Fresh water tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
One more thing I can usually make that 10 gallons last for at least 2 weeks.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #22

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
okay, since we're on this subject, I have a question that's been driving me bananas. Before I started my trip, I filled my tank half way with water, about 12.5 gallons. On the first night I turned on the water pump and primed all the lines. The next day I checked my tank and had "lost" half of my water. After fretting quite a bit about maybe having a leak in my new Casita, someone at a park in Yellowstone told me about filling up the hot water heater. Aha, mystery solved, nerves calmed. Here's my question... when I got home, I purged all the lines and emptied the tank, not necessarily in that order, but does the hot water tank stay full after the initial fill-up or does it empty with purging the lines. What I read and what I'm told by friends is often vague and confusing.
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #23

Texas
my bad. I guess you answered my question on page two. Didn't see a page two until I posted my question. So am I right that the hot water tank always stays full unless drained from outside? Even if I empty the fresh water tank and purge all the fawcetts? (How do you spell fawcetts?)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The Casita's overflow/vent pipe is at the rearmost top of the tank and runs nearly horizontally to the vent into the fill door. Although some Scamps and earlier Casitas have a cup-like fill. At any rate I lose a gallon or two from the fill station to the camp site from water sloshing in the tank and out the overfill. One project (far down the list) is to lengthen the hose and move the tank connection to the forward part of the tank to eliminate the "slosh-loss". Sloshing forward would lessen the amount of water pushed "backwards" and also lost from any time there is a slight tilt backwards.

If the vent outlet was higher than the tank connection I'd lose less but it would be a higher lift for when refilling with a water jug.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #25

Name: Mickey
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I too found my tank with less water than when I started out. I found no leak, but surmised that the water rushes forward during braking and the resulting pressure sends water out the vent hose which is located on the front of the tank. So I installed a valve on the hose and it no longer happens, at least when I remember to close the valve. That said, I only lost about 3-5 gallons. I don't see how the whole tank could empty.

Cheers, john
I'm looking into installing a valve on the overflow as well. Plus when I'm filling up the fresh water tank, I will run pump to fill hot water tank to see if that will help.

Thanks for everyone's input.
MsMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I too found my tank with less water than when I started out. I found no leak, but surmised that the water rushes forward during braking and the resulting pressure sends water out the vent hose which is located on the front of the tank. So I installed a valve on the hose and it no longer happens, at least when I remember to close the valve. That said, I only lost about 3-5 gallons. I don't see how the whole tank could empty.

Cheers, john
I am not sure a water tank vent is even necessary. Seems the lid on the gravity water fill is not airtight. Any makeup air needed during pumping could come in around the leaky seal. (On the other hand the pump is strong enough to collapse the tank if no make up air allowed to enter.) I've noticed the rate of fill / burping seems the same whether the vent valve is open or closed. But my vent line remains and the valve keeps my tank full. BTW. The vent line seems to snake around above the tank in what seems an attempt by Scamp to prevent the automatic dumping of water while in motion. Perhaps the variety of experience may result from various tube routing. Who knows?

Many folks like to tow with the fresh water tank empty. I like to use my high quality home water as long as possible and the extra weight in the rear of the Scamp lessens my tongue weight. My Subaru tow vehicle wants the tongue to weigh less than 200 pounds. The 90 pounds of water seems to drop the tongue weight about 15 pounds. With a few additional mods and hocus pocus I achieve the 200 pounds.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #27

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! You have taken me from "No clue" to an appreciable understanding of how the water system works in my Scamp. I think I get it now! You guys are so smart - not to mention invaluable!
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
So am I right that the hot water tank always stays full unless drained from outside?
Yes
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
One ?? I have never used my HWH yet. I was under the impression when hooked up to city water, all you have to do is turn on the HW faucet and that will fill the HW tank. is that correct. I have turned on the Hw faucet and water came out, just not hot, b/c the heater was not lit. Just need the pump when using the fresh water tank w/o city water.
Never took a shower in camper yet. If we need hot water all i do is heat up the elec, kettle for just what we need to do dishes or to freshen up or clean up. A little hot water and some cold water fills the sink. We use the facilities to shower. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nobody needs a hot water heater.
A cold water heater is nice to have though.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nobody needs a hot water heater.
A cold water heater is nice to have though.
So tell me Glenn, why do you have a toothbrush?

Unless you're down to your last one, its a teethbrush.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
So tell me Glenn, why do you have a toothbrush?

Unless you're down to your last one, its a teethbrush.

Is that kind of like getting a hair cut or getting all them cut?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #33

Texas
Thank you. Clarity at last. Well, at least on one thing....
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #34

Name: Ed
Arizona
My water was escaping from the vent during travel. I used one of these to stop that.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
ewauld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp