Inverter Generator Recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes sound levels are not linear, they are logarithmic.

And whatever generator runs an AC that’s not the only thing most will be running. Electric hot water heater, refrigerator, house battery charger and more draw amps. We have a 3100 max/2800 steady generator and we were able to overwhelm it. If you have the Escape surge protector display you will see what you are drawing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, every 3dB is twice as loud. also, an open frame generator likely will have more high frequency harmonics in its noise, which are more annoying.

my kid has both an eu2000 and eu3000, both have similar noise ratings, but the eu3000 'sounds' quieter because its a lower frequency noise.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Thanks for being polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I was trying, as politely as I'm capable of, to point out that this is a well worn topic. A generator is something we both may use but the background assumptions may be different and that I, personally, would rather not have to wade through stick-built trailer issues on a molded fiberglass RV site. I view this a bit like the camel getting his nose into the tent.

I can find 3 or 4 dedicated forums for towable winnebagos.

I'm still trying to be polite but it is my opinion.
I appreciate your polite response, Steve 👍
As you pointed out, this is not a new topic; however, I could not find the answers I sought when perusing this forum, prior to submitting my question.

Also, since the same few RV AC manufacturers, (such as Dometic) put units on a wide variety of campers of various construction, I don’t see this as an intrinsic stick-built issue, at all.

My camper is fiberglass over aluminum frame construction, and significantly unlike most of the so-called stick builts you see.

No offense intended, but my little camper is similar in size to many molded fiberglass campers and has the same air conditioning needs.

I avoid issues on this venue that are mainly suited to stick-built campers.

I have learned much from this forum and the advice of experienced travelers, such as yourself.
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Flex fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yes sound levels are not linear, they are logarithmic.

And whatever generator runs an AC that’s not the only thing most will be running. Electric hot water heater, refrigerator, house battery charger and more draw amps. We have a 3100 max/2800 steady generator and we were able to overwhelm it. If you have the Escape surge protector display you will see what you are drawing.
Good points

I figure to turn off the AC for the short time it takes me to heat water for coffee, etc.

Thankfully, the appliances you mentioned can run on propane, battery power, or shore power, in many of the the newer trailers.
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Based on my projected amount of usage and purchase price I am looking seriously at a HF Predator Inverter Generator . We have a remote deer hunting shack and for one week a year I can’t see spending a ton of money on a generator . As long as it can run a few lights , make coffee or run a crockpot I’ll be happy.
I am not a fan of Honda generators , we used them at work and they were not dependable , spent too much time in the repair shop and are overly expensive IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Based on my projected amount of usage and purchase price I am looking seriously at a HF Predator Inverter Generator . We have a remote deer hunting shack and for one week a year I can’t see spending a ton of money on a generator . As long as it can run a few lights , make coffee or run a crockpot I’ll be happy.
I am not a fan of Honda generators , we used them at work and they were not dependable , spent too much time in the repair shop and are overly expensive IMHO
Hey Steve. two thoughts...

1. I would not think of the purchase of a generator to be only for your one week of deer hunting. I'm sitting in North Carolina now waiting on Hurricane Florence and rather wishing I had a generator. I hear there is occasional flooding in Wisconsin also (to say the least) so I would suggest looking at a generator purchase as part insurance policy in case of natural disasters, esp if you are on a well like I am.

2. I think you are one of only two people I have heard who were not happy with Honda's. But if it is to be a generator also used for disaster situations then it should be one that you think will be reliable, and of course also be well maintained. If I were running out of water from my well, then the price of the generator would be a lot less critical than it actually running.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Hey Steve. two thoughts...

1. I would not think of the purchase of a generator to be only for your one week of deer hunting. I'm sitting in North Carolina now waiting on Hurricane Florence and rather wishing I had a generator. I hear there is occasional flooding in Wisconsin also (to say the least) so I would suggest looking at a generator purchase as part insurance policy in case of natural disasters, esp if you are on a well like I am.

2. I think you are one of only two people I have heard who were not happy with Honda's. But if it is to be a generator also used for disaster situations then it should be one that you think will be reliable, and of course also be well maintained. If I were running out of water from my well, then the price of the generator would be a lot less critical than it actually running.
I pounded a backup well over 20 years ago so if power goes out all I have to do is prime the pump and pump the handle .
We heat with wood because it works without power
If it’s winter we have a refrigerator as big as the outdoors .
My dislike for Honda generators is based on my experience with them when working as an electrician . They cost me a lot of time , money .and lost wages
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed, every 3dB is twice as loud. also, an open frame generator likely will have more high frequency harmonics in its noise, which are more annoying.

my kid has both an eu2000 and eu3000, both have similar noise ratings, but the eu3000 'sounds' quieter because its a lower frequency noise.
While a 3 db increase is a doubling of power, it is not a doubling of loudness. Loudness is subjective - the test used to determine doubling of loudness is to ask a large number of individuals to double the volume of an adjustable sound source, and record the actual db increase. Tests of this type average a 10 db increase for a doubling of loudness.

I agree that an open frame generator is likely to produce more annoying noise, regardless of the actual db rating.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #29

Registry
I like the Honda and Yamaha units, they are nice. But for my very limited usage the Champion is just fine. Heck even the Harbor Freight would probably be ok.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Mike, we have an 01 19' Scamp with the original AC (13.5, I think) and have had no trouble running it with our EU3000is Honda of roughly the same vintage. At 150 lbs +/-, its about all I want to handle lifting into the back of the Tacoma but still doable. For me, the electric start more than offsets the weight (it did start easily with just a couple of pulls when the original battery died).

Noise may not be a big issue for you when boondocking but the 3000 is actually quieter than Honda's EU2000is when powering the AC because it doesn't have to rev as high. I don't have any experience with their new 2200 models so can't comment.

We actually don't use a genset very much when camping as the Maxxfan does a good job of cooling the trailer but it's proven invaluable during extended power outages at home. Last winter, an ice storm knocked out the electricity and, used continuously for several days, a tank of gas would easily last through the night.

Maintenance has been nothing more than new filters and a spark plug every couple of years.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #31

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
a/c with a 2000 watt inverter generator (soft start)

I don't know if this would help. I have seen these soft start units on the web. and kind of been interested in trying one. I am not sure ,but I think they are some kind of inverter that spools the compressor up slowly by spooling the frequency (HZ) of the power during compressor start up. The only thing I know about this unit is what I have read on the web

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

There is another product that helps on startup by turning the fan motors off during start up, but I think you would also need a hard start cap with this product and I don't think it will works as well as the one above

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Start-...Class!58238!US!-
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #32

Name: Rick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
We have a Champion 3400-watt dual-fuel inverter with electric start. It can use either gasoline or propane. We have never put gas in the tank. It comes with a quick-disconnect propane hose and regulator.

To start: Connect the hose, open the propane valve and start the engine. To stop: Close the propane valve. The engine runs until all of the propane is cleared from the hose and the engine (a few seconds). That's it! No handling of gasoline, no worries about gas going bad or varnished parts, and no worries about explosive fumes building up when I close by truck bed cover.

I have it secured at the rear of my truck bed. I just flip down the tailgate so that it can exhaust behind the truck. I have a Walmart plastic trunk with the lid removed, which is perfect for holding two propane tanks. Besides running the generator, the tanks can be used as spare trailer tanks, so I am never at risk of unexpectedly running out of propane.
Pville211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
@Pville211 -- How is the Champion 3400 holding up for you? We are looking at one for the upcoming season.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #34

Mid Left Coast
Yikes, that Champion is 96 lbs?? I'd need ramps to get that on and off the tailgate of my truck.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Extension Cord

Yikes, that Champion is 96 lbs?? I'd need ramps to get that on and off the tailgate of my truck.

Leave it in the bed of the truck and run an extension cord.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #36

Mid Left Coast
when I've used my 2000VA (really 1300 watts sustained), I've run it out on the end of 2x100ft extension cords to get it away from camp ...
Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

Leave it in the bed of the truck and run an extension cord.
Typical to light weight of one this size. I store mine just inside the tailgate. Then I slide it out on to the tailgate when I run it. I have it secured with a heavy cable lock.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #38

Name: Rick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Sorry, I don't have any info. I sold my trailer due to a health issue.
Pville211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Found a better Generator

I bought a Harbor Freight 2000 generator 2 years ago, and it was just adequate. When the AC compressor came on, the overload LED lit up and it took about 3 seconds for the compressor to come up to speed. Would have to switch off the ECO when AC first turned on. Cost is usually $449 up to $499 for the Predator.

Sam's Club had the A1 Power 2300 watt generator on special for $349. Bought it, let it break in and then plugged the Casita in. Left the ECO switch on. Placed the generator within view from inside the trailer. Turned on the AC, it kicked right on as if it were plugged into house outlet. Motor sped up quick enough so the voltage never dropped.

A lot of attention to RV use was evident. A 30 amp adapter to twist lock, oil funnel, telescoping handle and rear wheels came with it. The pull start handle is on top so the leverage is better if the generator is on the ground. If on the tailgate, not so easy. Bought the 3 year service policy for $50. One is bound to need it with a generator.

Weights: A1 Power: 51 lbs. Predator 2000: 47lbs. I'll put up with the extra 4 lbs. With the wheels I can roll it on a piece of plywood from the bench onto the tailgate. Neither one of these is a one hand lift. Noise, about the same.
Used on 17' Casita w/ 8000 btu Coleman AC.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
... When the AC compressor came on, the overload LED lit up and it took about 3 seconds for the compressor to come up to speed. ...
For general information.. this is a good way to ruin the A/C compressor resulting in the need for an expensive repair. An adequate generator and/or a soft start modification is always recommended.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, generator