SCAMP axle question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16
Texas
SCAMP axle question

Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking about purchasing a 16' scamp with wheel hub broken off. I did some researching and the drive axle seems to be welded on to the chassis. Does anyone know if I can purchase a hub replacement from the factory?
Fibernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
To know for sure, you would need to call them. If they don't have one, they can probably get you in touch with the axle manufacturer.

How old is the axle? If it is getting on to 15 or 20 years, It may be a better idea to just get a new axle. Torsion axles eventually wear out and loose their ability to absorb road shock.

I replaced mine on my 1999 13 ft Scamp this past spring. Ordered the complete axle from Scamp - quicker than ordering from the manufacturer. Had a local shop cut off the old axle, then, with phone instructions from Scamp, fabricated a mount that allows the axle to be bolted on. Next time the axle needs changing, it will be much easier.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Did the axle break ?? The hub attaches to the axle spindle with just one large nut. Replacement hubs are readily available from many online and local sources. If the spindle is bent or broken or damaged, the axle needs replacement. Can you post a photo?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibernewbie View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking about purchasing a 16' scamp with wheel hub broken off. I did some researching and the drive axle seems to be welded on to the chassis. Does anyone know if I can purchase a hub replacement from the factory?
Trailers have "trailing axles", not "drive axles"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp