Bolt on axel scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Justin
Trailer: In The Market
Idaho
Bolt on axel scamp

I have heard that Scamp switched to bolt on axels, anyone know what year? Looking to buy a 13' soon. I plan to add a lift and better tires for Idaho backcountry roads. Bolted axels will make this conversion much easier for a diy project

Additionally does anyone know who did this build or if there is a thread for it?
Attached Images

traildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The bolt on option will not make any real difference.
If you wish to lift the trailer, you would need to cut off either the bolt-on bracket or the axle itself. You would then have to weld on the lift tubing and then weld on either the axle or the bolt-on bracket.
The only advantage would be subsequent axle changes... Probably never.

I suppose you could weld the lift directly to the axle, then drill it to fit the existing bolt on bracket, saving one step but adding another.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

Idaho
Thanks

That's great info, looks like I need to find some welding classes, life skill I have always wanted to learn anyways!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The bolt on option will not make any real difference.
If you wish to lift the trailer, you would need to cut off either the bolt-on bracket or the axle itself. You would then have to weld on the lift tubing and then weld on either the axle or the bolt-on bracket.
The only advantage would be subsequent axle changes... Probably never.

I suppose you could weld the lift directly to the axle, then drill it to fit the existing bolt on bracket, saving one step but adding another.
Is not really that hard if you you had a bolt-on axle as was first suggested..
If you had a bolt-on axle you could bolt-on this lift kit.
Scamp (Dexter Torflex #9) Axle Lift Kit

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Idaho
Jim,
That's the exact kit I am looking at, do you know what year of scamp I should be looking for to have this ability ?
Cheers
Justin
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildude View Post
Jim,
That's the exact kit I am looking at, do you know what year of scamp I should be looking for to have this ability ?
Cheers
Justin
I do not.
But someone on here will.

Its easy to look and see if its a bolt-on though. The bolts are the clue.......

Jim
Old 09-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #7

Idaho
Ha of course they are, it will make the craigslist/eBay/Fiberglass-rv-sales.com search easier to know the year. it's a waiting game
Old 09-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Around 2010 is when I first started seeing the bolt on axles installed by Scamp. Scamp started using Lippert axles at some point after the bolt on brackets and I think there was a post from Orbital Machine that the bolt patterns was a little different between the Dexter and Lippert on the 2.2K #9 axles.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

Idaho
Thank you Eddie, Goal is to have one bought and ready to make it to a Oregon coast rally next summer with the wife, MTB riding, Rogue brewery and all the scamp candy you can handle, what could be better ?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is one post that talks about the Dexter vs Lippert axle. Not sure but I think the Lippert axles started showing up around 2015.
Eddie
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-77366.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A couple of pieces of square tubing would cost less than the shipping on the kit. Having them welded on might cost less than the kit.
The weld on brackets are available and finding a trailer with the brackets might be nice, but it should not be a deal breaker if you find a nice trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Around 2010 is when I first started seeing the bolt on axles installed by Scamp. Scamp started using Lippert axles at some point after the bolt on brackets and I think there was a post from Orbital Machine that the bolt patterns was a little different between the Dexter and Lippert on the 2.2K #9 axles.
Eddie
That is correct.
But -Lippert themselves make a similar lift kit.
They will deny it at first but I have seen the drawings...

Jim
Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #13

Idaho
Whew narrow window. 2010+ is what I will look for. Just toured one today that had a 3" lift and it was pretty wild where he had taken it in Idaho. 60% of the state is pubic land with rough forest roads to travel. I work on a trail crew and plan to use this as a base camp for work so I may also weld rock sliders around the corners and along the bottom edge
Old 09-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #14

Idaho
Great thanks everyone. I work for the Forest Service managing trail projects. I think I will also install rock sliders like this picture just in case i end up in a wierd spot, 60% of the state is public land with thousands of miles of forest roads to explore Went and toured a neighbors today, what could be better!

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp slider.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	124911
Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #15

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
bolt on axles

If you are changing your axle you should research Timbren axleless suspensions. The standard Dexter torsion axle is a primitive design, most all of these types are equally poor performers. They actually make the ride worse because motion on one side is transmitted to the other side of the camper. Not good. There is a reason people call these trailers "Rolling Earthquakes"

If you go to etrailer.com videos demonstrating installation of the Timbren axle are clear and it looks pretty straight forward. These can be bolted or welded, will eliminate the axle leaving a lot more clearance and can be purchased with lifts or drops.

If you are interested in some other camper suspension designs check out Australian trailers in general, a lot of more modern and compliant designs.
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #16

Idaho
Yes I have looked a bit at the timbrens, seem nice, will require even more frame mods from what I have seen online.I looked at rugged trailers with canvas outriggers like the Australian camper but there is a real beauty to cooking inside when it's windy, Wife has fallen in love with the look of the scamp as well
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #17

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick J View Post
\The standard Dexter torsion axle is a primitive design, most all of these types are equally poor performers. They actually make the ride worse because motion on one side is transmitted to the other side of the camper.
How?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
How?

Wouldn't the frame they are bolted to also transmit motion from one side to the other and hither and yon?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #19

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wouldn't the frame they are bolted to also transmit motion from one side to the other and hither and yon?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Same frame as the Timbrens would use....
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The only kind of side-to-side motion that could be axle-related is rocking, and it typically involves single axle, leaf-spring suspensions without shock absorbers.

I have read a couple of accounts of Hunter Compacts that exhibited rocking behavior under tow. They have a leaf-spring suspension. I recall that the issue was exacerbated by incorrect and under-inflated P-radial tires. Once they switched to ST tires at the recommended pressure, the rocking stopped.

The OP might want to consider looking at Flexi-Ride torsion axles. They have adjustable axle arms to raise or lower the ride height according to conditions. I'm not sure a lift is really needed, anyway. It raises the cabin but does not increase clearance under the axle tube. Changing the arm angle raises everything.

There's no need to overdo it on the suspension in any case, unless you also beef up the frame and shell.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp