Scamp spare tire carrier issue - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well, I guess you're just one of the blessed few floyd. Here's to your next 14 years.
Thank you, I am blessed!
But , I'm afraid the spare wear is just normal.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16'
Virginia
Agree with FLOYD that it comes with the territory. Adjust the standoff nuts so that the tire when mounted just touches the rear hull of the trailer. I actually put two pieces of sealing foam on each side where the tire touches about six-inches long to keep the tire from rocking too much. Keeps the bottom of the tire off the hull so water does not collect in the cover. I cut a couple of holes in the tire cover and installed a couple of big copper grommets, and keep this at the bottom of the tire when installed so water will drain out of the cover.

Happy trails..
crawlbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #23

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
I'd be wary of moving the spare to the tongue unless you know that the added tongue weight will be beneficial.

Could use an abrasion resistant tape on the trailer body to reduce or avoid damage, though the adhesive probably won't be kind to the paint should you ever want to peel it off. McMaster.com sells a thin, self-adhesive teflon tape in sheets that could work. Or the ultimate is probably the 3M 'Helicopter Tape' sold by Pegasus Racing and other road racing vendors.

Could build a carrier that attaches to the rear bumper to carry the spare. Assuming that the rear bumper can carry the weight.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #24

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Another thought would be to attach 3 self sticking felt dots to the inside of the spare tire. The kind that goes under chair legs. One at the top and two at the bottom. Over time the felt stickies would sacrifice themselves. But at least they wouldn't scuff the finish and water should leak out the bottom. I do like the idea of grommets in the bottom of the spare cover.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #25

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
Could build a carrier that attaches to the rear bumper to carry the spare. Assuming that the rear bumper can carry the weight.
Not advisable if it is one of those thin "tin foil" sewer hose bumpers. They have absolutely no strength to support anything but a plastic sewer hose. Bouncing down the road, it would buckle under the weight of a spare tire. Just a bad idea.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
Quote:
Not advisable if it is one of those thin "tin foil" sewer hose bumpers. They have absolutely no strength to support anything but a plastic sewer hose. Bouncing down the road, it would buckle under the weight of a spare tire. Just a bad idea.
Which is why I said "Assuming that the rear bumper can carry the weight." So, build a better bumper. It's not rocket surgery.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
I disagree emphatically, since I built the bumper shown below and it is very substantial as well as light weight and functional. While I choose to keep the stock spare mount , I am confident that it could be used to support the spare, and certainly to give supplemental support if needed.
The stock bumper with the optional receiver could support the spare easily.

Just for general information.... The stock steel rim with a 175/80-13 Carlisle Radial HD weighs 29 pounds, about the same as a good mountain bike.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   scamp pictures 005.jpg  

scamp pictures 015.jpg  
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Floyd.... very nice
I follow a lot of your comments and suggestions all seem well thought out... you are a great resource
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Floyd.... very nice
I follow a lot of your comments and suggestions all seem well thought out... you are a great resource
Thanks for your kind words
Old 10-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I finally went outside and took a picture of my spare tire support to show. I made two wedges that slide along the top of the bumper and they cradle the spare and support its weight. The three bolts that hold the tire are adjusted so there is a small, ~ 1/2 inch gap between the tire and the shell. I opted for this solution because my next spare may be slightly smaller, by the amount of tread wear*. These wedges are pulled together lightly by a bungee cord, which also keeps them from becoming lost. When the cover is in place, this is covered. Here is a pic.

*) I'll be replacing my tires soon, they have about 50k miles on them and one will become the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050901.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #31

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
Which is why I said "Assuming that the rear bumper can carry the weight." So, build a better bumper. It's not rocket surgery.
I know it's not rocket science. I cut off the 4" tin foil bumper years ago and welded a section of 3" square channel that is 3/16" in wall thickness to the rear of the 3" main frame rails. Under that I also mounted a section of 2" receiver tube to hold my Stow-Away box on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
RearBumper.JPG   IMG_0005_2.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember2.JPG   small_IMG_0004.jpg  

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #32

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I disagree emphatically, since I built the bumper shown below and it is very substantial as well as light weight and functional. While I choose to keep the stock spare mount , I am confident that it could be used to support the spare, and certainly to give supplemental support if needed.
The stock bumper with the optional receiver could support the spare easily.

Just for general information.... The stock steel rim with a 175/80-13 Carlisle Radial HD weighs 29 pounds, about the same as a good mountain bike.
Yes floyd, but that bumper on your trailer is far from the "stock" bumper it came with. I'm referring to those cheezy thin-walled factory sewer bumpers. And although those bolt-on receiver adapters made for the 4" sewer hose bumpers are built OK in themselves, the flimsy thin sewer hose bumpers aren't made to withstand any real load on them without collapsing unless they are reinforced, as you have done.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp has never used the thin-walled sewer hose bumpers.

The Scamp-supplied receiver, however, does not attach to the bumper only. Scamp welds an additional full-width frame cross-member under the rear of the cabin. The receiver is welded to both the bumper and the cross-member.

So, I wouldn't assume the Scamp bumper alone is capable of carrying the spare without some reinforcement.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Yes floyd, but that bumper on your trailer is far from the "stock" bumper it came with. I'm referring to those cheezy thin-walled factory sewer bumpers. And although those bolt-on receiver adapters made for the 4" sewer hose bumpers are built OK in themselves, the flimsy thin sewer hose bumpers aren't made to withstand any real load on them without collapsing unless they are reinforced, as you have done.
Actually , in order to accept the RV bumper end plug the square tubing had to be thin, about the equivalent of schedule 10 pipe. The whole additional bumper weighs only 11 pounds. It is welded to the original Scamp bumper and is reinforced on the back with a length of unistrut and bumper guards made from the foot of an old weight bench.
It is though, as you say, much stronger than some of the OEM sheet metal bumpers now being produced.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp has never used the thin-walled sewer hose bumpers.

The Scamp-supplied receiver, however, does not attach to the bumper only. Scamp welds an additional full-width frame cross-member under the rear of the cabin. The receiver is welded to both the bumper and the cross-member.

So, I wouldn't assume the Scamp bumper alone is capable of carrying the spare without some reinforcement.
True....The problem would be flex, not so much strength. Which is why I mentioned the optional receiver, which is stabilized by being attached to both the bumper and an additional frame member. The original Scamp bumper is really overkill as far as strength and thickness, but it is just a piece of angle iron.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I carry my trailer spare in my tug. That way it doesn't get stolen when I boondock.

Yup that seems to be a big problem. There must be hundreds of spare tires stolen every hour of every day.

Tags
scamp