lights both inside and out?

8. Propane port outside?

Deletes:

1. Hose holder

2. Curtain hardware

3. Escape hatch

4. Cushions(leaning towards getting our oun fabric and custom foam)

5. Cooktop(will have propane run and install a flush mount)

After reading this, I had to laugh, this sure as s**t doesn’t look simple. So before I annoy Scamp with a million questions I figured I annoy you all Thanks in advance for your input.
aaschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I’m sure you will love your Scamp. We have a 2015 Scamp 16 with front bath & side dinette.
We really like the 4.5 cu ft frig size and that the freezer works. It does not run on 12v but we have not had any problem running on propane while in motion.
One item that turned out to not be useful for us is the outside step below the door. It does not extend out as far as we would like so we always use a separate single step outside that rides just inside the door while driving. Also one time while parking on a particularly hilly driveway that factory step dragged on the ground.
Have fun!
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Adrian, I feel your pain. I also wanted a new trailer to suite my needs/wants, so ended up with a highly modified one. I like all your ideas, especially the Maxxfan, and the 12 volt refrigerator. I would not have the furnace installed, but would install a Propex furnace as it takes up much less room (none if you mount it outside under the trailer) is quieter, and takes less voltage to run it than the stock Scamp one (make sure you order the largest BTU one available). I would also look into having a Truma combination water heater/furnace installed like Airstream and Oliver offer.
I would look into using the black water tank as a fresh water tank, since I feel the Scamp’s fresh water capacity to be lacking. We have had two Scamps, and rarely used the awning due to sudden wind gusts out west. We really enjoy our “Clam” screen room with optional rain panels. I would also see if Scamp would install either “awning” or “jealousy” style windows, as these can be left open during rainy days, without rain entering the trailer. Can the standard 16’ Scamp be ordered with the larger bed as the 13’ can?
Best of luck with your build
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

New Jersey
Thanks. Good to know about the frig/freezer, I may go that route. I didn’t intend on getting the step but you reminded me of another option:

9. 14 inch wheels
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
... I would not have the furnace installed, but would install a Propex furnace as it takes up much less room (none if you mount it outside under the trailer) is quieter, and takes less voltage to run it than the stock Scamp one ..
That was pretty much my plan. I got a new Scamp in 2015 with no furnace but with the intent to put in a better one. Propex was high on the list. After almost two and half years of studying manuals and thinking hard about how to do things, I am exactly where I started... still no furnace. I even went to a local non-Camping World RV shop and they were unsure how to work on the Scamp and wanted to charge way too much. So if you can install a furnace, including fiberglass cutting, electrical and propane work, then thats a good plan. But it might be better to settle for the furnace that Scamp uses and actually have heat when off shore power.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Adrian, I feel your pain. I also wanted a new trailer to suite my needs/wants, so ended up with a highly modified one. I like all your ideas, especially the Maxxfan, and the 12 volt refrigerator. I would not have the furnace installed, but would install a Propex furnace as it takes up much less room (none if you mount it outside under the trailer) is quieter, and takes less voltage to run it than the stock Scamp one (make sure you order the largest BTU one available).
I would look into using the black water tank as a fresh water tank, since I feel the Scamp’s fresh water capacity to be lacking. We have had two Scamps, and rarely used the awning due to sudden wind gusts out west. We really enjoy our “Clam” screen room with optional rain panels. I would also see if Scamp would install either “awning” or “jealousy” style windows, as these can be left open during rainy days, without rain entering the trailer. Can the standard 16’ Scamp be ordered with the larger bed as the 13’ can?
Best of luck with your build
Dave & Paula
Great minds think alike Propex is one of the options I have investigated to heat my van up with. I meant to put that in parentheses after the furnace option. I am also aware of the virtues of the Clam and its on my list. I haven’t decided on the awning. I like the Jealousy window idea, I will ask. The bed I understand is only available on the deluxe and my be enough to push me in that direction. I am hoping to see a Standard in person before ordering. I will be carrying addition water but do see the usefulness of having the tank converted that way as well. Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Second set of taillights ,second 12 gallon water tank, all the extra cabinets ,outside 120 plug and please don't paint those oak cabinets.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Second set of taillights ,second 12 gallon water tank, all the extra cabinets ,outside 120 plug and please don't paint those oak cabinets.
Ken
Second set of taillights? I must of missed that one, up high I assume for visibility? Would it be ok to paint the birch. You might want to stop following this thread, only half kidding. I have seen some beautiful remodels but I hear you, it’s seams crazy to me too, to paint new cabinets, but to my wife’s point it does seem dark and smaller with the wood. But again I am reminded of something else I read. If I go with Deluxe I would need the couch the full width of the trailer like the standard. As I understand it that is one of their un-advertised options. I am on the extra cabinets and plugs. Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
We were rearended and totaled. That's the reason for the taillights and its a cheap upgrade. We love the wood and your right it is alittle darker inside. Ours is the side dinette with the full bath up front.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

New Jersey
Sorry to here about your trailer hope no one was hurt. Yes you are right cheap insurance. I will definitely order that. It’s funny I like old school wood Irish bars and log cabins the wife is the opposite. Are you ordering another trailer? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
The totaled Scamp was a 2013. We ordered a new one right away. We now have a 2015. Same as the first. We love it. Get it the way you want the first time. We camp about 50 to 60 days a year.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Ken

2nd this!

Yes please don’t spend that much on wood and paint ;-) I would buy fiberglass and paint. ;-)

Fran& Michele

FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

New Jersey
Plan A: is Standard if we can fit on the smaller bed. Plan B: the deluxe with birch and the wife get carte blanche with the interior fabrics, I will even put a new countertop in if she wants. Plan C: is tell everyone I bought used with the cabinets already painted.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #14

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaschmann View Post
Plan A: is Standard if we can fit on the smaller bed. Plan B: the deluxe with birch and the wife get carte blanche with the interior fabrics, I will even put a new countertop in if she wants. Plan C: is tell everyone I bought used with the cabinets already painted.

Plan C sounds good ;-).

I think you will prefer the bigger bed. We currently have a 1983 13’ and we love it but are planning the purchase of a new 16’ deluxe as well. The great thing as you stated, work out all the details online. Lots of great ideas to help steer the planning.

FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #15

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
The last I knew (probably long ago) you couldn't get the shower without the toilet. I had assumed it was because it would require a different mold. It's a setup I would have loved to get myself. We have never used the toilet (although we keep it in operating condition and I tell my husband to use it if he needs to???) but I use the shower all of the time and feel I can't do without it. A porta potty would work great for us.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Bigger bed Is a winner! Not sure Scamp offers it, but I love the detachable power cord on our Escape. No cord to shove into a lower cabinet, very clean!

I personally hate wood cabinets inside a molded FG trailer. But a small bed is also a non-starter, unless I want to camp by myself. Part of the allure of a molded FG trailer is the fiberglass interior IMHO, something like the old Trilliums. Unfortunately, molds cost $$, so manufacturers are going wood. And here you go, I have a wood interior Escape. Love the Escape floor plan, bed size, dinette size, hate all the wood....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
short bed

bill believe it or not we make do with a 44n bed even though we have a king bed at home.

did I say rather comfy!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Thinking about ordering a Scamp 16.

Adrian,

We wanted the larger bed and we wanted to be able to sleep 2 (or3?)

grandkids inside the trailer. We also wanted maximum storage, so we got

all possible cabinets and installed a Marinco detachable power cord to allow

us to use that "cord cabinet" for storing extras (paper goods, etc.) and also

to seal up the mouse/ant/spider hole that the push-in power cord runs

through.

We got the Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A (with the oak interior) and asked

Scamp to do the "no charge" swap of replacing the normal front dinette

with the sofa/bunk-beds. (Ask Wayne Pitlick at Scamp about the swap.)

For safety, we also got the additional brake lights and we left the inadequate

and ugly stinky-slinky carrier off of the front of the trailer.

Good luck with your choices!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
...We got the Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A (with the oak interior) and asked Scamp to do the "no charge" swap of replacing the normal front dinette with the sofa/bunk-beds. (Ask Wayne Pitlick at Scamp about the swap.)...
I believe they will also build the front dinette in the deluxe A without the cabinet in the street side corner so you have an adult-length single bunk instead of the standard child-length bunk when the dinette is lowered.

A general remark about the OP's plans... be aware that while Scamp is generally very accommodating of delete requests, don't expect much of a price break. Then you have to add your after-market upgrades- solar, 12V fridge, cooktop, etc. You'll end up paying more for a trailer that is highly personalized and somewhat less re-saleable. It only makes sense if you're an experienced RV'er, very sure exactly what you want, and intend to keep the trailer for a while.

My choices... Layout 4. Curtain rod delete. Sewer hose holder delete. Powered bath vent delete. Escape hatch vent delete. Decals delete. Frosted crank-out windows behind stove, sink, and in bath enclosure. Yes to extra 110V and 12V outlets. Yes to A/C prep. Yes to a furnace. Yes to screen door. Yes to a powered roof vent. Yes to high mount taillights (switch to LED's myself). No to toilet, shower, water heater (porta-potty only). No to grey tank. No to rear receiver. No to porch light, exterior GFCI outlet, and extra upper cabinets. I go round in circles on the fridge...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #20

New Jersey
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Detatchable power cord-got it. Last night I measured out the standard bed on our bed at home-seemed good. So we are still leaning towards the Standard 16 layout #4.

I am not sure if I have read or seen a picture of the upgrade blue/grey wall liner-every picture I have seen has been tan?

As far as the fridge goes I have a large 12volt Arb in the van-so I may just go with what they have for now.

Tags
scamp