Recommendation for Gulf Florida Small Towns?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #21

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Manatee springs sp
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #22

Name: Vince
Trailer: Fleetwood , Trillium
Manitoba
I’m a little surprised no one has mentioned Oscar Scheyer State Park. Haven’t been myself but my sis and bro-in-law wintered there for a few years and loved it. Sis passed before I got a chance to go but if I make it to Florida that would have been my target.
Thoughts anyone?
Gasaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #23

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Florida?

I wouldn't go to Florida, I would stop in Alabama. Here is a list of camogrounds further north. Lived there for 2 years, wish I still did. Maybe I will one day.

https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...abama/elberta/
That area has a lot to do. Mobile is close enough, Fairhope, Dauphin Island, Bay Minnette, Pensacola, even Fort Walton Beach and Eglin AFB are close enough for day trips.

Charter boats are available for fisherman, Kayaking and tubing all over. Not as crowded or as pricey as Florida.

Pirates Cove in Josephine AL is a must do. The atmosphere is fantastic, food is great. Right across the Intracoastal is Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. Both reachable by road.
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Time Warp

Joe & Cherie,

Read your post & reference to Deep Creek. Wow. 40 odd (very odd) years ago in the late 70's we did Deep Creek. Had a friend in Wis, one in Ka, & myself decided to get together. We drew some large circles on a map that intersected in the Smokies. We met & camped with our wives (& our infant son) in the Deep Creek campground. From the trail head (I assume) we hiked up Deep Creek Trail for a primitive camping overnighter. (Yup I backpacked our little buddy.) One memorable event was a spot along the trail that Deep Creek was pinched between two boulders, probably 12-14' wide. The current was such that when you jumped in you could swim for all you got & not make any forward progress. A great way to cool down in the summer heat. Still have the Deep Creek patch on an old back pack and a picture of the crew.

Dennis.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #25

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
You must stop here as it is the most unbelievable spring. In Florida!!! This Coming from a native. Here’s the name and address and has a very reasonable camp ground on property.
Devil's Den Spring
5390 NE 180th Ave Williston, FL 32696
352-528-3344
This is a full time couple with kids that we follow and here’s the episode they did about it.
https://youtu.be/qHo-l3E2F2Y

Post up after you have been there . ENJOY

Just some food for thought .We just got our trailer and plan on visiting it this year.
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #26

Name: STEVE
Trailer: 2007 Casita 17' Freedom
CO
Try Olga, which is north east of Ft. Meyers on the Caloosahatchee river. Take Palm beach Blvd from I-75 to Old Olga Road. Go left and you will end up at WP Franklin Lock State park. You can backtrack on Palm Beach to 31 and cross the river then turn right on N. River road and you will get to the opposite side of the river where there is a campground.
Lots of beautiful lil' creeks to kayak in and some nice hikes in parks. Enjoy!
stevescrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #27

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Joe View Post
You must stop here as it is the most unbelievable spring. In Florida!!! This Coming from a native. Here’s the name and address and has a very reasonable camp ground on property.
Devil's Den Spring
5390 NE 180th Ave Williston, FL 32696
352-528-3344
This is a full time couple with kids that we follow and here’s the episode they did about it.
https://youtu.be/qHo-l3E2F2Y

Post up after you have been there . ENJOY

Just some food for thought .We just got our trailer and plan on visiting it this year.
Technically it is a sinkhole, and is quite a unique scuba diving site
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasaholic View Post
I’m a little surprised no one has mentioned Oscar Scheyer State Park. Haven’t been myself but my sis and bro-in-law wintered there for a few years and loved it. Sis passed before I got a chance to go but if I make it to Florida that would have been my target.
Thoughts anyone?
We never camped at Oscar Scherer State Park but did visit friends that were camping there. We were not impressed with it at all but would do a few days if nothing else was available. Our friends like it because it is a State Park and not too expensive and beaches are close.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We never camped at Oscar Scherer State Park but did visit friends that were camping there. We were not impressed with it at all but would do a few days if nothing else was available. Our friends like it because it is a State Park and not too expensive and beaches are close.
I share your sentiment and I have camped there. IMHO there are better State Parks in Florida. But if you want to explore Venice or Sarasota but camp rather than stay in hotels or motels, Oscar Scherer is the place to go.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #30

Name: Vince
Trailer: Fleetwood , Trillium
Manitoba
Thanks for the input all. Come to think of it I think my brother-in-law had a brother that wintered in Venice so that was probably the attraction of Oscar Sherer.
I’m 73 and if I am going to do the snowbird thing I’d better do it soon. Reading Villen’s input I might pause on the way in AL even though I fear he might be working for the AL Tourism industry!!!
Trouble is that it always seems to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer in Florida and these days I suffer the heat better than I suffer the cold.
Gasaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the winter at least, Florida State Parks tend to have a 14 day stay limit. So snowbirds have to keep moving, or consider private parks. Popular Florida state parks tend to be booked a year in advance.

And FWIW, back in February 2018, we tried to make reservations at a private campground for the following winter. We offered to take any winter month, or the entire winter. And with the Escape 19, we could fit in any site. They put us on the waiting list. They were SOLD OUT a year in advance!! Never got in.

Realize Florida gets snowbirds from the NE USA (big population) and across the midwest, and areas to the north in Canada. Thats a lot of snowbirds heading to the same place! Many campgrounds in Florida I looked at were half Canadians.

This last winter, we tried Arizona. Sites were much more available and cheaper too.

I have found some inland Florida private campgrounds with available sites.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #32

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Alabama Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasaholic View Post
Thanks for the input all. Come to think of it I think my brother-in-law had a brother that wintered in Venice so that was probably the attraction of Oscar Sherer.
I’m 73 and if I am going to do the snowbird thing I’d better do it soon. Reading Villen’s input I might pause on the way in AL even though I fear he might be working for the AL Tourism industry!!!
Trouble is that it always seems to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer in Florida and these days I suffer the heat better than I suffer the cold.

Wish I did work for Alabama Tourism! I wouldn't be in a few feet of snow right now. Manitoba is not exactly the tropics either. The Redneck Riviera is a great place. Must admit it has been a while since I was last there, but my sister lives in Gulfport MS and that hasn't changed much. I just enjoyed Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Foley/Elberta area a lot. Never did venture into Mobile much.
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Gasaholic;766198]
I’m 73 and if I am going to do the snowbird thing I’d better do it soon.

I'm 73, we live in the Northeast, and last winter we gave up doing the snowbird thing. Did it for 7 winters and it was good, but having to rely on someone taking care of our house for the time we were away was not working to my satisfaction. We had the whole winter reserved before we left home. Spent a few winters on the coast of Georgia, then moved around Florida for the last few years.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco