Scamp shower drain filter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
Scamp shower drain filter

Hi,

(Scamp 16 2003 front bunk, side shower)

Anyone ever had (pre-pump) inline shower drain filter clog ? Took the line into filter off and let shower tub drain in my yard. Not removed filter yet, but can they be backwashed/cleaned or just replaced ?

The pump is running and appears to be pumping, but very little output. Thought I'd go with the easiest fix first before I took the pump off and delved further.

Thanks,

Jeff
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If it looks like the one below, it is designed to have the screen cleaned regularly. The lid comes off like a fruit jar lid.
If you don't have this one, it might be an up grade to install it...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I clean this one at least twice a season. Sometimes it is leaves and needles, or hair, or, hair shampoo/conditioner, or a combination thereof. The shower sump should drain pretty quickly. When it slows down, it is time to crawl under, unscrew the transparent cover and wash the metal screen and the cover in the sink and replace it. You may need a rubber glove, not because of the water, but to get a good grip.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #4

Thanks,
I will look more closely in A.M. My son (30 y.o. firefighter = strong) looked under the Scamp for me and said it looked like it might come apart, but he couldn't get it to budge, thus advising me to get more info.
So, that's where I'M "at" tonight. So, I'll be looking for a strap wrench tomorrow.
If it breaks in the process, well I feel Scamp will sell me another one.
Unless someone has some good advice on getting it apart
Jeff
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhornsby View Post
Thanks,
I will look more closely in A.M. My son (30 y.o. firefighter = strong) looked under the Scamp for me and said it looked like it might come apart, but he couldn't get it to budge, thus advising me to get more info.
So, that's where I'M "at" tonight. So, I'll be looking for a strap wrench tomorrow.
If it breaks in the process, well I feel Scamp will sell me another one.
Unless someone has some good advice on getting it apart
Jeff
no other advice.. you are right.. assuming it is like the photo Floyd that posted, use a strap wrench if needed and just get that clear housing unscrewed. And if it breaks, the housing or pump is easy enough to replace.

BTW, I have never had to clean the shower pump filter.. but that might be for the reason that a total of ONE showers have been taken in my Scamp
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #6

Thanks all,

Well, I'm the second owner of this Scamp and I''ve had it for 12 years and didn't realize there was an in-line, cleanable, pre-pump strainer. I'm pretty good about preventative maintenance, but was unaware this could be an issue.
But, now it'll be on my list !
Thanks all.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with everything said. I dont clean mine as often- well for example, I havent gotten to use my Scamp this year! I DID clean the Fantastic vent/screen yesterday.

Once piece of advice, you MIGHT want to line up a source for a quick purchase of the filter BEFORE removing the cover. If yours is like mine, it's outside underneath. Plastic gets brittle and since you've never had it off, well...might want a "Plan B" in case it breaks if you're getting ready to go camping.

Otherwise, as Floyd shows, they're easy to clean....can be kinda messy.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
As can be seen on the picture that Floyd posted, this one is castellated and I would presume that a special wrench can be obtained from the manufacturer. It requires the right combination of squeeze and torque to get it out by hand. It was tough the first time. I know the time is coming when I start looking for that wrench to make it easier.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have found that gripping it mostly above the threaded area makes it easier to remove by hand. I have never needed a wrench. Try a glove or a cap snaffler or even just a piece of flexible soft rubber...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Don't worry the only time the filter clogs is when you are soaped up and it's raining outside and you are parked in the mud.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #11

Got it off and cleaned.
Thanks for all the good advice...
jhornsby
Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
This is why I love this site, great info here. I just picked up my Scamp 13 Sept 10th. Was having a problem with the Bath sink draining slowly. It finally stopped draining last night. Crawled under this morning and found the filter referred to in this post. My problem is that it was installed backwards, there is an arrow on the device that points to water flow to the pump. Removed the filter completely and reinstalled it correctly, now it works as it should. I will be sending Scamp a note about this. It obvious someone new might be installing them without any knowledge of how it should be installed.

Back in the 50's, if you bought a car with a dumb problem it was made either on a Friday or a Monday. Oh well this is a shake down cruise. Still having a lot of fun as newbie's, have lodged over 2k miles on this adventure. Loving it.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This is the way that the shower drain line came from the factory on my Friday build... perhaps something else to look for if you have a draining problem.

The kink slowed the antifreeze that I put in about a month after I brought the camper home. It was such an easy and inexpensive fix I never even mentioned it in my warranty claims. A new hose and an additional clamp to keep the curve in place was all it took.
Attached Thumbnails
ShowerDrainKink.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hey Gordon,
Checked the hoses and everything looks OK. I have a sink in the bathroom so I have a T fitting connecting the sink and shower before the filter. So far OK.

Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I thought that only the shower floor drain went through the filter and pump to transfer the water to the gray tank.
I thought the sink was high enough to drain by itself.
OK I just noticed that the sink was one installed in the shower and they must have it plumbed into the shower drain to save on tubing
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp