Parkliner hot water heater Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Parkliner hot water heater Help

We picked up our new ParkLiner and received a demo, but don't remember anymore how to start the hot water heater. It runs on propane only. There does not seem to be an electric ignition, and I don't want to start playing with matches until I hear from someone experienced here about what to do. I'm posting a photo of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
HotWaterHeater.jpg  
MaryNJWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can't help, because my water heater isn't the same, but didn't Parkliner give you the instruction manuals for all the appliances?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

New Jersey
I didn't get a manual for the hot water heater. There are printed instructions on the metal housing but I can't follow them. They seem to be instructions for more than just one type of unit.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looks like it has a pilot light that has to be lit, but I can't say for sure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

New Jersey
I found this video, and it looks just like mine. I don't remember having to light it manually.

https://youtu.be/rfJHEHlTsXI
Old 05-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Be sure it's full of water before lighting it
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
On mine, there is a switch on the column by the stove. Assuming the valves are open to fill the tank, you just turn the switch on. Hot water in just a few minutes.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #8

New Jersey
Well, I definitely remember having to do all the lighting up from the outside. There is no switch inside. Based on this video I just found and comparing the models, it looks like I'll have to light it manually with a torch. There's plenty of water in it, and everything works, I'm just on this huge learning curve right now.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
From the picture you posted it looks like a manual pilot system.

Look at the knobs and see if the top one says OFF, PILOT and ON.

If so, it lights just like a home water heater. Make sure the gas is on at the tank. Depress the pilot button and hold it down while lighting the pilot. You may have to depress the red button to get the pilot gas to flow. This may take a while to get the gas to the pilot. After it lights, hold the button for 15 seconds or so and then let it up. If the pilot stays on, set the knob to ON. If it goes out, repeat the light and 15 second step.

That knob on the front is the thermostat. Start with medium. Lower will use less gas, higher will give longer showers.

It will heat the "cold" water, not the "hot" water. It's a cold water heater, or just a water heater.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #10

New Jersey
Thank you John (Raspy)! It sure looks like I'll have to light it manually. I've verified with several sources now, so I feel better about approaching it with a torch, LOL. Oooo, you have an Oliver! I was telling my son that in the long term he may want to get one of those since he likes going on winter adventures. I hear they are well protected for winter conditions. What kind of mileage do you get towing it?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
...It will heat the "cold" water, not the "hot" water. It's a cold water heater, or just a water heater.
Is that really a hill you want to die on...?

Scamp, Escape, and even the lofty Oliver call it a hot water heater in their product descriptions. Casita and Parkliner call it simply (and correctly) a water heater.

Is it a heater that heats cold water or a heater that makes hot water?

My (cold-to-hot) water heater is manual, very manual- a tea kettle on the stove!

Apologizing for the diversion... couldn't resist!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #12

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryNJWildlife View Post
Thank you John (Raspy)! It sure looks like I'll have to light it manually. I've verified with several sources now, so I feel better about approaching it with a torch, LOL. Oooo, you have an Oliver! I was telling my son that in the long term he may want to get one of those since he likes going on winter adventures. I hear they are well protected for winter conditions. What kind of mileage do you get towing it?

Mary,

The best mileage comparison was when I delivered our old toy hauler. Similar overall weight and length of trailer as our Ollie. Both with tandem axles. Toy hauler was taller, wider and square edged.

I delivered it from 5000' elevation in the Sierra Mountains to sea level and about 200 miles. Had to go up over the top at 8,500' on the way. Then I pulled the Oliver up from nearly the same location, same roads over the mountains, sea level to 5000' to come home. On the way DOWN with the Toy hauler I got 9 mpg. On the way UP with Ollie I got 12 mpg! Those number have been re-verified with other trips too. The streamlined shape, relatively narrow and low, really makes a difference. It's one of the things I really like about fiberglass trailers in general. I think mine would do better if I didn't have a 1 ton 4WD truck.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is that really a hill you want to die on...?

Scamp, Escape, and even the lofty Oliver call it a hot water heater in their product descriptions. Casita and Parkliner call it simply (and correctly) a water heater.

Is it a heater that heats cold water or a heater that makes hot water?

My (cold-to-hot) water heater is manual, very manual- a tea kettle on the stove!

Apologizing for the diversion... couldn't resist!
It's fun to touch that nerve. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

New Jersey
Ah, the semantic purists, I haven't thought about the "hot" water heater term.

I also heated water on the stove for washing dishes. Worked out alright. I'm a pyro, love to build wooden fires but when it comes to petroleum products, I'm a big chicken. But we shall prevail.

12 MPG is very excellent. You've got a huge engine on that Ram truck. I towed with a V6 Nissan Murano and got 14 MPG average. There were some mountains to climb in Appalachia but not as big as the west coast. The Parkliner might be taller and so more drag. I had to have the height, with 6'5" inside, for my sons who are both 6'2" and the younger one still growing.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #15

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Why don't you call or email Parkliner and ask them how your water heater is supposed to work?
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #16

New Jersey
Thank you Sandra. I called yesterday and left a message. Haven't heard back yet.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should be able to Google the model number for an instruction manual.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #18

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
MaryNJ, I hope I caught you before you tried to light! I'm a fellow PL owner. First there is an outside switch, did you turn that on? 2nd depends if you are you on shore power (electric), here you just turn the breaker on, it's the one on the far right. If you are operating on propane, make sure you turn on selected tank, then I would light both burners on stove to clear the lines just burn them for a short time and then turn them off. Now you should be able to just turn the switch on beside the stove; there is also a reset switch if does not light the first time. Please post back or pm me for additional help.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 AM   #19

New Jersey
George, thank you for the info. My water heater is the most basic one. There is no electric anything, no switches, and it runs on propane only. In my first post I added a photo so you can see. After much reading I found some instructions that I also posted. The second video I posted shows all the models, and I keep coming up with mine having to be lit by hand. Before I try it, I would just feel most comfortable with an actual Parkliner owner with the same water heater model confirming that I have to hand light it. That video confirmed that my model number is SW6P. I found and printed the owner's manual (couldn't find it with the literature provided), and that describes exactly how to light it. When my sons visit this weekend, we'll give it a go.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #20

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
My bad MaryNJ, did not look at your pic, more reason to purge your line by lighting your stove first.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner