Jennifer's 1979 Scamp "Journal" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #21

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Back view of the trailer with the new window. So excited for more ventilation!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #22

Colorado
Registry
(Haven't trimmed the butyl yet.)
Old 06-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #23

Colorado
Registry
Bed pull out FINALLY finished. A few false starts and drawing board revisits along the way...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #24

Colorado
Registry
We took it out camping for the first time this past weekend, and I love love love the bed extension. It works very well!

I decided we definitely needed a sink/stove topper...whipped this up out of scrap birch to match the table tonight:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #25

Colorado
Registry
The uglier side that flips onto the stove..
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #26

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Widows!!

A little jealous of your windows! Nice work so far, and thanks for your posts!
Em H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #27

Name: M J
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Bed Extension?

Where do you store the bed extension when the table top is used as a table? Also is this for 1 person or 2?
wanderingjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #28

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em H View Post
A little jealous of your windows! Nice work so far, and thanks for your posts!
I have not regretted in penny of the time and money I put into those two windows! The over the stove one is fabulous! ifound a properly sized one with the same design as the old jalousie Windows/same "depth", and used that, as it was almost impossible to find an actual scamp small window (and the one time I did, it was $125!!). This window has almost twice the screen area as the original over stove Windows.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #29

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingjo View Post
Where do you store the bed extension when the table top is used as a table? Also is this for 1 person or 2?

It slides under the table in table or travel mode/the table leg is mounted to it. It was our solution to comfortably sleep me and my 6'4" Dh...and added bonus was the 2 year old also fits on the closet side under the window without squishing. (she will end up on the bunk sooner or later, but this kept us from needing to build a good child rail.)

We did have one small mishap with the bed extension on our second trip out, si I need to fix it before giving more details. It was an anticipated possible failure, so no big deal. . Plans already in place for the fix.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1981
What a great improvement! Nice!
Robert SZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #31

How does the bed extension work? Do you still sleep across the Scamp? If so, how does this help? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #32

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert SZ View Post
How does the bed extension work? Do you still sleep across the Scamp? If so, how does this help? Thanks!
We sleep with our head to the back window and our foot to the front windows. This gives us a much bigger bed...if you lay on your bed, you may notice that your upper body takes up more room than your lower body...our upper body now has the entire width of the trailer and our legs have less, but still acceptable amount.

For perspective, my6'4" 215# Dh and I (average size) barely fit the traditional way. He really is too short, too. This way, we fit great...and our 2 year old even joins us! Adding a third person AND less crowded feeling

PLUS...i hate crawling over people in the middle if the nigt...this eliminates that.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #33

Name: Annie
Trailer: In the market something lighter than 1500 pounds
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
We did have one small mishap with the bed extension on our second trip out, so I need to fix it before giving more details. It was an anticipated possible failure, so no big deal. . Plans already in place for the fix.
I am looking forward to hearing the details!
annie.coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
We sleep with our head to the back window and our foot to the front windows. This gives us a much bigger bed...if you lay on your bed, you may notice that your upper body takes up more room than your lower body...our upper body now has the entire width of the trailer and our legs have less, but still acceptable amount.

For perspective, my6'4" 215# Dh and I (average size) barely fit the traditional way. He really is too short, too. This way, we fit great...and our 2 year old even joins us! Adding a third person AND less crowded feeling

PLUS...i hate crawling over people in the middle if the nigt...this eliminates that.
Jennifer, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I understand now and that is an intriguing idea. Buy my measurements you'd have to extend the bed area into the Scamp by about 3 feet In order to have the same 6'6" bed length? And your extension must be pretty sturdy to be able to crawl over it and out the door. Do you add separate legs ar the end?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #35

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert SZ View Post
Jennifer, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I understand now and that is an intriguing idea. Buy my measurements you'd have to extend the bed area into the Scamp by about 3 feet In order to have the same 6'6" bed length? And your extension must be pretty sturdy to be able to crawl over it and out the door. Do you add separate legs ar the end?
It extends to the edge of the closet now. i haven't measured....it may not be as long as the bed sideways...BUT the feeling is of more room. Neither of us mind if our toes hang off a bit...better than being squished in our opinion!!

We do have two screw on legs holding it up and it is stabilized with locking pins as well. It is plenty stable for us to get in and out of bed on.

You can effect the set up with a armless camping chair placed sudeways and a few firm pillows to bring it up to cushion height...some people actually build a stand alone table, which we did consider.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #36

Thank you!!! We're going to try the camp table extension. Best to you!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #37

Colorado
Registry
I've been working on closet modifications...doing a combo of plywood shelves and IKEA trofast bins on homemade sliders. The shelves are in and poly-ed, the bins bought and waiting. We went through the sides of the closet with plastic snap caps covering the screws, and used 1x1 for the supports and 1/2" plywood for the shelves with 1/4" plywood wedged and glued for the lips.

All wood and poly has been from my scrap pile...$12 in screws and screw caps, however, plus $13 in ikea bins....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #38

Colorado
Registry
And the finished closet inside...amazing use of space now!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #39

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Closet mods

I used the same idea in our Boler. No screws through the sides though. Used industrial adhesive to attach shelf supports, with no tell-tale screws or caps!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #40

Colorado
Registry
There is foam lining my closet that I didn't want to remove...I did think about adhesive or simply building a framework inside the cabinet, thought!

Tags
scamp