New Scamp Pick-up on Friday! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
New Scamp Pick-up on Friday!

Well, the wait is coming to a close. I received a call from Kent at Scamp last Thur. that my new 16' Layout 4 was ready to be picked up. About a week and a half earlier than they anticipated. My 1999 13' sold this past Sat afternoon. I pick up the Certified check from the bank this afternoon, and will head to Backus tomorrow afternoon. I have a pick-up time scheduled for Friday, late morning or early afternoon.

Unfortunately, none of the campgrounds around Backus are open past Oct 15, so I will just have to head back towards Michigan until I find someplace to spend a couple of days checking everything out except the water system, since it is regularly below freezing this time of year at night. I'll just have to trust that there will be no major issues.

Looking forward to the added amenities and substantially more counter space I will have. I did order it without a toilet, but with a shower. I will install a composting toilet like I had in the 13' - loved the simple maintenance and total lack of odor. Plus, when I do want to use the shower, I can very easily pull the toilet out of the very small bath in the #4 layout and have a lot more elbow room. Yeah, I know, will still be pretty short.

Just a few more days now!
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very exciting, Lyle! Congratulations, and happy camping in your new Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
New Scamp

Congrats, and many camping adventures for next year!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Congrats, and wave as you go by (I'm in Minneapolis area), unless you are going the northern route through the UP.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Limited camping still available

Some state parks are still open for camping, although the water has been shut off for the season

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_pa...00239#homepage

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

None
Thank you Mark. I made a reservation at Moose Lake State Park, they are open until 11/11/18.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Congratulations Lyle!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Yes, Congratulations. You may also find primitive camping in parks of small cities and towns.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #9

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
YAY!

Congratulations! Sounds like you've done some real planning and figured out what will work for you.

Here on the southern Oregon Coast it's almost like there's been a Scamp "hatch" this month. I've seen a definite uptick in the number of units being happily towed along, looking for adventures. The weather is starting to be dicey, rain-wise, but we're still having some beautiful clear, sparkling days.

If you've never been to the Oregon Coast, you need to come see us. We always have room for one more FG trailer!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: scamp 19
Illinois
Lyle, Congrats! Did you end up staying at Moose Lake State Park? I pick up my new scamp tuesday and was thinking of stopping there. Let me know what you think of the campground.
BOGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Congratulations
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Have a great time. We just got ours home the end of September and are just starting our first real trip in it. We're getting better organized every day.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGDOG View Post
Lyle, Congrats! Did you end up staying at Moose Lake State Park? I pick up my new scamp tuesday and was thinking of stopping there. Let me know what you think of the campground.
Yes, I stayed two nights. I just used jugs of water, but the sites were quite nice. All the facilities and museum are closed. Electricity was on. I was the only person in the campground that I know of. Very close to I-35, and close to the town of Moose Lake. Very convenient.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #14

None
Well, I just got home from picking up the new Scamp a few hours ago. Was a long trip back! I stayed the two nights in MN during the nice weather, then got hit with wind, rain, snow on the way back. The snow was pretty bad in northern Wisconson and the western UP of Michigan. Two to three inches of very slippery, greasy snow on the highways - very little traction and no snow plows clearing it. The further east I got, the worse the snow got. Finally, I found a campground in Bessemer, MI that was still open and had electrical hook-up, so I called it quits to wait out the storm there. Continued to snow until about 6:30 PM. Luckily, the ground was not frozen yet, so when the rain started, the snow pretty much all melted by morning. The entire day Mon was high winds and rain most of the way across the UP and down to Hartwick Pines State Park in the lower Peninsula where I stayed last night. Really nice sites there, quite private. The showers and flush restrooms were closed for the season, but the electric was still available. They will be closing for the year on Dec 5th, I believe.

As far as any problems with the Scamp, all I've found was one of the cabinet latches needs to be adjusted. Also, the bottom of the door doesn't seal as well as I would like, not as well as my old 13 did. No water came in, but you can see some light through the crack at the bottom.

Finally, the tiny little cabinet beneath the refrigerator (I have the larger option, so it is right next to the door) got some moisture in it. I'm thinking that it came in through the refrigerator vent. I recall reading that some folks had problems with the new style vent letting wind driven water in. I suppose two days of driving in rain, snow and wind might cause the issue. I'll check things out closer tomorrow. The cabinet isn't soaked, but it has a carpeted floor, and it was damp to the touch. I left the door open and have an electric heater on for overnight.

Ok, one more thing, after sleeping in the trailer, and using all the lights for the past four nights without issue, this afternoon I went to turn on the bathroom light and nothing. The light by the sofa wouldn't work, nor the one over the stove - obviously, first place to look were the fuses. Sure enough one of the fuses had blown. I replaced it and all is working again - hopefully it was just a fluke bad fuse. Time will tell.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new trailer. The added counter space makes things sooooo much nicer when cooking, or doing anything actually. An entire 3 1/2 steps from dinette to the front sofa!!!! I could pace the floor in this trailer if I wanted!

I believe I will try the trick of unscrewing the sofa back from it's mount and laying it flat, using it as a single bed. By using the sofa back for the bed, you get the widest use of that space. Worth giving it a shot.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #15

Name: Connie
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Hi Lyle,
Congratulations on you new FB scamp. Sounds like you had quite the adventure on your way home. May you always have fun.
Happy Scamping,
Connie
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp