Frontier vs Tacoma for Escape 5.0? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Roke
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Frontier vs Tacoma for Escape 5.0?

Hello, all.
We are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Escape 5.0, and also shopping for a tow vehicle. It looks like a lot of folks have experience using a Nissan Frontier (V6) as a tow vehicle, and a few with a Tacoma (V6, tow package). I'd really appreciate hearing any comments, advice, etc. about making this choice. Thanks!
Roke W.
Roke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
What year truck are you considering ? I tow my Bigfoot with a 2007 Tacoma 4X4 with the off road package. Toyota had a service bulletin on this year for a free spring upgrade and after that was completed I was very pleased with the cargo capacity and ability to tow the trailer. If you are buying used make sure the spring upgrade was done. If the truck spring has 2 leafs, the upgrade was not done. Also the Tacoma has a composite plastic bed. Some special modifications will have to be done for a fifth wheel hitch. My truck also had the tow package so brake controller install was super easy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Not what you want to hear, but I love my 2014 Ford F-150 w/ Ecoboost towing a 2014 Escape 5.0TA. HOWEVER, my Ford came with a mortgage
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There are a few folks towing the Escape 5th wheel with a Frontier here, I pull a 16' Scamp with mine and am pretty happy with it. You just need to be very careful when shopping for a Frontier they do not all have the same payload capacity. For example a King Cab will have a higher payload than a Crew cab and the Pro 4x package on a King Cab is probable the model with the highest payload which you are going to want for the 5th wheel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

California
Thank-you everyone who has responded so far. So, if we wanted to move up a bit in the payload capacity, any recommendations? Tundra, F-150, something else?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
You will have to look at the weight ratings for each one, but anything mentioned will pull it, power wise.

Me, I prefer plenty of power, most scream blasphemy and prefer having only what's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check Consumers Reports and buy the best one.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I had a first generation Tundra with the V6, very similar to the current Tacoma. I liked it a lot. When it came time for a new truck, I looked at both the Tacoma and the Frontier. They are both nice reliable trucks. I chose the Frontier. It was easier to set up for towing (plug and play), and less expensive. They sell 4 Tacomas for every Frontier. As such, the dealers are not as ready to deal. Tacomas have had spring and rust issues, Frontier had a radiator/transmission issue. I believe both have been fixed. Fuel economy is in the teens which is low compared to newer designs. They both need a lot of room to turn around. Happy shopping. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I've towed a Scamp 19 with an F150 EcoBoost for several thousand miles. It doesn't boggle down when going up hills, even long ones. If I punch it at 60 it pins me back in the seat and is up to. 80 in the wink of an eye. The only downside us gas mileage, at 22 Hwy, 18 City, and 14-1/2 to 15-1/2 towing. In February, the new all-aluminum bodied F series will go on sale. 800 lbs lighter, with a new EcoBoost that I have been told by a Ford employee that will get 30 mpg Hwy. To me that would probably mean 26-27 city and 22-23 towing. Makes me wish I were looking for a new tow vehicle now.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roke W...We're now on our second Escape 5.0/ 5.0TA towed with our 2010 Frontier.60,000 trouble free miles and $10,000 less than a Taco got my attention. In some areas the Nissan's are hard to find. Our dealer had to go 200 miles for a white 4X4 SE Crew Cab Longbed.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030713.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #11

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: in the market for used
Minnesota
Need suv/truck advice to pull 19' escape or similar

Brand new to the form.
Single female who will be traveling alone. I have looked at Class A, Class C, Class B, 5th wheels...trailers. Looked at Diesel trucks... VERY expensive and not sure I want a large rig or the problems that go with it.

I have recently been looking at fiberglass trailers that I can tow behind a Toyota 4Runner (v6 or v8). Or looking at a 5th wheel, considered a Tundra. (used vehicles). I have struggled for over a year trying to decide on a configuration that is economical (truck & trailer).

I want both a reliable vehicle (have had 2 4runners one with 286,000 miles and my current with 248,000) NEVER any problems with these vehicles. I also want a RELIABLE trailer. I am open to all trailers on this forum. Will buy in late 2015/2016. Currently like the Escape 19'

My Questions:
Can you users give me some advice on a configuration (SUV/Truck and trailer) and give me your positives and negatives?

I also like the SUBARU Forester, but hesitate, since I have always driven a truck. Not sure a smaller vehicle like the Forester will have enough power in the mountains. The vehicle will be my "every day" vehicle and my travel vehicle. I am thrifty .... not cheap .. and want the best ... most cost effective vehicle and trailer.

I have recently been looking at the fiberglass trailers.... mainly because they appear more maintenance free and are light enough to tow behind a smaller vehicle. I live in Minnesota, so need insulation and double pane windows too! Will be traveling primarily in the West....mountains. Rockies. Will 1/2 time travel.... 3 to 6 months in the winter. Spending a month each in Colorado, Santa Fe, Sedona.

Nervous about traveling alone.... but will not give up on my "dream". Have had a class c... loved it, but nothing but problems. Have traveled everywhere...in every state, extensively. This time around I will travel in more state parks. So please also recommend safety tips for a single traveler. I am semi retired.... Thanks in advance for your advice!
Maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Cheryl to the group. Others will give you a lot of info. Had to smile when you said you like trucks. I've had around 100 vehicles over the years and I really only feel right in a truck myself.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

California
We've been thinking 2WD but lots of folks seem to have 4WD vehicles. Would we be better off with 4WD?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The regular Toyota trucks have a lower ground clearance than the 4X4. Toyota also makes a PreRunner which is 2WD but the same ground clearance as the 4WD Tacoma. The Prerunner and 4X4 have a greater towing capacity. In 07 it was 6500# for the Prerunner and 4X4 and 3500# for the standard 2WD. The Toyota 4X4 tow package has a 7 pin connector and a transmission cooler. 2 really nice features.

I love 4WD and I have been on some pretty nasty unimproved BLM and Forest Service roads when I was glad I had 4WD but if you only travel on improved roads it's not absolutely necessary.

When I bought the Tacoma I also looked at the Nissan Frontier and it was a nice truck also. The local Toyota dealership employees were jerks, but the Nissan dealership employees were bigger jerks. There was not much price difference on similarly equipped trucks.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke W View Post
We've been thinking 2WD but lots of folks seem to have 4WD vehicles. Would we be better off with 4WD?
While I've used the 4wd on occasion when camping the main reason I own a 4wd is because I live in snow country. Here in Vermont when it comes time to sell, you can't give a 2wd pickup away. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
In some cases such as the Nissan Frontier the 2WD has a much lower pay load cap & tow cap than a 4 WD. I am always going to go for a 4 WD as I like to ski in the winter and travel on snow covered roads.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxamillion View Post
My Questions:
Can you users give me some advice on a configuration (SUV/Truck and trailer) and give me your positives and negatives?

I also like the SUBARU Forester, but hesitate, since I have always driven a truck. Not sure a smaller vehicle like the Forester will have enough power in the mountains. The vehicle will be my "every day" vehicle and my travel vehicle. I am thrifty .... not cheap .. and want the best ... most cost effective vehicle and trailer.
Welcome to the forum, Cheryl!

Sounds like you are thinking this whole thing through carefully. I do agree a small fiberglass trailer makes a lot of sense for a single person. It means you can have a tow vehicle that makes a reasonable daily driver. That said, there is a big difference between a Forester and a 4Runner in terms of economy and towing capability. The Forester is really going to limit how big a trailer you can have. The 4Runner comes with a bigger price and fuel bill. For that reason, I would be inclined to pick your trailer first. Then you can determine the most reliable/functional/efficient tow vehicle with the capability you need.

Attending a rally is a good way to have a chance to look inside a number of different sizes and makes. The thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html is a good place to find out what different units actually weigh when loaded for travel, since manufacturer's dry weights are often misleading (there is a nice downloadable spreadsheet in post #267).

No doubt, a Toyota 4Runner pulling an Escape 19' would be a nice combo. Pricey, but nice. Both are known for good build quality. Some would consider 19' overkill for one person, but only you can decide what works for you. There are lots of options out there!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

Jon is right. Trailer first, tug second. Don't fall in love with a trailer, then find out the tug you just bought can't tow it.

All manners of tugs are found on every street corner of a major metropolitan city. Trailers will be found miles and miles away!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I would buy a limited slip differential, but I would not buy a 4WD for towing. There are several reasons, but one outstanding reason is that I would not take a fiberglass trailer anywhere 4WD was needed.
Having been a fleet mechanic I have just changed too many front hubs, half shafts transfer case components etc. The 4WD parts are not only extra weight, but are also superfluous if not redundant. They also hog most of the maintenance cost and rob fuel economy.

In twenty-five plus years of driving 2WD Rangers where drifts often have to be removed with payloaders and dump trucks, I have never been stuck.
No sandbags over the axle either.
4WD has its place of course, but for on-road towing of a fiberglass trailer, the cost and liabilities outweigh the advantages by some margin. IMNSHO.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would buy a limited slip differential, but I would not buy a 4WD for towing. There are several reasons, but one outstanding reason is that I would not take a fiberglass trailer anywhere 4WD was needed.....
There are other reasons for not wanting a 4x4. Insurance is one. I purchased a 2014 Ford F-150 (w/ ecoboost) in April of this year. In order to get everything else I wanted, I had to purchase the 4x4. DANG. I even promised my insurance carrier, I would NEVER go out of 2-wheel drive, didn't matter... it's by VIN.

AND, I have a 36 gallon fuel tank, instead of the 24 gallon tank on the 2-wheel drive. I KNOW, I KNOW.. in the end the fuel doesn't cost any more by pump. But spending more than $100 for a fillup, BITES!

Good thing I really like my truck or I'd drive it over a cliff.

And as a good friend of mine has told me... these suckers come with a "mortgage."

Tags
escape