bigfoot axle and spring replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
bigfoot axle and spring replacement

I've asked this before but looking for more specific numbers if possible.
I would like to replace the springs and axle. Does any body have part #'s?
It was suggested to take it to a spring shop. For $500 for new springs, I could probably buy new off the shelf springs and have a new set up welded to the trailer. If the they let go I can just buy another off the shelf spring.
I measured the axle, hub face to hub face. I came up the 78 1/2", and 66" spring centers. does that look right? Any suggestions?

PS. I've been looking up old threads. Found some good info.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Check with Trog. He swapped axels on a 17'
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Hey Jeff, not sure how handy you are but I would just do it yourself! I did an axle flip on my 21 ft last year and it was quite easy. If I remember right it was about $120.00 for new ubolts, shackles, spring seats and shackle bolts {tandem axles}. I picked up all the parts from Princess auto. They also have the axles and springs in stock. Once I had the trailer lifted up to where I wanted, the whole job only took about three hours and that included rewireing the electric brakes.
Bob
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks guys. Tidewater. Ill ask Trog what he did. How do I get a hold of him?
Krusty. Im a machinist. I would leave the welding to a pro because I probably wont be able to sleep at night.( Is it perfect or could I have done it better?)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I know Trog (Walt) is on CasitaForum. You can PM him there.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I put a new Deter axle on my Bigfoot and the part number is Dexter TS3585EZ with 85 inch hubface dimension. The spring perches were not attached. They are included with the axle but have to be welded on. I just took it to a friend who welds and used the old axle as a jig. The part number I gave you is for a straight axle. I changed from a 4" drop to a straight axle
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

British Columbia
I just noticed. I should have said 78 1/2 flange to flange
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
I changed my springs last year on our 17ft 1995 Bigfoot only because one side had settled about 1/2 inch. I "flipped" the axle which only means to move it from the top of the spring to under. It raised the trailer about 4 inches. There is a kit that Dexter supplies for this which doesn't require any welding.
The axle and springs are Standen which is a Calgary outfit. The spring dimensions are not standard compared to the ones you buy "off the shelf"
You will find a difference in eye to eye dimensions as well as the number of spring leafs. Our trailer was almost 20 years old and I was happy with the ride so why screw with success. I called Standen and they knew exactly what axles and springs that Bigfoot used plus they had a distribution center in Vancouver where I could get the springs from.
I don't have the part numbers but Standen was first rate for info and I think maybe $120.00 bought both springs.
Unless you have spun a bearing there should be no reason to change the axle.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 AM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks Lyle. I called standens, They said they could not help me because my BF is to old. 1983. The axle does not have a bend in the middle. If you know what I mean. Don't Remember what its called. When loaded the weight is up there. Also, the axle is not centered in the wheel well.(that's the springs) Ill try to post a picture, in the morning.
So the way I see it is I need to start over from scratch. Yesterday I bought springs that are from Standens. Today I will double check the axle measurements and perch centers and go talk to an axle shop. That I have in mind. To have a stronger axle made up. Maybe a 4200LBS axle?
When I put the new stuff together I will see how it lines up. If not ill take the bff to the shop and they will place new hangers where they need to be.
When all said and done I will try my Best to post all the part #'s and what was done. Maybe this way, the next person will have it a bit easier.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

British Columbia
Jeff, The preload bend in an axle is called the camber which actually puts the camber in the wheels for better tracking. If you put a new axle in with camber you will probably notice an improvement in towing. It will track better.
Sorry you didn't score better with Standen but I think their spring packs are good. Mine are 5 leaf compared to off the shelf trailer springs which usually have 4 so I think the flex rate and ride would be smoother. Like I said earlier I was happy with the performance on a 20 year old trailer so why change. I never changed my axle because I would have to change wheels, tires and all and I have nice rims with almost new Maxxis tires on them. I run about 2900lbs loaded so not concerned with the 3500lb axle weight rating. I tow with a Chev Silverado so I have the luxury of putting all the extra weight in the truck and run the trailer light.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #11

British Columbia
I'm trying to put up a picture of the offset axle. If the picture does not come up. How do I do this? I'm use ing my phone.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

British Columbia
I ordered an axle yesterday. I picked it up today. Axle with U-bolt kit $199. Canadian dollars. Up graded axle tube from 2 3/8" to 3". 1/4 wall. 78 1/2" brake flange to brake flange. Hub to hub, don't know. perch or saddle centers are 66" center to center.
Will attempted to install the axle tomorrow morning. Will post results later that day.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #13

British Columbia
I installed the new axle and springs this week end. The axle fit great. The leaf springs are a bit to long. If you don't mind the wheels being off set to the rear. Then these off the shelf springs are good. I'm still looking for proper length springs.
The axle could be a little shorter but is the same length as original. I'm going to do some more research, then post the #'s. Rides great and tracks nice.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #14

British Columbia
Lyle.
I called Standens Yesterday. I asked them about Springs For a 1995 Bigfoot like you where saying. They had no idea what I was talking about.
Now I'm thinking, I must be asking the wrong questions. What did you ask them?
If big foot had the same mold from '78 to '05. The frame should be the same?
If you have the time can you measure the length of the spring (the long flat bar curve from eye to eye) and the eye to eye measurement across the spring, If possible? If any one else has any info please post it. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #15

British Columbia
Ahhh geez sorry Jeff. I didn't see you post until today. Don't know what's wrong with Standens they where very accomodating for me. My long story is I was in Yuma AZ when I was looking for the springs. Standens said they had them in stock in their warehouse in Vancouver and one of their US distributors (Gittspring Auburn Washington) came up weekly to get springs and they would see that he picked mine up an took them back to Auburn and forward them to me in Yuma. I had them in about 4 days couldn't beat that for service.
The springs I got where UT 1255. Right now installed on the trailer they are 25 3/4 center to center. The eyes on the mount pads on the frame are 24 1/2 C/C. The springs are 5 leaf which was one of the resons I replaced with the same springs. Most others I found where 4 leaf.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whew, I was getting confused. First I hear springs, then someone posted about the bend in the middle (torsion)... gad, who's on first? I hope the OP is following and getting the correct information. BTW: most BIG cities have spring shops. If you can get the measurements you need, it's entirely possible you can find what you need locally. Don't forget you need bushings and new shackles (for springs)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Whew, I was getting confused. First I hear springs, then someone posted about the bend in the middle (torsion)... gad, who's on first? I hope the OP is following and getting the correct information. BTW: most BIG cities have spring shops. If you can get the measurements you need, it's entirely possible you can find what you need locally. Don't forget you need bushings and new shackles (for springs)
Really, What part do you not understand. Both springs and axle camber where part of the OPs discussion. Don't know where torsion came from
Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #18

British Columbia
Thanks Lyle.
The measurements of the leaf spring sound like the ones I bought. I'm really thinking the trailer is the problem. Ill check the spring mounts this week end. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #19

British Columbia
It may be possible that a previous owner ran into the same problem of sourcing springs and moved the mount on the frame to fit the springs they bought. Like I said previously I was very happy with the way the original springs performed other than one started to sag. I am happy with the replacements. They have about 3000 miles on them. I think the key is the 5 leaf construction rather than the four leaf of regular utility trailer springs. They provide a better rebound rate.

Tags
axle, bigfoot