Bigfoot sewer and water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Bigfoot sewer and water

I have been and will continue to look at videos and search stuff online, but humor me if you want...

This is my first time with a camper that has sewer, a water pump, and a water heater and shower. I've been checking out some videos and reading some threads here, but if anyone has any advice specific to Bigfoot that might be different or unique, or just in general wants to give me some advice on how it all operates and tips/tricks, that would be cool. Like where I should be looking for drain hoses on my camper to make sure it even has everything I need to be fully functional.

Some of the specifics I'll have more questions on once I get out and try to do this stuff, but I figure the more I can learn leading up to actually using any of those systems, the better...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We'll be in the same situation when we pick up our Bigfoot Silver Cloud in six weeks! There will be lots of questions, for sure.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The Rhinoflex 15' sewer hose, complete with the white, 90 degree elbow, will fit into the rear bumper of my Bigfoot.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...lex+sewer+hose
Old 03-03-2016, 04:02 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Zach is doesn't matter if you have a million$ Provost or a 30 year old trailer, the sewer hook ups and operations are the same. I like the Rhinoflex hose as it seems to be a bit tougher than the cheapies. Empty the black tank first, then the grey as it kind of cleans the hose from the black drainage. Still have to rinse it but not as much. If you have full hook ups, leave the black tank valve closed as you need the volume in it to complete the emptying the solids in it. The grey can be left open but I would keep it closed and use it's contents to flush the hose after opening the black tank. Don't over think it, it's not rocket science. Don't know if there is any quirks for your trailer but on a Casita the grey tank can take a longer time to empty than most.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I converted our Casita hot water tank to electric. Almost 4 months of steady use now and very happy with it. Dave, I was told by another Casita owner that the vent kit from LHC helps the grey tank drain quicker.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
The past year I bought my first trailer with sewage and camping companion had spoken of "Sewer Solution" saying he was very satisfied.

I bought a kit of 3 inches. I have not even used once, still new.

I bought the "Sewer Solution" began to use and I love, even if it is not the hottest moment of my day, but it makes it more acceptable, especially when I see other campers, who have the big pipe work.

Watch the video, it shows very well how. I admit I was skeptical at first, but I soon found out the obvious.

With my Bigfoot 17', I had to buy the 3 inches extension, I think 12 inches long, to properly remove and elbow 3 pouces / 45 °, because my original Bigfoot and low axle.

The kit contains a hose 10 feet, to which I will add an extension of 10 feet, I can buy separately. With 10 feet additional, occasionally it would be better in certain locations ...

Some videos that show this system, explain that when you put pressure system to the inside, that this gesture cleanses residues laying in the bottom of the black water tank, which is not the case .. .

It remains to add, as shown in the video, the second hose that is used to clean the black water tank.

Look the video and observe :

Sewer Solution - Valterra SS01 - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Montana
Wow, that's pretty nice. So I guess the water hose that hooks in breaks up larger...chunks...so that they can fit down the more narrow drain hose? That looks like a really good thing to have. I guess I'll need to use my camper a bit before I decide on something like that, since it's kind of expensive. I start working again in May, so I'll be able to think more seriously about stuff like this.

Thanks!

I know I've got a sewer hose in the bumper, I'll check to see what it is. Will it say Rhinoflex on it? Or how will I know if mine is "cheap" or not?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
As others have said, sewer hookups are pretty universal from RV to RV. The best advice I can give specific to a Bigfoot, especially an older one with a steel bumper, is to slide a section of PVC rain gutter material into the bumper after you've pressure washed it out as best as possible. The inside of these bumpers rust badly and the scale will tear a sewer hose up in no time. The PVC rain gutter will provide a smooth surface for the hose to slide on as it's inserted and removed.

Also, make sure the bumper cap is a good snug fit. They vibrate loose easily and then the hose creeps out while you are moving and if you don't notice it in time, it will hit the pavement and the shredding will begin.

When I'm hooked up, especially for multiple days, I leave both dump valves open. The gray water tank will fill quickly if the valve is closed. Then in the morning before I do anything, I close the gray valve then I take a shower, make breakfast, wash dishes, etc. Just before I unhook I open the gray valve to flush the lines with the freshly accumulated gray water.

Everyone has their own preferred way of doing this but this is what has worked best for me with my Bigfoot and I've never had any problems with the waste water system since I adopted this process. YMMV.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

Montana
Thanks Mike. Definitely good to know. I'll do that.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Rhinoflex is the only sewer hose I know of that is black with orange fittings at the ends.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #11

Montana
Perfect, thanks Tom.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
my 2002 waste outlets were 3" bayonet for the black tank, pointed straight down, and a regular garden hose fitting for the grey tank, in an awkward location.
With the original dropped axle everything was quite close to the ground and very cumbersome to access.
After I raised everything with a straight axle and spring over conversion I had enough room to replace both waste lines and connect them to a common 3" bayonet outlet like a modern system. I had done the same conversion to both of my old Casitas and knew I couldn't settle for less. The improvement in convenience and time at the dump stations is wonderful.

Walt
Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #13

Montana
Ok thanks Walt. When I get back home I'll look under there and see what I've got.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #14

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Your hot water tank has a bypass & drain, there is also a drain under the fresh water tank hard to see standing. It would be a good idea to put a little bleach in the water holding tank then fill with water to clean it out. Your water pump is located under the bench next to the closet. Make sure you have a pressure reducer between the water inlet and trailer.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

Montana
Thanks, I'll get under there and locate all that stuff next week.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Zach
On mine, the water heater and bypass are inside, under the front bench, driver side.
The fresh water tank is underneath and just behind the axle and the drain tube is easily visible, also on the driver side.

Walt
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
One of the great tips I learned on this forum is to put a couple of bags of ice cubes into the black water tank by flushing them down the toilet.

The ice cubes break up waste matter when I am driving my RV to the dump station.

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #18

Montana
I think I saw that mentioned somewhere while I was looking around...Yeah, sounds like a great idea!

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There was a video posted here some time ago where they used a clear plastic tank and ice cubes to show that the technique was totally ineffective. They drove the tank around in the back of a pickup truck and the ice cubes just sloshed around and didn't clean the tank at all.

Here's the link to the video. Make up your own mind after watching:
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Rhinoflex is the only sewer hose I know of that is black with orange fittings at the ends.
The Rhinoflex is my preferred slinky hose as well. Packs up well. But the hose part on mine is actually brown not black.

They are solid in a lot of places even Walmart carries them locally.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot