Cloud 9 4 sale Thanks for the help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1965 Cloud Nine
It is with sadness that I make this posting today. After a lot of soul-searching, I am going to sell my Cloud 9 trailer. I have loved renovating it, and loved using it; but a long hard look at the budget has convinced me that I need to let it go.

I'm putting it on eBay tomorrow; but before I do, I want to post my before, during and after pictures, and, especially, to thank you all for the excellent community and the indispensible information I found on this site. When I had questions, you all posted answers, often within minutes and always within hours. But mostly I didn't even have to post questions, because a quick search led me to the information I needed.

I've attached to this posting three "before" photos and two "during" photos; I'll follow this posting with three "after" photos. Perhaps the most amazing photo of all--to me--is the picture of my baby. Could she have ever been that small? And could she ever have been willing to just sit there in a car seat while I actually got something accomplished?

The story behind the photos: Last summer, I bought my trailer--won it on eBay, and my partner drove the 10 hours down to Asheville, NC, to pick it up. It was structurally solid, but it smelled like a trailer that hasn't been used in a while, the interior was battered and tattered, and everything needed a tune-up--the brake lights worked erratically, interior and exterior wiring needed attention, there was no VIN number, the door was practically falling off its hinges, the floor was curling up, and the upholstery was so old that it was crumbling in places. The trailer had been well-loved but needed some serious attention to bring out its inner beauty.

I washed everything down with everything I could think of (mostly Mr. Clean and TSP), pulled up the old floor and put down a new one (including molding), recovered everything in sight and covered the exposed particle board with retro white vinyl, worked with the DMV to get a new VIN, pondered the electrical system for hours and then wired and wired and wired in the heat of summer, installed new hinges, learned from you all how to use the water pump (put my finger over the tap to create a vacuum!), painted all the interior woodwork and metalwork, and dreamed of painting the interior and exterior and installing an air conditioner. I took it cross-country to see my family in New Mexico and Colorado, and took it to the Delaware beaches, and fantasized about everywhere else it would go with me.

But in the end, I just can't see holding on to it when my daughter's college fund is non-existent and we're down to $100 every week for food and gas....

I hope you all enjoy the photos, and please cross your fingers for my eBay sale! As my partner's grandfather says, I hope to see you all down the road a piece.

--Angela
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_dinette_before.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	4385
Attached Thumbnails
front_dinette_before.jpg   floor_during_1.jpg  

floor_during_2.jpg   kitchen_before.jpg  

Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #2

And here is Part II--the after pictures....

Name:	kitchen_after.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	4390

And an after photo of the baby, of course....

Name:	Ella_after.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	4396
Attached Thumbnails
rear_dinette_after.jpg   front_dinette_after.jpg  

Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
someone is using the porta potti at a young age!

I am going to move this to the for sale section in case any members wish to make you an offer.

Good luck with your sale, and I can see where the focus needs to be. Does she use RV paper?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Thanks for sharing your story and photos, Angela. You obviously have put a lot of love and work into the Cloud 9. Good luck with selling it.
Charlene
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #5

OK, my trailer listing is up--please keep your fingers crossed for me! Here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT

I'm not, by the way, the only person in the family selling off something cherished--my partner is selling our 1975 Honda Trail 90, the world's coolest dirt bike, with Tonka styling:

We are going to be less cool and more financially responsible....

--Angela
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Anglea, it's just a delightful trailer and I think you shall have no problem selling it! Your work looks impeccable!

Why, I have a cousin that's looking to buy one. Do you have a reserve price you're asking?

You may PM me, if you prefer.

May I ask where you picked up the flooring and the brand? I love it!

Good luck to you and your beauiful little girl!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #7

Gigi--I don't want to reveal my reserve price (I'm superstitious!) However, if it isn't met but offers come in that are close, I would happily entertain them, especially if they come through this forum.

About the flooring: It looks great, doesn't it? And it was CHEAP. It's just Armstrong vinyl floor tiles from Lowes--$29 for 45 square feet. You can special order it in all sorts of excellent colors--it took less than a box to do the trailer. (There are other expenses--the nasty mastic to stick it down, which was about $7, and lots and lots of leveling compound to fill in the old tiles--I can't remember what that cost). You can cut it with an x-acto knife and some patience. My sister-in-law talked me into laying the tiles on the diagonal (she's a carpenter) and this disguised the fact that the trailer isn't perfectly square. After I laid the tiles, I just used screen trim--this very narrow, very thin molding--which I spray painted and mitered to fit, to hide the edges of the tile where I goofed.

Does your cousin live in the mid-Atlantic? I'm about 60 miles south of DC--an hour from the southernmost point of the Beltway--and 2 hours south of Baltimore. I would be happy to have people come look over the trailer in person.

Here's a link to the tile I used--it's to the white, which Lowes always has in stock. But in the stores, they have teeny samples of all the other colors, and it takes about a week for them to come in.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

--Angela
Old 08-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
angela, sorry you are giving up your eggbaby but i'm sure its adoptive family will love what you have done. and of course the REAL baby is going to provide much more fun.

i did not notice a measurement, what size & weight.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 AM   #9

Alice--it's 900 pounds & 13 feet--it's up and running on ebay, see my other post to this forum. I realize now that I should have posted the link to the auction as a reply to this post--if anyone with the godlike powers of a moderator wants to combine them, that would be great. I was so rattled at actually committing to selling it by starting the auction that I wasn't really thinking clearly....

Thanks for the adoption language--since our real baby is adopted and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me, it does reconcile me to giving up our, in your wonderful word, eggbaby! I was thinking about how my brother did the same thing a couple of years ago. After kid #2 or 3, I can't remember which, he finally sold his Springtime Yellow 1964 1/2 Mustang Fastback, which he'd owned since he was 14 years old. If he can do that, I can do this!

--Angela

Merged topics
Old 08-17-2006, 08:15 AM   #10

Trailer: none but No Trailer Yet
Is this trailer still for sale?

Stephenie
Old 08-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi, Anjela - wow! what an adorable trailer! Is it still for sale? I'm very interested! I've been searching for one, and yours totally rocks. You put so much work into it - it's inspiring. I am new to this forum - it's great!
Miriam
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Fyi still an active auction: End time: Aug-20-06 17:30:00 PDT (2 days 5 hours)

Old 08-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #13

thanks, Donna! Miriam
Quote:
Fyi still an active auction: End time: Aug-20-06 17:30:00 PDT (2 days 5 hours)

Old 08-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #14

Hi, Anjela - if you still have the cloud9 for sale, I am very interested, and will be finding out about shipping options tomorrow. Thanks! Miriam
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Angela - is it sold yet?

Tags
cloud