17' Casita vs Scamp 19' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
17' Casita vs Scamp 19'

I have a 2013 Casita 17' SD.

Tow with a 2011 Tundra, Double cab, 4x4, tow package, 5.7L engine, Camper shell, Bed slide. 6.5' bed.

Like the Casita. But I need to sleep 4 adults, maybe 5 adults occasionally.

Been thinking about buying a new larger TT, possibly stick built. Not interested in the Escape, Big Foot, Oliver etc. Don't like the floor plans. Do like the Airstream 25FBQ or Twin floor plan.

But then I came across a discussion of Scamp trailers, and noticed the Scamp 5h wheel. It got me to thinking. This looks like it could sleep four adults, 2 in the overhead bed, and two by converting the table to a bed.

We like to do dispersed camping, primitive camping, take a dirt road and camp in a National Forest, State Forest, BLM. etc. But also do full hooks ups now and then.

One concern is the way the Scamp connects to the truck. It is not a regular 5th hitch. Is it strong enough to handle back country roads?

Can the Scamp hitch be discarded and a regular hitch installed? Has anyone done this?

Is the table wide enough to sleep 2 adult men? (My Sons, each about 6', 210 lbs)

Can a Honda eu3000is generator be carried in the bed of the truck with the Scamp 19 attached? Can other things be carried if below the sides of the truck bed?

Does Scamp give factory tours? (Could not see that on the Scamp website)

Any thing I am missing?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Yup. Escape makes a tandem axle fifth wheel.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
No need to worry about the hitch as is.
Yes, the hitch can changed but there is no real need.
Yes it has been done.

My brother used to say he would never sleep with a live man or a dead woman... The table bed is 78" wide and (44" deep standard) (54" deep deluxe)

Measure your Truck and then measure the generator (too many variables)

Scamp is always proud to give factory tours... (take a camera and a tape

measure!)

You probably have missed something, so keep reading... and take the tour!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Tennessee
Re Escape 5.0 TA: Is it possible to carry things in the bed of the truck if they are below the sides of the bed? My walls are about 23' high.

But I would rather focus on the Scamp 19 at this time, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
There is no issue hauling things in the bed of the truck. I have no idea of the size of your generator; but, I haul a gooseneck tripod, and a Rubbermaid Action Packer with my fishing equipment. I just have to be a bit careful within the swing radius of the “tongue” behind the hitch. The “standard” Scamp 19, also has a couch below the loft that can be turned into bunk beds. Ostensively allowing sleeping accommodation for six.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

Tennessee
Dennis, thanks for responding, I notice that you live in MN. Have you been in the Rockies or Appalachians, and how does your Nissan Frontier do in the mountains?
Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Dennis, thanks for responding, I notice that you live in MN. Have you been in the Rockies or Appalachians, and how does your Nissan Frontier do in the mountains?
I’ve not had the Scamp to the Rocky Mountains with the Frontier, so I don’t have experience at high altitudes. I have driven extensively in the Ozarks, and it handles those grades very well.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
I built my Scamp 19 specifically for unpaved fire roads. I used a Timbren axle less suspension. Although not required I was due for an axle replacement anyway. I have zero concerns about the strength of the hitch. I use standard 16k gtw 5th wheel rails (bolted to the frame of my truck) and A- frame with a steel plate on top with a 2" ball. The biggest limitation of any 5th wheel would be bed rail to truck bed clearance. As far as the generator I am pretty certain you would not have an issue depending on the size of your bed.

I actually prefer the Scamp
"mini-gooseneck-5th wheel-ish" hitch over a standard 5th wheel hitch for off-road. I have posted lots of information and pictures on my set up. If you can't find what you're looking for there let me know.
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
The wife and I visited Backus, Mn last year just to look at the Scamp 19. At a little over 5'10", I found the top sleeper of the Scamp 19 to be a little narrow. That is, it seems to taper every so slightly to the front thus taking away bed length. I don't know your height but I would recommend you lay in one before you purchase the Scamp.

I also have a Tundra and I was really hoping I could fit comfortably in the Scamp 19 as the Escape 21s are few and far inbetween used and a little out of my price range and too far away to buy new. We ended up buying a new Casita Sprit Deluxe (could never find used before it sold) and find it very comfortable for two. No way you can sleep 4 in one.

I'm thinking we will use the Casita a few years and should we decide to full-time we will look seriously at an Escape 21. That said, after a few weeks living in the Casita, I think I could easily grow old with it.

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:32 AM   #10

Tennessee
Thanks Jeff. I am also about 5'10". Or was when I was 20...not limber... and a bit wide in the girth...

We like the Casita, but would like a bit more room. I am casting about trying to find a reasonable replacement, but nothing really appeals to us. Everything has good and bad points, including the Airstreams. So we just keep using the Casita.

Also I find the seats in the SD are uncomfortable. My wife puts a small step tool in the isle and puts her feet on it, then scoots back and leans on the cushion. Says it helps with her lower back pain. I will try it this season.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks Jeff. I am also about 5'10". Or was when I was 20...not limber... and a bit wide in the girth...
We like the Casita, but would like a bit more room. I am casting about trying to find a reasonable replacement, but nothing really appeals to us. Everything has good and bad points, including the Airstreams. So we just keep using the Casita.
Also I find the seats in the SD are uncomfortable. My wife puts a small step tool in the isle and puts her feet on it, then scoots back and leans on the cushion. Says it helps with her lower back pain. I will try it this season.
I feel your pain Henry, it's hard to check off all the boxes...even when looking for the perfect daily driver. I agree with you on the SD seats but I really don't sit for more than a few minutes inside in any RV I've had other than a mid size class A with barrel chairs. You mentioned extra folks on occasion. Just going to toss this out for something to thing on. I've got an extra bedroom for visitors and it's used once or twice a year by friends or relatives. Wouldn't make much sense for me to have a bigger house when there are hotels close if needed. RVs can be rented too if needed .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
2001 19D side bath (owned since 2010)
2012 Tacoma TRD double cab, 4WD. 4.0L. auto, tow package, short (60") bed
I'm 6'4" / 250#, wife is about a foot shorter and half the weight
Camping style is very similar to yours. We avg 60 plus nights / over 15K miles per yr on the road.

I agree with Floyd on the strength of the hitch. After fabbing mine, I added a platform from the cross bar to the front of the bed. My EU3000is and 110 qt cooler fit nicely side by side on it and I have reasonably secure and dry storage for my tools below. There's room from the cross bar back for a 5 gallon Scepter fuel can, a 5 gallon bucket and various miscellaneous gear. You will obviously need to leave enough room directly behind the ball in an arc for the hitch to clear when turning.

Your sons will have to make their own call on the bed. If I were them, I'd opt for a tent.

The smaller cooler shown above was replaced by the larger one. I was just doing some test fits when this was taken.

Scamp folks at the factory are great. We were up that way last Fall and stopped by. They gave us a tour of the plant and free rein to check out any of the completed units on the lot.

We're from northeastern NC and will probably be in the Smokies a few times this summer. Let me know if you plan to be over that way and maybe we can coordinate a meeting.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Tennessee
Dave, thats pretty much what we do now. Boys live in San Jose, Fly to Yellowstone for a week, fly back home. Expect to stay in a tent again this year. The problem is we like to go where the Griz bear roam. So we would like to be together when they come a knocked, together in a heard sided trailer that is.

We have talked about them renting but it takes time. We have it, they do not.

Al, really like your set up. Thanks for the photos. Do you not worry about someone stealing your stuff out of the back of the truck when parked in towns or cities?

We hope to stop by Backus later this summer to check things out.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Henry, I use cable locks that run through the hitch towers to tie down loops under the platform for the genset, cooler and fuel can. Nothing a pair of bolt cutters and a little effort couldn't overcome but I haven't yet had a problem. Someone did open the cooler and grab a couple of beers once so the lid is locked on it now as well.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #15

Trailer: HitchHiker
Just got my first Scamp 19' last year. We fulltime RV'd in 36 foot HitchHiker and Challenger fifth wheels 1997-2003. We towed with my Ram 1 ton Diesel Dually, everywhere West of the Mississippi, and from Mexico up to and including a season in Alaska. I wrote many articles back then that are on my website. Back then I used the older style hitch that only moved forward and back. I was and am very much into tongue and bed weights, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating, and did axle and brake mods to mine. Those old articles are on my website still, the Propane, water, A/C, septic, and furnace systems have changed very little since.

I too could not figure the weird hitch and had never seen one up close. I decided to sell the small 28.5' fiver we thought we were going use weekends but never did. When they brought our rarely and gently used Scamp I found their hitch is a Reese hitch. The rails looked identical. I had the standard Reese horseshoe shaped Holland type fifth wheel hitch in my long bed Cummins Ram Diesel 2500 four door truck. We pulled mine out and the Scamp Reese hitch popped right on the same rails perfectly. The owners of the Scamp had ordered it with the taller RV suspension to fit the new taller truck beds.

Using my "uncalibrated" eyeballs, it did not seem it could get over the bed, let alone reach. Goes to show how different it was because it hitched right up to its hitch on my existing Reese fifth wheel rails and did not hit the Scamp frame. Then I'd have bet that I could not jackknife it 90 degrees without hitting the bumper to the trailer frame. Dang! It could do the 90° perfectly. On a long bed 3/4 ton Ram diesel long bed!

Remember that giant gooseneck trailers for race cars and horses that weigh much more do just fine. the the support in all directions is much better. And the ball is up at the same height as the regular fiver hitch but the hitch is not in the way of your sight without getting out. Much easier than travel trailer balls hidden behind the tailgate To hitch on the first attempt. I'll try to post some pics as we are taking it to Colorado for a month or so house hunting. Just make sure you have the rails professionally installed as they need to be bolted to the frame.

The gooseneck adapter pipes are horrible in the bed as they add too much leverage starting and stopping. These Reese are up at the correct height to be even more stable than the clanking standard fiver hitches do.

Towed by even small 1/2 ton pickups they won't overload them in most cases. (still do you math)

I also weigh each wheel of any trailer I'm pulling to identify any loading problems, weigh the trailer while hitched and alone, I weigh the truck's rear wheels hitched and unhitched to see the pin weight, and the truck solo. The weighing is easy at truck scales.

So don't sweat the hitch, you'll see.

Safe and happy travels!
Derek Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #16

Tennessee
Thank you Derek for a great write up.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Trailer: HitchHiker
YW,
Was worried it was too long. Thanks for the comment!
Derek Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #18

Name: Nelson
Trailer: 2017 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe
California
Camper shell + 17’ Casita

I’ve never seen the combinations but would a lightweight pop up cabover camper shell in addition to your existing Casita work ? I have seen trucks with cabovers towing small utility trailer.
Nelsonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #19

Tennessee
Nelson, That is a reasonable idea, but I am not sure I could carry all the extra stuff I have and add such a camper. My payload capacity is 1334 lbs. Subtract about 525 lbs for the tongue weight of the Casita (I have a Honda 3K gen on the tongue), that leaves about 800 lbs for the slide in camper.

I would like to carry at least a grill, chairs etc.

Still and all, I am going to check out your suggestion.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #20

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
Scamp bed

Having owned both 17 Casita and 19 Scamp I don't think
you'll appreciate the Scamp's 6' long horizontal bed. Your head and feet will be in the screens and one of you will be climbing over the other to get out.
MiniWinni has a new small bumper pull that'll do 4.
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp