3.5 EcoBoost & Bigfoot 25RQ ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
3.5 EcoBoost & Bigfoot 25RQ ???

First-time poster on this Forum (currently happy owner of an Escape 5.0ta).

My mind is wandering to thoughts of upsizing to the 25’ Bigfoot rear queen bed. Before I go any further, I’d appreciate thoughts about the combo of the BF paired with my F150 w/3.5 EB w/10 speed auto. Pretty sure I’d have to add a leaf spring or two but I could do that. Just wondering if I have enough muscle to drag the bigger trailer? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The RQ does have quite a bit of hitch weight, at over 600 lbs. I'm thinking you're right about the springs Rich. If you have the HD tow package it's not a factor.

Figure around maybe 5500 lbs going down the road, and the 3.5L EcoBoost is well within the towing capacity, but as always, it's usually payload where the problem lies. I'm gonna say it'll probably work fine, but there are lots of variables, and I'm not clear on how your truck is equipped.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Leaf springs and other addons do not change the rating of your truck.

Check the driver's door jamb, that will list the payload of your truck.

Lots of variation in F150 tow ratings, the more options/deluxe your truck, the lower the payload. So a platinum model might have half or even less the payload rating when compared to the more basic models.

Ford also makes several versions of the tow package. If I was buying a replacement truck, I'd get the max payload package, top tow package, and avoid Lariat or higher truck model.

Look up weights in the real world, then get the data on your truck. There is also a VIN lookup tool if you don't know what level tow package you have. Google will get you there.

10 speed plus 3.5 motor is not enough information. Also look at how many passengers you plan to carry in the truck, camper top, side steps, and other dealer or personally installed options? Payload sticker is based on what was on your truck when it left the factory, not the dealer.

In my case (2010 F150), I've added tow mirrors, Ford side bed steps (both sides), spray in bedliner, camper top. All come out of the payload.

Some really loaded F150s with 4WD have surprisingly low payload capacity.

If you run out of anything, it is going to be payload capacity.

https://www.torklift.com/blog/entry/...trucks-payload
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
As far as drive train goes, you are in great shape to tow the BF. You might add some air bags to the rear.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Serious...
So what's the tongue weight of the T/A?
Also, what about a WDH ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sarcastic humor...
About that payload...
If you stop for lunch do you have to wait around for a good trip to the restroom before leaving the restaurant?
You know a pint's a pound, the world around!

Of course you can have all the Tofu you want for lunch without the wait... Cause nobody wants any Tofu?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The RQ does have quite a bit of hitch weight, at over 600 lbs. I'm thinking you're right about the springs Rich. If you have the HD tow package it's not a factor.

Figure around maybe 5500 lbs going down the road, and the 3.5L EcoBoost is well within the towing capacity, but as always, it's usually payload where the problem lies. I'm gonna say it'll probably work fine, but there are lots of variables, and I'm not clear on how your truck is equipped.
Thanks much, Robert. I appreciate the reply. How’s the house shaping up?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Leaf springs and other addons do not change the rating of your truck.

Check the driver's door jamb, that will list the payload of your truck.

Lots of variation in F150 tow ratings, the more options/deluxe your truck, the lower the payload. So a platinum model might have half or even less the payload rating when compared to the more basic models.

Ford also makes several versions of the tow package. If I was buying a replacement truck, I'd get the max payload package, top tow package, and avoid Lariat or higher truck model.

Look up weights in the real world, then get the data on your truck. There is also a VIN lookup tool if you don't know what level tow package you have. Google will get you there.

10 speed plus 3.5 motor is not enough information. Also look at how many passengers you plan to carry in the truck, camper top, side steps, and other dealer or personally installed options? Payload sticker is based on what was on your truck when it left the factory, not the dealer.

In my case (2010 F150), I've added tow mirrors, Ford side bed steps (both sides), spray in bedliner, camper top. All come out of the payload.

Some really loaded F150s with 4WD have surprisingly low payload capacity.

If you run out of anything, it is going to be payload capacity.

https://www.torklift.com/blog/entry/...trucks-payload
Thanks, Bill. This is all good info. I’m confused where you say that additional springs etc. don’t change a trucks rating. Everything I’ve read says that’s exactly how payload can be increased (?). Can you help me understand? Sorry, this stuff is hard for me to grasp.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
As far as drive train goes, you are in great shape to tow the BF. You might add some air bags to the rear.
Love your closing line, Mike. No truer words ...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Thanks much, Robert. I appreciate the reply. How’s the house shaping up?
Coming along Rich. They're doing stucco. I've been in DC so I haven't seen the latest. Looking at July completion of all goes well.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I’m confused where you say that additional springs etc. don’t change a trucks rating. Everything I’ve read says that’s exactly how payload can be increased (?)
Your published capacities are the capacities. You don't change those by adding equipment such as springs or air bags. However, and this is where it gets a bit controversial, you "effectively" increase the amount you can load by adding certain equipment. That does not mean however that you can or should exceed the capacities that are listed on the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Coming along Rich. They're doing stucco. I've been in DC so I haven't seen the latest. Looking at July completion of all goes well.
Someday pretty soon, all the headaches of building your home will come to an end and will be in your rear view mirror. After that, nothing but good times ahead. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Your published capacities are the capacities. You don't change those by adding equipment such as springs or air bags. However, and this is where it gets a bit controversial, you "effectively" increase the amount you can load by adding certain equipment. That does not mean however that you can or should exceed the capacities that are listed on the vehicle.
Of course you meant "ratings"?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #13

Registry
Zardoz;
I appreciate your concerns, but how is it that you don't know what the weight is on the pin of your 5.0T/A? What is the overall weight leaving the driveway?
Those pieces of information would be useful in finding the answer to your question.
Robert has given his estimate for the BF.
With the addition of the info for what you now tow you should be well on the way to a solution.

If your F150 Has a tow rating of at least 7500 pounds it would handle more than the 600 pound tongue weight estimated by Robert ( per J2807)

If you don't need to know those numbers are for your present trailer, then why would you need them for the BF?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Zardoz;
I appreciate your concerns, but how is it that you don't know what the weight is on the pin of your 5.0T/A? What is the overall weight leaving the driveway?
Those pieces of information would be useful in finding the answer to your question.
Robert has given his estimate for the BF.
With the addition of the info for what you now tow you should be well on the way to a solution.

If your F150 Has a tow rating of at least 7500 pounds it would handle more than the 600 pound tongue weight estimated by Robert ( per J2807)

If you don't need to know those numbers are for your present trailer, then why would you need them for the BF?
Floyd,

The hitch weight of the 5.0ta is 600 lbs with a dry weight at just under 3900 lbs. while it appears that the basic, published numbers would work for me, I was just trying to generate a little real world discussion of my proposed combination. Thamnks for your input. It’s appreciated very much.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #15

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course you meant "ratings"?
Thanks for the correction Floyd. "Capacities" implies a max that can't be physically exceeded. "Ratings" is more accurate.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #16

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Owner
Mississippi
Before we bought a motorhome, I towed a 26 foot TT with my 3.5 ecoboost F150. The weights were very similar to what you anticipate towing. I used a WDH and had no problems either towing OR stopping. I averaged 10 MPG while towing. The Ecoboost pulled the trailer easily and comfortably. The truck sat level; I felt no need for air bags or additional suspension mods.

Jump
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Those EB drive trains do have considerable power when needed and usually decent fuel economy when you don't. Any 1/2 ton should be able to handle a 600 lb tongue weight.
I always add an extra leaf or two to the rear springs when I buy any truck, even right off the lot. I makes them more stable and I don't want a truck that drives like a speed boat.
Having said that and towed for many years at max capacity, I went for a 3/4 ton diesel to tow my 3500 lb trailer. It outperforms my 1/2 ton like you wouldn't believe and gets better fuel mileage because the engine never labors.
If you have a 1/2 ton that you want to keep you should be fine. If you are considering a new TV, consider a 3/4 ton. Then you'll have all the capacity and all the power you'll ever need and then some.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Bill. This is all good info. I’m confused where you say that additional springs etc. don’t change a trucks rating. Everything I’ve read says that’s exactly how payload can be increased (?). Can you help me understand? Sorry, this stuff is hard for me to grasp.
Manufacturers design around a certain payload. Frame, wheels, axles, everything. Payload of your truck is whatever Ford says it is minus any options you or the dealer added. Ford tow ratings are frustrating as they usually can only be achieved if you are flat towing a farm trailer or similar. Read the sticker on the door, subtract for passengers, cargo and any other options.
Typically a modern F150 should handle that BF trailer but without knowing your setup and payload, there are no guarantees. The range of payloads on Ford F-150 is huge, anything from around 1,100 to 3,100 pounds.

Most dealerships fail to mention every option you get lowers your payload. My current F150 is probably the last Lariat I will own. Next truck will be an XLT with the max payload option and the best tow package.

If you buy a specific build you can get a similar rating to what my old one ton duality used to have. On the other hand, loaded with extras some F150s have the same payload as my old Toyota SR5 truck had.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Manufacturers design around a certain payload. Frame, wheels, axles, everything. Payload of your truck is whatever Ford says it is minus any options you or the dealer added. Ford tow ratings are frustrating as they usually can only be achieved if you are flat towing a farm trailer or similar. Read the sticker on the door, subtract for passengers, cargo and any other options.
Typically a modern F150 should handle that BF trailer but without knowing your setup and payload, there are no guarantees. The range of payloads on Ford F-150 is huge, anything from around 1,100 to 3,100 pounds.

Most dealerships fail to mention every option you get lowers your payload. My current F150 is probably the last Lariat I will own. Next truck will be an XLT with the max payload option and the best tow package.

If you buy a specific build you can get a similar rating to what my old one ton duality used to have. On the other hand, loaded with extras some F150s have the same payload as my old Toyota SR5 truck had.
So you think that there are several frames for a single wheelbase on an F-150?....Come on!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ford Tow ratings are now J2807.( like most everybody else)...

(To butcher Lewis Carroll)...

Some beamish boy with vorpal sword has slain the Jabberwock.!!
He left it dead, and with its head he went galumphing back.

Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Now we won't sway if we don't stray
Still we must fear the Jubjub bird, and shun the Bandersnatch!”
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Rich, I own a 2016 F-150 Ecobeast with the trailer towing pkg. and tow a Bigfoot 25RQ (rear bedroom) and have had no issues pulling up hills or down hills. My trailer weighs about 6500 loaded with gear and all holding tanks empty. My Bigfoot also has the front deck box which adds an extra two feet to the tongue. I use an Equal-I-zer brand WDH and it rides nice and level with the stock setup, but I wanted to give it a little more beef in the rear end so I added a pair of Bilstein shocks and Sumo spring dampeners as well as a pair of Sumo super springs. Probably a little overkill on my part but it rides and handles beautifully. I have the Gen 1 engine (365 hp) with the 6 speed tranny. The Gen II Eco Boost has a little more horse power @ 375 and also a little more torque. Of course it has the new Ford/GM 10 speed tranny. Can't speak for the newer Ford set up but I'm really pleased with mine and I think you will be too!
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, eco