My Last Scamp Question! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
My Last Scamp Question!

Well, okay..so I have been known to lie!

Will someone please tell me an easy, and hopefully, a cheap method, to clean Enscolite in my old Scamp? I don't believe that in the past 37 year it has ever been cleaned!

What I'd like to do is spray a cleaning mixture on the walls and ceiling, (with a garden sprayer), then hose the Enscolite off with a water hose.

Did I tell you that I was sorta lazy?

Seriously...any suggestions on cleaners (hopefully available at Lowe's, Walmart, etc) that are easy to use, and would do a good job of cleaning the Enscolite....without having to spend hours using a scrub brush!

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
LA Totally Awesome from the dollar store. Squirt bottle.
This stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/LAS-PURPOSE-CO.../dp/B0017KT3IM

Power washing the inside while attractive from a labor saving viewpoint does have some downsides from a water damage perspective.
  • Spray Totally Awesome on an area.
  • Use large scrub brush to scrub that area.
  • Dip wash rag into bucket of clean rinse water and rinse that area.
  • Wring out rinse rag.
Repeat in next area. Work your way around the walls.

Mine was shades of black and gray and sticky enough to hold a dry wash cloth applied to the wall. Took an afternoon to get it clean enough to sleep in. A couple of afternoons to get it clean and white.

I also got some use out of small brush sort of like a large tooth brush for the seams where seats and cabinets meet the wall.

Key thing is spray, scrub then rinse to remove the grime and soap. Change rinse water often. Can't leave clean surface behind a dirty rag.

LA Totally Awesome is not a harsh chemical but you will want the windows open and some good air flow. Maybe a fan pointed out the door, wear safety glasses when doing the ceiling.

That was what took me the most time, bad shoulder made it hard to work overhead for long so I would do a section of ceiling then switch to walls, then back for a bit more ceiling.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks RogerDat for the great information. I'd still like to spray and hose, but, I may be forced to do it the hard way...using a brush.

I won't write here what my lovely wife said...when I told her that such cleaning was "woman's work"!

Oh well, there is a dollar store within a mile of my house.

Bill
Old 07-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

I won't write here what my lovely wife said...when I told her that such cleaning was "woman's work"!

Bill
Well I know you won't say what she said, since talking with your foot in your mouth is too difficult

You should count your self lucky you still have internet privileges. Rookie mistake. You should have said "got this great product along with some tips on cleaning the walls, but I need to clean the rust on the frame for painting and check out the wiring underneath, do you want to get started on the cleaning?

Nap time on the creeper under the trailer, just make sure your eyes are not visible from outside... and that there is no hose nearby. Cold water from annoyed wife tends to make you sit up when your sleeping on a creeper, hurts the head when under a trailer. Does make wife laugh hard enough to forget to be mad... maybe.

It really does go pretty fast, and nothing wrong with doing it in two passes. Clean the worst of it off, then go after the final clean. It will be fun you WILL be able to see progress with each section.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You should have said "got this great product along with some tips on cleaning the walls, but I need to clean the rust on the frame for painting and check out the wiring underneath, do you want to get started on the cleaning?
Ah! RogerDat, if only I had been that smart!

I'm one of those late thinkers...who can always think of some brilliant reply..several hours or days, after the need!

Actually, so that folks won't get the wrong impression...my dear long suffering wife, who has put up with me for many, many years...does twice as much work around our home than I do! She operates our weed-eater, mows grass with our ridding mower, and our push mower. She is the reason I'm still alive.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Soft Scrub works very well, we cleaned ours with it but then removed it all together because of moisture behind it due to leaks in the shell...apply the Soft Scrub liberally with a sponge and let it sit for a few minutes...then with a stiff bristled brush go over the area in small circles to get into the textured area. Then wipe several times with a damp cloth until the residue is removed. I would do small sections at a time so it doesn't dry up. If our Boler didn't have leaks we would have left ours in place after the cleaning...unfortunately I didn't take any pictures to show the before and after but it made a huge difference...also the soft scrub has bleach in it along with pumice so it will work well on any mildew too
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Bill, I forgot to mention that this also worked well on the outer shell too...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
lol
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I tried a lot of dif chemicals, & even a magic eraser! nothing got rid of the sticky feel or the dirt spots in the nooks & crannies. while prepping for new seam tape, I accidently discovered straight rubbing alcohol & a toothbrush made it clean & shiny! yes, time consuming, but so worth it
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Best cleaner we ever used. Sud'n Kleen.

https://www.mooremedical.com/index.c...PID=5773&spx=1

This cleaner disinfectant cleans most anything. Keep it off painted surfaces as it will take the gloss off. We used it to clean machinery and take off sticky uncured epoxy and urethane resins. Cleans dirty gel-coat without damage. In California we can't use solvents without creating a whole bunch of hazardous waste and this has saved us thousands of dollars.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Soft Scrub works very well, we cleaned ours with it but then removed it all together because of moisture behind it due to leaks in the shell...apply the Soft Scrub liberally with a sponge and let it sit for a few minutes...then with a stiff bristled brush go over the area in small circles to get into the textured area. Then wipe several times with a damp cloth until the residue is removed. I would do small sections at a time so it doesn't dry up. If our Boler didn't have leaks we would have left ours in place after the cleaning...unfortunately I didn't take any pictures to show the before and after but it made a huge difference...also the soft scrub has bleach in it along with pumice so it will work well on any mildew too
Thanks John.

Your message reminded me that I had once use Solt Scrub to clean off the hull of a small sailboat. As I recall, the Soft Scrub did a good job in removing crud from the hull.

Bill
Old 07-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I scrubbed and then sprayed with bleach and let that sit for a while to kill the mold spores.
Washed it down and then when it dried I painted it with Bullseye anti-mold primer and followed that with a Valspar paint that was also anti fungicidal and anti mold like the primer.
I was never able to get the stains out of the ensolite no matter how hard I scrubbed etc.
So far it has worked OK, but this is just for a few months (in Mobile at 100% humidity and 95 F that is a long time)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
I tried a lot of dif chemicals, & even a magic eraser! nothing got rid of the sticky feel or the dirt spots in the nooks & crannies. while prepping for new seam tape, I accidently discovered straight rubbing alcohol & a toothbrush made it clean & shiny! yes, time consuming, but so worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Best cleaner we ever used. Sud'n Kleen.

https://www.mooremedical.com/index.c...PID=5773&spx=1

This cleaner disinfectant cleans most anything. Keep it off painted surfaces as it will take the gloss off. We used it to clean machinery and take off sticky uncured epoxy and urethane resins. Cleans dirty gel-coat without damage. In California we can't use solvents without creating a whole bunch of hazardous waste and this has saved us thousands of dollars.
Sharon, Steve, & JD,

Thank you very much for you comments and suggestions.

I had hoped that someone had a easy way for me to copy....however, I guess that is a hopeless dream!

So, I'll do what each of you have done...and do the cleaning the hard way..sq ft at a time!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my call for help!

Bill
Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
This morning while I was returning from a "honey-do" chore, I stopped at a local Dollar Store and bought a small $1 bottle of LA Totally Awesome Cleaner.

And also a bottle of Soft Scrub cleaner, and a small scrub brush.

A few minutes ago I tried out the LA Totally cleaner on a panel of my Scamp's wall. I gotta say that I'm totally impressed with the cleaning power of this cleaner!

Following RogerDat's instructions, I sprayed it on, scrubbed it with the brush, and used a large auto sponge to wipe it clean. It took several wipes with the sponge, after cleaning it each time in clear water, to remove the cleaner and crud!

I only spent about 10 minutes max and the panel is snow white. Well, comparied to the other panels it does look very, very clean.

My plan now is to clean the whole trailers inside surfaces with the LA cleaner, then use the Soft Scrub to clean some areas which now has some black mold showing. The bleach in the Soft Scrub should kill any mold spores.

I did find the fumes from the LA cleaner to be a little toxic, so I will install a fan and open the windows the next time.

This site, and the people on it are great! Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Bill

Tags
scamp