Bolt on axel scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #21

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
AXLE

I put a high lift Dexter on my Burro, It was a bolt on and has been awesome! You should contact them, I'm sure they can help.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
lift kit

I put a 4 inch lift kit in mine .And a 24 inch toung extention and new insides Did all the work my self.
Attached Thumbnails
20180828_195418.jpg   20180828_195440.jpg  

20180828_195836.jpg   20180828_195600.jpg  

MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Hi Justin,
I have a Scamp 13 that I use on rough forest roads in Idaho between snow melt and first snow. The Magruder Road and the Lolo Motorway are two that I'm sure you're familiar with, but there are many others that only have numbers. The previous owner had installed a straight axle and springs to replace the worn-out torsion axle, raising the trailer about 6 inches. While it's true that the center clearance is only as much as the height of the axle, it equals the height of the transfer case on my Toyota pickup. And as you probably know, it's usually better to run over big rocks with your tires rather than straddling them and risk getting high-centered or worse.

My advice is to go slow and be careful. I often use low range 1st gear and just crawl. Any trailer is going to get the crap beat out of it on those roads if you don't. Life in the slow lane.

Also, you don't need heavy lug tires on wheels that don't drive. They may look cool, but I don't see any advantage to them unless you where to find yourself on a steep side hill. But then I would ask, "What were you thinking?" As another forum member commented, these little trailers are not "off road" vehicles. But if you go slow and careful and choose your roads wisely, you can get to some fantastic places (and you won't see any "big rigs"). If you do that, your biggest problem may be where to turn around when you have to .

Good luck!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #24

Name: Justin
Trailer: In The Market
Idaho
The OP might want to consider looking at Flexi-Ride torsion axles. They have adjustable axle arms to raise or lower the ride height according to conditions. I'm not sure a lift is really needed, anyway. It raises the cabin but does not increase clearance under the axle tube. Changing the arm angle raises everything.

Looking at the flexi ride half axiels now, best of both worlds ?
traildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildude View Post
The OP might want to consider looking at Flexi-Ride torsion axles. They have adjustable axle arms to raise or lower the ride height according to conditions. I'm not sure a lift is really needed, anyway. It raises the cabin but does not increase clearance under the axle tube. Changing the arm angle raises everything.

Looking at the flexi ride half axiels now, best of both worlds ?
So would a Lippert or a Dexter if you order one with a down angle instead of using a lift kit.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bolt on axel scamp

The axle tube of a conventional torsion axle serves as an additional frame cross member. With Flexi-Ride half axles, as with Timbrens, frame reinforcement might be needed.

I'll say it again- there's little added benefit to an extreme suspension lift unless you harden the whole package.

In my opinion you can gain enough clearance by changing the axle arm angle to go anywhere you can reasonably expect the trailer to go. With care, I've taken my stock Scamp down some pretty rugged roads. A 0 degree or 10 degree down axle would make it better without looking like an egg on stilts (the OEM axle is 22.5 degrees up).

The Flexi-Ride allows you to lower the trailer if you're headed out on a cross-country road trip for better aerodynamics and lower step-in, and to raise it when your trip takes you into the hinterlands.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildude View Post
I have heard that Scamp switched to bolt on axels, anyone know what year? Looking to buy a 13' soon. I plan to add a lift and better tires for Idaho backcountry roads. Bolted axels will make this conversion much easier for a diy project

Additionally does anyone know who did this build or if there is a thread for it?
An AXEL is a type of jump and spin done by figure skaters

The part of your trailer that holds the wheels is an AXLE
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
An AXEL is a type of jump and spin done by figure skaters

The part of your trailer that holds the wheels is an AXLE
I thought it was a Foley!...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote