Oliver or Escape - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you don't keep some money for your old, old age, you may wish you were dead.
I could buy a new tow vehicle ( 4Runner or Highlander ) and a new, larger trailer ( Escape 19 ), but neither of those will make life all that much better than it is.
And, if I need the money later, they won't help all that much.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Balance

I follow a blog called "Old Fat Man Adventures." The subtitle to his blog is "Don't wait. Do it Now." I love that as a concept. My minister has said more than once in her sermons, "Man plans, God laughs." I always thought that was a bit harsh, but I understand what she was getting at.

We all have to find that balance that works in our unique lives. I'll take my last sip of Kirkland Canadian whiskey for the night and toast to Glenn who seems to have found that balance of frugality and having too much fun.
northwinds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #63

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Well said Glenn.
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #64

Name: Dale
Trailer: Escape
West Jordan, Utah
Life is the most valuable depreciating asset we have

We spent years scrimping, saving, avoiding depreciating assets, investing, and in general worrying about money and the future. Now we live for today as we know our lives are the most valuable depreciating asset we have. If we don't invest the time now to enjoy life we may never get the time to do so. My wife and I know that all too well; we both tragically lost older sisters who were in their early 40's. One left behind a thriving business and the other did not get a chance to finish raising her 3 kids. We are now older than they were when they passed. Since tomorrow is not guaranteed, we plan to enjoy as much of today as the Good Lord gives us. The ultimate enjoyment for us is found by being out in nature with the comfort of an Escape travel trailer to provide us the creature comforts of home.
EstateOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstateOfMind View Post
We spent years scrimping, saving, avoiding depreciating assets, investing, and in general worrying about money and the future. Now we live for today as we know our lives are the most valuable depreciating asset we have. If we don't invest the time now to enjoy life we may never get the time to do so. My wife and I know that all too well; we both tragically lost older sisters who were in their early 40's. One left behind a thriving business and the other did not get a chance to finish raising her 3 kids. We are now older than they were when they passed. Since tomorrow is not guaranteed, we plan to enjoy as much of today as the Good Lord gives us. The ultimate enjoyment for us is found by being out in nature with the comfort of an Escape travel trailer to provide us the creature comforts of home.
Wise words from a young fellow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #66

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Hi all, I decided it would be easier to piggy back on this thread rather than begin a new one.

A 2008 17' Escape B just popped up on our local Criagslist for $16,500 and it caught my husband's eye.

Are they really that amazing? It looks to be in perfect condition and nicely kept under a shelter (not completely enclosed) by the owner.

There are tons of Casitas that pop up on our Craigslist and the Escape would more expensive relative to a Casita of the same size (Spirit or Freedom models) and year.

The Craigslist ad says the 17B is ~ 2000 lbs. Is that correct? We would be towing with a 2016 Toyota Sienna van.

Opinions? ETA: This was just posted in the Classifieds here on Fiberglass RVs.

John Lennon: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #67

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Amazing"? Dunno. That's a very subjective standard. By most accounts they're well put together trailers. I'd certainly have a look at it. I like the layout and roominess over a Casita of the same length. It's also lighter than a Casita, but...

"2000 pounds"? Not. Dry weight for the wet bath version is 2170 pounds per their website. That's before options, liquids, and your stuff. Per our Trailer Weights in the Real World database, average loaded weight of a 17B is 2975 pounds with a tongue weight of just over 350 pounds. For comparison, a Casita 17 SD/FD has an average loaded weight of 3200 pounds with an average tongue weight of 415 pounds. I obtained these figures using the spreadsheet link in post #297.

Based on those numbers, I'd say you might be able to tow the Escape 17B with your Sienna. You need to verify it has the factory tow package, and you might need to use a weight distributing hitch. The Casita 17 SD/FD is probably a no-go due to the high hitch weight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My 17B comes in at about 3,100 lbs loaded and has a tongue weight of 320 lbs.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #69

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
All of the recent Sienna vans are sold "tow ready" for the max listed weight -- 3000# IIRC.

It sounds as though the 17B (even one eight years old) would be too heavy for the Sienna. The one I referenced has furnace and AC.

The Casita has the wet bath in the front; the Escape has the wet bath a bit further back. I'm guessing that also has to do with greater tongue weight of the Casita.

ETA: Never mind! When I saw the Craigslist as I mentally read "Lockhart", which is close. It is actually in Lufkin, TX, a four-hour drive!
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #70

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
June Bug,
IMHO, a late model Sienna can tow an Escape 17B, or a 16' Casita, or a 16' Scamp with no problems. The 17' Casita is too tongue heavy. By the way, the tow rating is 3500 lbs. and the GCWR is 8900 lbs.

Madison County Covered Bridge, Iowa Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How about an escape owner touring the Oliver factory pondering an Oliver
posted 5 days ago "look forward to being a customer in the future when we can justify getting into a new rig"
Oliver Travel Trailers Review – Two Plus Lu
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #72

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
How about an escape owner touring the Oliver factory pondering an Oliver
posted 5 days ago "look forward to being a customer in the future when we can justify getting into a new rig"
Oliver Travel Trailers Review – Two Plus Lu
Actually I did, and I still chose the Escape over the Oliver. And it wasn't due to the much higher price of the Oliver. I had enough cash in hand to purchase either one. Escape won out for a number of reasons.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, oliver