1978 Surfside Rest'o'project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
1978 Surfside Rest'o'project

So I've started my "little" project. As with most projects, they are more than expected. The second vent on the roof is there for the over sized fridge. I'm thinking of lowering the fridge and replacing the roof section (back to original). Thoughts? The floras really bad so I ripped the whole section out and will replace it. I think, due to sagging I will need to lift the body back into shape then re fibreglass. I also found various cracks and holes that will need to be replaced.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to remove the foam insulation?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1499.jpg   IMG_1528.jpg  

IMG_1526.jpg   IMG_1534.jpg  

keithfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfwhite View Post
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to remove the foam insulation?
I'd encourage you to consider not removing it. Based on your pictures, it looks to be in fairly good shape, and a little work can make it look even better. If necessary, you can caulk seams and gaps and paint the whole thing.

If you remove it, you will have to replace it with something, new foam, or reflectix covered with some kind of headliner (Scamp uses a type of marine hull liner, carpet-like, but stain and moisture resistant). That's a big and fairly expensive project.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

You're very young to be undertaking these changes!! Good on ya! Lol
I have a 79 Surfside that I will be working on soon. I would like to move our fridge down to where the heater is too, to create more counter space, however; my wife doesn't want to have to bend over to get things out of the fridge. Also, we've been camping in feb/apr in BC and the heater proved to be a valuable item that we will keep. If you do move the fridge down and remove the cabinet, you should create support for the roof to eliminate a sagging roof. Also, it appears you had a roof vent at one time in the middle of the trailer. You should consider re-installing another one that opens/closes. It's an important feature to reduce condensation/moisture within the trailer. There are good articles on this site to instruct how to create roof curbs for your roof vents and how to deal with potential water issues.
I'll be following your thread for ideas so take lots of pics of your work!! Good luck!
surfside up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Ontario
rain rain rain... and snow

this week has not been a good weather week. Lots of rain and snow. With many leaks unknown Ive decided to remove the ensolite. UGG!! the best way I've found is to "filet" it off with an olfa blade. 1/4 inch at a time. Not fun and bloody knuckles. Gloves are suggested. lol. All in all I'm glad this ensolite has been removed as I am finding all the small leaks. And thanks to the really bad weather here in Ontario there are many leaks found. Heres a pic of the update
Attached Thumbnails
_KWP0004.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Name: James
Trailer: triple e
Alberta
....oh yeah. I remember doing that to mine last year. There's a lot of work ahead of you but it's great of fun too. Good luck and keep putting up the pics as its cool to see the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
hudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

Ontario
There's a extra corse 4 1/2" pad you can get from Home Depot/lowes. Cost about 10-15$$. I've gone though 4 but it works very well to get the remains of the black ensolite.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430278718.953702.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	83287

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430278750.882523.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	83288
I've used 1/4 plywood and pl Premium'd it to the roof. Built a rear overhead for support and now molding the gaps from the ply to the ceiling. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430278890.897318.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	83289Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430278923.128207.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	83290

Old 05-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

Ontario
Here's some updates on the project. New floor, fiberglassed to the wall.Table/bed and sink/3 burner. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432233199.297749.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	84185Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432233218.830543.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	84186Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432233251.132359.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	84187

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432233364.495309.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	84188 Used 1/4" ply for the roof applied with PL premium and installed a rear cabinet to help support the roof.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Registry
Hi Keith! I am just wondering how you were able to shape and install the rear shelf! I would like to do something similar. Any assistance would be help full!

Looks like it is starting to come together!

Thanks!

John
Bushman-esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #9

Ontario
Hi John, kind of hard to explain but here's a go. Create a level line from side to side at the level of the bottom of the shelf. You can use a chalk line but I would use a very straight length of 1x3. Then get yourself a large piece of cardboard. Like a extra large pizza box. You will be making a template with this. Do one side at a time. Using scissors or snips cut the cardboard to shape. Try to keep the cardboard longer then the 1x3. As you get closer to your shape, use a carpenters pencil on its wide edge while holding the cardboard in place and scribe the shape. Then trim. Do this a few times. Once your happy with how it looks. Trace the bottom of the cardboard along the 1x3. Cut you plywood to the maximum length minus a 1/4" and height to its maximum. Then trace the cardboard on the plywood. You can try to flip the cardboard over (mirror) and see if it's close to the other sides shape. Then use the pencil trick to get it better. If that works you will find the cardboard now too short for the 1x3. But if you measure the bottom for the cardboard at both ends to the 1x3 and the measurement is the same (let's say 1" short). When you go to trace this to the plywood make sure the cardboard is above the bottom edge buy 1". If the roof has a contour to it you can try this.
Make 6" points along the 1x3. Then measure from the bottom of the 1x3 to the roof ever 6"s from one side to the other. Then make points along the plywood every 6" and mark the corresponding heights to the plywood. Then use a straight edge and draw a line from mark to mark.
This works well The middle of the roof. These marks should also match up with the tracing of the cardboard. After you have cut the plywood you may still find it doesn't fit you can use the pencil trick (but now on the short side of the pencil) to do some fine trimming.
I hope this doesn't confuse you more. Let me know if you have anymore questions. If you would like I can try to make a video of this process.
Let me know as I'm still doing some word work with mine.
Thanks
Keith
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Kieth. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks again.
John.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
I make a cardboard template or scrap plywood like wall paneling . Ps nice job.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
I am restoring a 14 ' Surf side lots of fiberglass work .all the wood blocks in the door are powder.To much fun .I wonder what some hippy metal flake paint job would look like on it .Happy Trails
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Cupboards

Hi Keith:

I tackled the challenge of making some cupboards. A new one at the rear and a remodel for the kitchen. Thanks for your help. Turned out pretty good. A few little adjustments here and there and we are ready to go.
Adding the cupboards really increase your storage area. I also installed a new three way refrigerator. Looking for to getting out camping this weekend and trying it all out. Thanks again for your assistance.

John
Attached Thumbnails
back.jpg   kitchen.jpg  

1978 Surf Side TM-14
2013 Hyundai Tusonhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Old 06-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 1978 Tripple E Surfside
British Columbia
Registry
looking good!