Escape 17B and Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Escape 17B and Tow Vehicle

While I am eagerly awaiting my new 17B, I am forced to replace my TV. My old truck, a 1998 Chevy s10, is in need of a new motor which will cost way more than the truck is worth. So, I am looking for helpful input on options. I am considering gas vs diesel and V6 or V8. I can't really afford new, so I am looking at used. Or if someone has some ideas of how I can replace the engine with something more powerful, I would love to hear about it.
I have also posted this on the Escape Trailer forum. Thanks everyone.
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
While an S10 probably could pull an Escape 17B, it seems small to me for that application. I would be inclined to replace it rather than fix it.

You mentioned engines. Are you thinking of another truck? Full-size or mid-size? Approximate budget range?

I'd say gas over diesel for lower purchase and maintenance costs. Diesels are great for heavy towing because of their torque and fuel economy, but you will be unlikely to recoup the extra cost for a relatively light trailer like the Escape. Other than heavy duty trucks, the only light duty diesel truck options are the RAM 1500 Ecodiesel and Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Both are new designs and very pricey. The Ecodiesel is in limbo due to possible emissions violations.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were up against the "looking for used" issue a couple years ago when a great deal on a Casita 17 came along but we didn't have a tow vehicle that would handle it. Looking at used trucks got to be very frustrating as for what I wanted to spend would only buy a 100,000 mile vehicle. Kept raising my spending limit, still nothing good found. Finally at the give up point, just before heading south for the winter, we decided to buy the Casita and have it delivered to our house and take our Uhaul 13 south. Then on the way home from a Ford dealer we stopped at a Dodge dealer, stopped in front of a couple used trucks, salesman came running out, told him what I needed, and he says how about this Ram 1500, 4 door, hemi engine, with only 17,000 miles on it. Took it for a ride and bought it, picked up the Casita, went south. Moral of the story: keep looking, be patient, the right one will come along.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
You could visit autotrader.com and input your preferences (price range, age range, mileage limit, vehicle type, etc) in 'advanced search', and get a pretty good idea of what the used vehicle prices are like. It might help you narrow things down.

For short trips or even longer flatlands travel, a 3500 lb tow limit could be enough. But it would not hurt to look for something with 5000+ lb tow capacity so you have some reserve. If you want another pickup, there are plenty of used F150's for sale and practically any one of them would do the job. I would have suggested a Tundra or V6 Tacoma except their resale values are generally higher for the same age and mileage (a reflection of their reliability, either real or perceived).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Late thought... one of my top choices in a "truck-like" vehicle for pulling an Escape 17 would be a Honda Ridgeline. If you could find an old-style used one at a good price, it should do the job very nicely. Not too bulky for everyday use.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Thanks for the encouraging words. I have all summer to figure this out. My new 17 is not due till early October. So, I will be shopping and getting my Boler 1300 ready to sell.��
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I am a van lover from the 60's and when I needed a new one for my 17 ft trailer in 2007 at the time, I found an E350 window van which had been used in Tampa as an airport 12 passenger limo with low miles (25K). It came with the 5.4 L V8 and heavy duty brakes & suspension and I just had to add the hitch with trailer lights. I did not need the 12 seats and so made it into a 5-seater for my purpose. I find these trucks great if you can drive with a light foot on the gas. You never have to get your extra stuff wet or stolen and don't need to buy a cap for the back.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Speaking of vans, I saw this ad... Looks interesting. The van (with solar array) is available for purchase separately. It's far from FL, but close to BC. Maybe you could work something out. Those Astro vans are pretty stout.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-solar-tow-rig
Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
I am pulling my 17B with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 3.3l 6 cylinder. I do not have a WDH. It has been from BC to California to Newfoundland and works well. The Santa Fe is rated to tow 5000lbs and gets pretty good mileage without the trailer.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The base Sprinter van at $32,495 has a nice diesel std.

No extra charge for the small diesel with 265 ft.lb. torque and a 7 speed transmission. 5,000 lb towing capacity and 3,512 payload. Drive one and talk to owners.
Mine has the 2.7 liter 5 speed and it will accelerate climbing hills on I-70 out of Denver and keep up. I have not towed a Fiberglass rv with it. If I baby it, I've gotten 25mpg. I think the 4 cyl diesel is 2.1 liter, and the 6 cyl is 3.0. Don't laugh until you drive it. Most of us do not need a big Cummins.
It drives, handles and parks like a car. Bonus you get all that secured enclosed space, and in some you can stand up with 6' 1" roof, $2,500 extra.

The new vans from Detroit may also offer nice small diesels

Build Your Mercedes Van | Mercedes-Benz Vans
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
More on small diesels

I received an off-line reply to my post, which I appreciate. It made me want to compare my 2.7 liter diesel with the new 2.1 liter which Mercedes offers in a wide range of vehicles. For some reason the smaller diesel appears to kick my diesel's ass. Part of it may be a twin turbo, not sure. Separately, the 7 speed transmission sounds great. Mine is a 5 speed, shared by many vehicles including several Porches.

I anticipate pulling a Casita 17' with my Sprinter, no problems.

My 2.7-liter I5 Mercedes-Benz Turbo Diesel engine produces 154 horsepower at 3,800 RPM and 243 pounds-feet of torque from 1,600 to 2,400 RPM.

The MB Sprinter Worker has a 2.1L/161-hp/266-lb-ft turbodiesel DOHC 16-valve I-4
A variant of the newer 2.1-liter four, delivers 201 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.

Interesting.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape