17' Bigfoot exterior rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Registry
17' Bigfoot exterior rail

Can someone tell me what this rail is for on my Bigfoot. I am thinking shelf but it's a little low.
Attached Thumbnails
20180602_090832.jpg  
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I think it was added by a previous owner. Not factory.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yep....

added by somebody...to mount something like a table or BBQ...surprised PO did not include it in the sale. It does appear to be a the perfect height for an outside dining table...under cover of the awning....

check your inside table...maybe the hardware fits the track (???). If it was me, as the screws look blackish, I would remove one of them, source out SS screws and remount the whole thing with a good sealant of your choice....BFs last a LONG TIME, regular screws on the outside rust/become loose.....I've replaced dozens on mine
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

Registry
I just took a closer look. The rail is I two pieces. One piece is missing all the screws. Nothing on the table that would connect to it. I guess I will put ss screws in and seal it up unail I figure out what could go there. Also the top off the rail is slightly curved and the bottom is straight. This means something could go in at an angle and once lowered would be locked in.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I just took a closer look too, and it appears the back rail is bent. Another thing that makes me curious is the "snap" fasteners on the bottom and up the side.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That is a common piece of extrusion. It comes with two pieces, one mounts to the wall the other to the edge of a table. The table top is held up at and angle and then as it is lowered that rounded profile captures the section of rail mounted to the table.

. Maybe it was meant to be used as an eating/working surface while seated in chairs? It seems about the right height for that purpose versus a countertop you would use while standing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I just took a closer look too, and it appears the back rail is bent. Another thing that makes me curious is the "snap" fasteners on the bottom and up the side.
The snap fasteners are for the add a room.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
That is a common piece of extrusion. It comes with two pieces, one mounts to the wall the other to the edge of a table. The table top is held up at and angle and then as it is lowered that rounded profile captures the section of rail mounted to the table.

. Maybe it was meant to be used as an eating/working surface while seated in chairs? It seems about the right height for that purpose versus a countertop you would use while standing.
Any idea where I could source the other half of the rail? Where did you that image.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #9

Name: El Jefe'
Trailer: Lil'Bigfoot
Washington
Old pop up tent trailer had something like this for the propane burner to be used outside
jn3521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot