Converting front bunk in Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Converting front bunk in Boler

Hi folks. I've decided I'm going to convert my front bench into two small seats separated by a small table. Has anyone tried this?
Cheers
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A number have done this. I see you have a 1973. You may find that there is a straight 6" step across the front under the bench. I forget when they started putting a notch in the step. The ones with the notch for the "port a pottie" are an easier mod.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Ontario
Mine has the straight step. I am wondering if I should cut out a section of the bench and patch it or remove it all together and build from scratch.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
or remove it all together and build from scratch.
That gets my vote. That way you or someone else can always restore to original. The front dinette mod does not work as well when you have the step across the entire width of the trailer.

Remember that the bench adds structural support to the body. Whatever you do, try to tie into the "plywood tab" on the walls that the bench screws into.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Joe and Roy - I'm in the 'same boat', with an uncut 1973 Boler front bunk floor. I've decided that by just raising the two proposed seats a couple of inches, I wouldn't have to consider the structural element of butchering the bunk floor at all. Why not have a slight step-up to the new 'dining booth' ? We're even considering building in a porta-potty beneath the new street-side seat of the 'dining-booth'. Any further thoughts on our proposal ?
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
A number have done this. I see you have a 1973. You may find that there is a straight 6" step across the front under the bench. I forget when they started putting a notch in the step. The ones with the notch for the "port a pottie" are an easier mod.
My 71 has the cutout, we put a bath in the front turning the bunk 90 degrees removing the kitchenette...have fun with your project
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hi Joe and Roy - I'm in the 'same boat', with an uncut 1973 Boler front bunk floor. I've decided that by just raising the two proposed seats a couple of inches, I wouldn't have to consider the structural element of butchering the bunk floor at all. Why not have a slight step-up to the new 'dining booth' ? We're even considering building in a porta-potty beneath the new street-side seat of the 'dining-booth'. Any further thoughts on our proposal ?
I think this is the way to go. Rather than a porta potty I am going to install a small beer fridge.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
front bunk /table

We upgraded to to a 16ft Scamp this year which has a front bunk. The bath takes up a lot of space so instead of cutting out the bunk I added a table that is easily removed that you sit sideways at. The table top slides from one side to side allowing easy access. I used a 2x4 galv. bracket bolted to the front of the bunk for the leg and then covered it with the same 1/2 inch birch plywood. The 2x4 leg fits snug in the 2 brackets, a small wood wedge makes it tight. Only 2 trips so far and we are happy with the results. Nothing lost still have bunk beds for the grandkids. Hope this maybe helpful to someone. John T
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0096.jpg   IMG_0094.jpg  

JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Ontario
Sweet! Nice work JT.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Whenever my daughter gets around to kicking Dad to the curb I am going to do the front dinette mod to my Scamp. JT's mod is pretty sweet though, thanks for the tip.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT33 View Post
We upgraded to to a 16ft Scamp this year which has a front bunk. The bath takes up a lot of space so instead of cutting out the bunk I added a table that is easily removed that you sit sideways at. The table top slides from one side to side allowing easy access. I used a 2x4 galv. bracket bolted to the front of the bunk for the leg and then covered it with the same 1/2 inch birch plywood. The 2x4 leg fits snug in the 2 brackets, a small wood wedge makes it tight. Only 2 trips so far and we are happy with the results. Nothing lost still have bunk beds for the grandkids. Hope this maybe helpful to someone. John T
Nice mod I like it!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Wow ! Great ideas come out. I really like JohnT's sliding table top. It preserves the 'bunk' option, and makes very flexible use of the new dinette creation. And, I believe it could also 'seat' more than two if the table insert is optionally inserted by 180 degrees, to provide 'bench seating'. Hhhmmm ? - Now, to rethink that alternate kitchenette relocation, and the 'brown-jug' fridge !!! Thanx team - I Luv the ideas that float out of these forum threads.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I looked for a picture but couldn't find one of someone's front bunk conversion. They removed everything and then used two office chairs from Costco. They took off the wheels and bolted the chairs straight to the floor. Then put a table inbetween. Looked pretty good after and probably easier to get into a swiveling chair than sliding in past the dinette. If you google "boler front bunk conversion" it brings up a few different options people went with too. Can't wait to see the before and after pics!!
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have tried a few things for a table at the front sofa (without doing a major remod).. One is this table. I can open the porta-potty door and slide the legs in (on either side of a storage box I have in there). It works but is not perfect. Its easy to dislodge the support bar and have the table drop unexpectedly. The cup holder will not swing out because the bathroom is in the way (Scamp layout four). I use it sometimes.

The other thing I do is keep a few storage boxes with flat tops on the sofa's port side. The tops are flat and make a serviceable side table, and they are dual purpose which I like. The same boxes fit under the dinette when in bed config so they can go there if I want the entire sofa (as a bunk for example).

I might do the front dinette conversion some day, but for me, at present I think these methods work OK and are the easiest thing to do.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
I looked for a picture but couldn't find one of someone's front bunk conversion.
Google this: front dinette site:fiberglassrv.com
Select images and you will find the elusive.

lmgtfy
Old 05-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hi Joe and Roy - I'm in the 'same boat', with an uncut 1973 Boler front bunk floor. I've decided that by just raising the two proposed seats a couple of inches, I wouldn't have to consider the structural element of butchering the bunk floor at all. Why not have a slight step-up to the new 'dining booth' ?
fI've seen some step up mods. Whatever you do, try to incorporate the tabs that the bench screws into. You want something to keep the body by the door in place. It is the "weak spot" when it comes to "body bulge". By raising the seat you can also tie in the square bar that supports the door frame.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
Alberta
This was the one Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Boler office chairs.jpg  
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Here are a photo showing Scamper Jim's conversions which might work for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp tab;e uprights.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	95647

Scamper Jim's record of this modification can be viewed here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Small dinette in Scamp 16

Here is a modification to my 1979 Scamp 16. The interior pieces of this Scamp were all junked. These benches are wood framed and the small table was assembled so that no table leg would interfere with foot space. The access to the street side bench is made easy with flipping up the table.

Name:	p1010008.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	95690

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	95691

Name:	p1010010.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	95692
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1984

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1464731014.897441.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	95764
The table can still drop into place and the back cushion on the left placed on it to provide a single couch/bed.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler