Escape 5.0TA storage question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
We are skirting the salient aspect of this discussion. What would the Insurance Company say or do in the event of an accident? We all know that these vehicles can physically handle the Escape 5th wheel trailers.
Hi: GerriJ... I think we all know the answer. Any liability insurer will try to deny liability!!! Specially those owned by "Shareholders". That's why I switched to a Mutual insurer. Owned by the policy holders.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #22

Name: Mark
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Alf, I agree, my parents were both Auto Insurance agents in B.C., both before and after ICBC. My remark was somewhat rhetorical. Its just that if your vehicle owners manual says your vehicle is not suitable for towing a 5th wheel trailer, but you do anyway, and you are involved in an accident, and as in my case, have no choice in the insurer I use you may be in trouble. Like you it may be prudent to eliminate one or more of these if's.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #23

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
The 5th wheel hitch attaches to the frame of the truck, not the bed floor. They actually drill thru the floor to get to the frame rails.

The only truck I'd think might be problematic would be a Honda Ridgeline. I'm not sure they have a frame to attach to - aren't they unibody like cars, vans, etc.?
This is true, but the bed generally does not sit directly on the frame rails. It sits on rubber spacers, so when bolting the 5th wheel in, they have to put in spacers. I was just curious if the stresses of accelerating a larger trailer from a stop might cause issues to a non-steel truck bed between the spacers, or more to the point, at the edge of the spacers. Dunno. Might have nothing to do with it.

Agreed, first of all, that when they "forbade" 5th wheeling, the Escape 5.0 probably isn't what they were picturing. Agreed, second of all, that in the case of accident, the only thing the insurance company will care about is whether the Escape 5.0 is a fifth wheel or not.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Arizona
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Bob and Julie Send a message via MSN to Bob and Julie Send a message via Yahoo to Bob and Julie
I have sent an email to GMC asking for an explanation. My guess is that since my vehicle is a short bed at 5 ft. 8 in., they are concerned about be contact. Maybe They haven't heard of slider hitches. Even with my short bed, I believe the 5.0TA is designed to accommodate with no need for a slider. I will also contact my insurance company.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Julie View Post
I have sent an email to GMC asking for an explanation. My guess is that since my vehicle is a short bed at 5 ft. 8 in., they are concerned about be contact. Maybe They haven't heard of slider hitches. Even with my short bed, I believe the 5.0TA is designed to accommodate with no need for a slider. I will also contact my insurance company.
Reace posted pictures when the 5.0TA was first put into production. He owns an F-150, short box. Here's what he said and the pictures he posted.

"Center of hitch is approx. 30" back from cab. Box length is 5'-6".

Keep in mind, this unit was raised for a taller truck!

I turned the trailer almost 90 degrees, and still have approximately 1" space before the trailer would hit the cab of the truck.

Also a photo hitched up with tailgate down.

I love it when a plan comes together!"
Attached Thumbnails
Hook-01.jpg   Hook-02.jpg  

Hook-03.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's obvious that GM is not even aware of small fifth wheels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In the 2011 GM/Chev manual for my 1/2 ton this is what it says:

5.3LV8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg
Conventional Trailer 3.42 4 218 kg (9,300 lbs)

5.3LV8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg
Fifth-Wheel Trailer 3.42 3 629 kg (8,000 lbs)
1500 Fifth-Wheel Gooseneck 680 kg (1,500 lbs) max tongue weight

That is what I went by, unless something has changed between the years? you might want to ask that question.

Min D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape