Ex-Boler owner bought a U-haul CT-13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Ex-Boler owner bought a U-haul CT-13

I sold my Boler a couple of years ago and went back to tent camping for a while but the wife said she missed the little trailer. I'd just missed the "Trailer of my Dreams" last year - an Eriba Triton - but I kept scanning craigslist to see what other cool little trailers would pop up. Last Thursday night a fiberglass camper surfaced about 10 miles north of where I work - with a couple of pictures that showed the trailer with a full cover over it and one with a side of the cover pulled back.No mention was made of the brand but I recognized it as a U-haul CT-13 and the advertised price was very fair. The owner asked people to call between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM so I waited until 9:15 AM to call him (I'd been at work for 3 hours at this point and couldn't wait any longer).

As it turned out I was the first caller and I made arrangements to drive up and see it at lunchtime. I knew this thing would go quickly and I had a few anxious moments waiting for lunch time to arrive. When I got to the owners place he told me the phone had been ringing all morning and he had four or five people wanting to come look at the trailer. We unzipped the custom made fitted cover (very nicely done by a boat cover manufacturer in Chicago - about $700 worth) and looked the little trailer over.

It was definitely a U-haul - the owner said he bought it in 1987 when U-Haul was liquidating its rental fleet. He had a friend who worked for U-haul and the friend helped him pick the best unit out of a lot that he said must have had fifty trailers in it. He had a dealer install the roof mounted air conditioning unit to replace the swamp cooler and used it for the next twenty years or so to take his daughter on camping trips all over the country. Since he moved to Georgia he hadn't used it and his daughter is all grown and getting married so he thought he'd pass it on to someone else who would appreciate it. I asked him if the price was open to any negotiation but of course the answer was no since he was getting so many calls. Luckily I'd come prepared to pay full price so I paid up, got the title and hooked it to the back of my truck to escape with it before any one else could arrive and start a bidding war. (Sordid story of how I missed a deal on a Perris Pacer a few years ago could go here...lets just say I offered this flaky woman full asking price and she balked since she'd had someone offer $200 more without even seeing the trailer - I was the first caller on Wednesday and the first to arrive Saturday morning when she wanted to start showing the trailer to everyone who called and then she wanted to play a bidding game to run the price up).

Any way the U-Haul is very nice - I'm cleaning it up to get rid of a little musty smell from sitting for two years and plan to go camping as soon as we get a break in the heat wave. The wife is excited to have another camper and I'm looking forward to hitting campgrounds around the southeast over the next few months.

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How GREAT is that... cool story and THANKS for sharing the pictures right off the bat!

A truly great find Jack!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome to the Uhaul family! What a nice trailer! What a nice trailer cover too!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Oh hey! I recently noticed your Rover/Boler set-up on an off-road forum, and was a little sad to read the follow-up replies that you'd sold the Boler and moved on.

That U-Haul looks like an outstanding score -- congrats. Maybe too immaculate though, needs a touch of mud

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If I may ask, what is this? Click image for larger version

Name:	XS5Z6636-L.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	37129
Sewer vent?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
If I may ask, what is this? Attachment 37129
Sewer vent?
Extendable TV antenna....added by the previous owner
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Cool

Jack,
Great pictures and really a nice looking unit. I'm glad to have another CT13 owner on the forum. What year is your CT?
Welcome!!
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wow! What a Nice Looking Rig and Great Story! Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Welcome to the CT-13, what is your opinion on it versus your previous egg?
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Name: Randi
Trailer: 73 bell, 57 DaVille, 2000 Bigfoot, 57 ABC
Utah
Just curious.. ?? what price.. very very sweet rig..
torrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You do realize this is a 3 year old thread, you may want to p/m the op.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #12

I've moved on again from the U-Haul - sold it to a very nice local couple who had been looking for a fiberglass egg and they were very pleased to get my U-Haul. I had just installed a new vinyl plank floor and it had the new old stock side windows that I had scored from the salvage dealer last year. It was in great shape so you ask what could tempt me away from my fiberglass egg?

The 1978 Eriba Triton that I had lusted after four years ago resurfaced is why. Even though it's not a fiberglass egg (the roof is fiberglass however) I got the chance to finally get my hands on this 16' vintage German travel trailer. I'd kept in touch with the guy who beat me to it four years ago so that when he got "trailer disease" and wanted something a little bigger (18' Vance with a slide out) I was able to buy the Eriba that I lusted after. This 16' beauty weighs only 1400 lbs.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Nice and very rare. I'd like to see some inside pics
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #14

As requested - interior pics of the 26 year old Eriba Triton

The "kitchen" is at the front and the almost king size bed runs lengthwise down the back of the trailer - plenty of room for me, the wife and our 55lb Standard poodle

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Amazing story, and wonderful pair of trailers!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Wow. Now I want one! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #17

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Very nice. Glad you kept in touch with him.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
Eriba rules!
such a clean minimal finish.

congrats!
L
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, u-haul