Installing a 12v DC refrigerator in a Lil Snoozy - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #61

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
You always could instal this to keep your camper warm it does not use and electric.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57331-Olympian-Wave-3-Catalytic/dp/B000BUV1RK
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #62

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I like this one (electric): Muskoka Personal Desktop Electric Fireplace - Gloss Black | Meijer.com
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #63

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jason, It does work well, as we have used this very one in our toy hauler, and have used Coleman Black cat (too much heat), & the Sport cat in our Scamp, but they do produce moisture as a byproduct.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #64

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My brother uses this kerosene heater in his 8' x 8' x 7' cube:
Kero-World 10,500 BTU Kerosene Heater | Canadian Tire

It doesn't set off his CO detector, 0 ppm.
Mr Heat gives him a 30 ppm reading.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #65

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
You always could instal this to keep your camper warm it does not use and electric.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57331-Olympian-Wave-3-Catalytic/dp/B000BUV1RK
Yes. You could. And since one can't have a twenty pound cylinder inside the trailer (even if there was room), you'd have to snake a propane line through the window, or the door, or drill a hole in the wall. But first you'd have to figure out how/where to transport the tank.

Or you could pay someone to retrofit a propane system. That would be messy. Not to mention sort of sad, given that it would be hard to hide the cutouts etc. such a retrofit would necessarily leave behind in your spankin' new trailer.

I suppose you could use disposable cylinders- of course, a heater consumes propane pretty fast and there's only a pound of propane in a disposable bottle. A case or so might get you through a four day weekend. This assuming you have the space to transport those.

All of this because Snoozy decided at the outset not to install propane systems...and please spare me the "we're not insured for it" stuff. It was a design decision, nothing more. A poor one in my opinion and perhaps that of both prospective buyers and those owners who've already either done the retrofit or sold the trailer because of this limitation. I think it will likely also have a significant impact on resale potential.

I heard/read that the company changed hands last fall. Here's hoping the new owners will come to their senses and at least install gas lines before they close the walls up. Then folks wouldn't have to tear up a twenty thousand dollar trailer once they discover the limitations imposed by the lack of this very basic system.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #66

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I heard/read that the company changed hands last fall. Here's hoping the new owners will come to their senses and at least install gas lines before they close the walls up. Then folks wouldn't have to tear up a twenty thousand dollar trailer once they discover the limitations imposed by the lack of this very basic system.
Someone posted here Francesca a while back the they have already changed their ways and one can arrange at the time they order the trailer to have it set up for gas... they don't do it at the factory they send it elsewhere to be done. Or at least that was my understanding...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #67

Virginia
Snoozy did not change hands, and there is a propane option available. They are very willing to work with their customers on any option they can think of, because, after all, it's going to be the customer's trailer. I still think I can manage without the propane, but someone who is picking up his trailer in July will have a horizontal-mount propane tank on the tongue and will have a different configuration for the battery. He's also having solar installed. Those are big changes from the original configuration, but it shows that Lil Snoozy is not rigidly opposed to propane, and can coordinate it for the buyer.

As for me, I'm not really looking to buy a trailer for resale, but for traveling in the present (whenever that may be). I believe there will be buyers when/if I choose to sell it, even if it's configured to my taste. Lil Snoozy makes a good trailer that might not appeal to everybody, but it appeals to me.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #68

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I retrofitted an all electric EggCamper with propane and the above wave heater. You can find 5 lb propane containers that fit inside a plastic tongue tool box with 2 batteries. Worked ideally and I was all set to replace my windows with thrmapane to help in the cold weather. I had an interesting conversation with the window manufacturer who was going to make me my custom 3 window set up. He said I was wasting my money, with no wall and floor and ceiling insulation the windows would not work. So running heat in an uninsulated trailer is just like having a heater in a tent, you lose all you heat to the outside. That is when I decided to find a fiberglass trailer with insulation that will keep the heat inside.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #69

Virginia
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your positive responses and good solutions. Tongue weight and space were my big problems with the propane, because I'll have a couple of batteries to go with my solar. Maybe with a lighter, smaller tank, it could be done as another back-up system.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #70

Virginia
Here's an air conditioning solution everyone can use:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=607113049358403&set=vb.139188202817559 &type=2&theater
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #71

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
There is a nitch for all electric campers.

That's why each person has to make a list
of their needs in the style camping they do.

I liked the self description of another poster
last year that I have adopted to describe myself.
I'm tourist that pulls his motel room with him....lol.

The pioneers didn't have all that propane
accessories as they journeyed from the east
to the west. A purist boondocker would
scoff at all of us I'm sure.

All you need is a compass, a knife, a hatchet
and the knowledge it takes to live with nature
as the total source.

Pine bed to sleep in, lean to for shelter,
traps for food, etc. But like everyone else,
it's a choice of conveniences we want to
take along.

One could get by with just a bed roll.............LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #72

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	68628

Spanke
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #73

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
nature knows best............
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Snoozy did not change hands, .
I think if you check a little bit more of the history of Lil' Snoozy and its ownership you will find they was indeed change in the ownership.
Richard Mickle himself confirmed to this list back in November.

His Linkedin profile confirms it:
(Owner) LiL' Snoozy, LLC.
Columbia, South Carolina Area | Leisure, Travel & Tourism
Current: Owner/Operator at LiL' Snoozy, LLC.

As far as your tongue weight concerns go, you mentioned you need two batteries for your solar needs. Are you going with 2 6 volt batteries? or 1 12 volt? A lot of folks who have gone the 2 - 6 volt way end up mounting the batteries to the rear of the trailer to avoid the weight issue up front - does Lil' Snoozy offer that option? Personally have found that I get by pretty well with a single deep cell 12 volt battery with my solar set up.

I have also found that a single 20lb propane tank even when used to run my fridge and cooking inside the trailer at least one meal a day and running the furnace as needed I can get by a long time between tank fill ups. Actually have gone as long as 6 weeks of travel going on and off the grid for 50% maybe more and not had to refill the 20lb tank. Always a little surprised when I see 2 20lb tanks on a small trailer & wonder why, I assume they stay of the grid for weeks at a time and never drive anywhere near a refill station when out exploring the area they are in. Would think that you could get by with a 10lb tank that would last you at least 5 days and probable longer when boon docking and using it to run a fridge.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #75

Virginia
Richard is one of the owners and the Vice President. Nicholas Smoak is the other partner, so there was a small change. I haven't seen a big change in the philosophy, because I believe they've always been willing to make changes to satisfy the customer.

I'm planning on 2 6 volts right now, because my electrical needs are probably greater than yours, since the Lil Snoozy was designed for electricity.

The entrance is from the rear, so I don't see mounting the batteries there as an option, though I'm looking at some sort of tire gate mounted on the rear bumper for the spare. The hull has been pierced in the front in a protected area for connections, and I think it's the best area for them, since all the wiring is already there. Really no place in the back to put the wiring, unless the shower is eliminated, and that's why I even considered a trailer:-)

I still plan to use a 12v fridge and my little butane stove, so no propane needed there. Really the only things I'll use the tank for are the water heater and the heater, when cold enough. I suppose I could hook up the Weber grill...
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #76

NE Oklahoma
Alan said that he is not retiring any time soon , he is still the sole owner and is now in charge of design and development . Richard is his office / sales manger . That is the latest update for now .

Topic: THIS IS WHAT HE HAD TO SAY
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #77

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Alan said that he is not retiring any time soon , he is still the sole owner and is now in charge of design and development . Richard is his office / sales manger . That is the latest update for now .

Topic: THIS IS WHAT HE HAD TO SAY
Carl, I can't see on the link you provided what Alan actually said (only thing I can see is the statement "This is what he had to say" .... but what ever it was, if he actually said still "sole" owner that appears to be in conflict with what Richard Mickle himself said here, as well as what is on Richard's professional on line profile.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
The entrance is from the rear, so I don't see mounting the batteries there as an option, though I'm looking at some sort of tire gate mounted on the rear bumper for the spare. .

How some of the other trailer manufactures have accommodated the dual batteries is to mount them on the rear bumper towards the side of the trailer. Would still allow the rear door of the Lil Snoozy to open.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #79

Virginia
I understand.
Quote:
How some of the other trailer manufactures have accommodated the dual batteries is to mount them on the rear bumper towards the side of the trailer.
But the electronics are toward the front, and the cable run will become more inefficient as the run becomes longer. It's a trade-off, I guess - tongue weight or electrical efficiency. I think the mods to the wiring/system would be a bit of a nightmare (=$$$), too.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
I understand.
But the electronics are toward the front, and the cable run will become more inefficient as the run becomes longer. It's a trade-off, I guess - tongue weight or electrical efficiency. I think the mods to the wiring/system would be a bit of a nightmare (=$$$), too.
Not sure you would have to talk with one of the fiberglass trailer manufactures who have done it. Running the extra length of charge wire to the rear of the trailer while in build stage wouldn't be all that much more costly (whats another 14' of wire cost?). Not sure you are going to loose much in the way of electrical efficiency either - assuming the run from the battery to the location of the appliances doesnt change. Sure one of our electrical types here could probable come up with a number in regards what you would loose in running the vehicle charge line the extra 14' down the body of the trailer to the rear... but having the 2 6 volt batteries may make up for that and who knows your tug may not have the power outage to keep up with the power usage of the fridge when towing anyways.... many of them do not.

Any which way it sounds like you have it all sorted out as to what your needs wants are anyways..... it was just a thought if you had real concerns in regards to the trailers tongue weight.

Tags
lil snoozy, refrigerator