Wide Body Burros? and other travel trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Wide Body Burros? and other travel trailers?

Hi, all.
I've been reading everything in the forum, and ran across a remark about the Bigfoot having an extra foot in the width, which made a big difference since the poster traveled with 2 Golden Retrievers. (I am thinking the BF is too heavy for my Toyota Siena ...)

I plan to travel with a big dog... (Don't have a TT yet.) And I've been wondering which TT had the widest body? I see there is a "Wide Body" Burro, but can't find the width mentioned. Looks like the Scamps and Casitas are about 6 1/2 ft wide, and the BF about 8' wide....

Anyone help with info regarding this?

Thanks,
Tonie

PS: I met a lady at GE&H who traveled with a Great Dane, so I know that's possible!
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Escapes are 7-7.5 feet wide.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

Alabama
Registry
Jim, thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had wondered this same thing and had asked about it on the Scamp forum since we have 2 dogs, one that is 65 lbs and one that is 85 lbs. Someone with a 16' said that they managed with one dog larger and one slightly smaller than ours. She had commented that since the bathroom door sits up far enough from the floor that the dogs didn't have to be disturbed in order to use the door.

We now have a pop-up that is 7' wide and we do the step-over and/or trip-over with the dogs. They love camping enough to go with the flow.

We have considered the EggCamper since it appears from my research that it has the largest aisle and maybe easier to or not to clean up hair - one dog is part chow!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Alabama
Registry
Cathy, thanks! It is the aisle space that I am really curious about. I'll have a 110-lb Shiloh Shepherd (if anyone is interested, you can see Shilohs at www.shilohs.org ). He is a great dog, but sheds, and is just big. . . I'd thought about vacuuming the walls if I ended up with a TT that has the carpet on the walls... I'd love to have one with just the fiberglass, or at least a smooth surface...It seemed that the 16' Scamp with the Great Dane had a little more aisle room than some of the others that I visited, which had pretty straight aisles. . . But my memory can be deceiving. Great to hear facts from everyone!
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Hi, we have a 17' wide body Burro and I belive it is 85"wide. My husband is 6'6" and he can sleep comfortably in the bed that is crosswise. The space under our bed would be large enough for a very large dog. We have 3 large storage tubs under there but because the way the shower wall and right across from that is a closet it prevented us from fitting 4 tubs. We could almost fit the 4! I would also say that in front of the door behind the bathroom wall would be big enough too.
Cathy
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

This is the link to the question I had asked and what makes it even more valuable is the photo that a wonderful poster provided: Two Big Dogs And Scamp Floor Space? | Scamp Owners International
Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Wide Body Trailers new and used

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Hi, all.
I've been reading everything in the forum, and ran across a remark about the Bigfoot having an extra foot in the width, which made a big difference since the poster traveled with 2 Golden Retrievers. (I am thinking the BF is too heavy for my Toyota Siena ...)

I plan to travel with a big dog... (Don't have a TT yet.) And I've been wondering which TT had the widest body? I see there is a "Wide Body" Burro, but can't find the width mentioned. Looks like the Scamps and Casitas are about 6 1/2 ft wide, and the BF about 8' wide....

Anyone help with info regarding this?

Thanks,
Tonie

PS: I met a lady at GE&H who traveled with a Great Dane, so I know that's possible!
We have a 1978 boler 17' unit and it is 8' wide; actually a bit more
7' 11 1/2" inside width midway, curved walls. There are not many available as to my best understanding only about 400 ever made. Other vintage trailers may also have the width wanted.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The 1500 series 17' Bigfoot is 8 feet wide. The first models (1978) were very light for their size. Our 1980 weighs 2300 lbs. with nothing in it. Later models became heavier as more equipment was added. We have towed our Bigfoot from Dallas to Ohio, Disney World, western Colorado, & all over the state of Texas with a 2006 Toyota Sienna. No problems. The arrangement of the interior yields a very large feel and is helped by 8 windows.

NW New
Mexicohttp://s293.photobucket.com/user/tomNjo/media/1980%20Bigfoot/IMG_0617.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9 Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #10

Alabama
Registry
Cathy (Avey), thanks so much for the info about your wide body Burro and the tip about space under the bed for a big dog to sleep! I would never have known that otherwise!

Cathy P., thanks for the link to the Scamp thread. I read it with great interest. The lady with the Great Dane at GE&H had a 16' (I think, maybe 17') Scamp. Knowing what others have done helps so much.

Borden, thanks so much for the info on the Boler. I know so little about the older trailers. I have so much to learn! What a shame there weren't more of them made!

Tom, thank you so very much for the info about the earlier Bigfoot trailers - and your trips all over with a Toyota Sienna 2006. It is soooo good to hear good news about the Sienna! I want a FG TT because I don't want to get a new van. I love my 2006 Sienna. I plan to use it (God willing) for many, many years to come. I will watch for the older Bigfoot units that are lighter. I love the photo. My van is a dark red. There are a lot of dark red (crimson) cars here in Alabama, but my van is not crimson. It's Texas A&M maroon! :-)

It is so good to hear about all the different TT. I am sure what we get will come down to what is available that fits our needs. It's good to hear that quite a few out there would do just fine. . .

Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it very much.
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Name: mary
Trailer: 16 S/D Scamp 2010
California
wide body

Hi I have a Scamp 16 SD, when I bought it I had a 40# Irish Terrier But he passed over the bridge and now I have an 80# lab/shep and we are two large adults 5"10 & 5"6. Our last trip and the first with this new guy we put down the side table and made a dog bed out of it. It worked out fine; kept the floor open for night time bathroom visits and he was secure in his space. In the morning we just put the dog bed back out in the truck and put the table back up. Now there is a bit of extra cleaning up involved but everyone was happy and we use a table outdoors for all most all of the food prep and eating.
marywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

Alabama
Registry
Mary, that sounds like an excellent idea! Do you have Layout A or B? Also, I've wondered if the wood in the Deluxe model adds weight?
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Mary, that sounds like an excellent idea! Do you have Layout A or B? Also, I've wondered if the wood in the Deluxe model adds weight?
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Tonie
There is no significant difference in weight when comparably equipped.
"Do I look fat in these cabinets?"
That question is about as loaded as the cliche' from which it was derived!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #14

Alabama
Registry
Floyd, sorry if I offended you. It was an honest question. I take the weight limitations seriously until I have enough experience to know where I can "fudge" it. I was thinking fiberglass weighed less than wood. Silly me. . .
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Floyd, sorry if I offended you. It was an honest question. I take the weight limitations seriously until I have enough experience to know where I can "fudge" it. I was thinking fiberglass weighed less than wood. Silly me. . .
Tonie
I looked at this some time back and it seems the wood (deluxe) was running slightly higher, maybe 150-200 lbs. Those cabinets and cupboards are small. Seems too that with the wood you can get extra cabinets or not and that would make some difference depending on that.

You are justified in taking the weight limitations seriously and your question was not silly. You know the old "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" deal.

Have you looked through this listing: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Tonie
Offended??? I don't see how.
Fact is, a Deluxe on average does weigh a bit more than a Standard, but nearly all the weight difference can be attributed to extra cabinets and equipment.
The weight of all that "essential stuff " that people bring along is the important variable.
The good news is that the shape of a Scamp makes it easier to tow loaded than much of its competition tows empty.
Check the "Frontal area" limitations for your TV. This often neglected stat is at least as important as weight.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Everything I have read is that frontal area vis a vis wind drag has more impact on fuel than weight. Granted weight does impact getting the unit up to speed, but once there it is wind drag that uses the most fuel to keep it going. That is why it takes 1/3 more fuel to go from 55 to 70 mph. On the other hand, weight, like Newton says, an object at rest...object in motion, unless you are in stop and go, it will be wind that is fighting you.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Be careful what you wish for. An 8 foot wide trailer is nice at camp, but becomes more trouble to tow.

My Oliver is 7 feet wide. That puts it at the same width as my pickup, and the wheels are in line with the wheels on my truck. What that means is that towing is care free. You know if your truck is in the lane, the trailer is too. It means if you didn't hit the mailbox with your fender, the trailer won't hit it either. It also means if you missed the pothole on the truck, you are also going to miss it with the trailer.

Stuff to think about.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

Alabama
Registry
Cathy, I have looked at that chart and appreciate the effort of Mr. Simpson to collect and publish the data. I admit that until I know the different models of the different TT makers, I have to look back time and again.... Thanks for the info.

Floyd and CPA, I have never heard of "frontal area limitations" for the TV. I did an internet search to find the limitations for the 2006 Toyota Sienna, but haven't yet found a listing for it. Could you guys explain this a little more? Thanks!
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #20

Alabama
Registry
Ron, thanks for the tip.... This is all a learning experience for me, and I appreciate the info like this that only comes with experience, from everyone here... Finding a TT that best fits my needs, and at the same time fits my driving capabilities and my TV's requirements is something of a challenge. It just means I need to learn everything I can before I jump into something...
Tonie

Tags
burro