window leakage in scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Unhappy window leakage in scamp

2 of my 2001 Scamp16 windows leak enough to wet bedding. They barely leaked until I started opening them this spring. I made sure the drainage slots and "tunnels" at the bottom were not plugged but it was not the cause. Most dripping occurs in the bottom middle of the window but I can not locate how it gets there. The "slots" that the windows slide seem to fill with water. Are the drainage slots just being overwhelmed with water since there are no "lips" at the top to divert the water from the rounded roof pouring down over them? Suggestions?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A couple of Uhaul owners with the same problem found that by running a string or shoelace through the weep holes helped to wick out the water that lays in the channel. Easy and cheap to try. The stick on RV gutter placed above the windows may help some also. Others have made small awnings for over the windows using PVC pipe and awning fabric.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Hehr glazing beads

The rubber seals along the outer frame of the windows can shrink as they age. You will usually notice that a gap is forming and the seal doesn't go all the way around anymore. What is less noticeable is that the seal shrinks in width also, and no longer is tight against the window, allowing water running down the glass to sneak into the channel.
We need to replace ours too, and a search of "Hehr glazing beads" should take you to some pages that show what you need. (This assumes you have the Hehr branded sliding windows)
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
If the channels that the window slides in fill up with water, it is a clear indication that the weep holes/slots or the channels are filled with gunk. Here is what you need to do:
Slide the pane part way. Then lift the rubber U-channel out part way slide more as needed and get it out completely. The pane then drops, and the top swings out inside. Lift it out and really clean out that aluminum frame. You should actually see the drain slots from inside. Pulling a string through it does not do enough, neither does poking a wire through. It has to be done right. Re-assemble in reverse order. Have fun, and a dry bed!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
If the channels that the window slides in fill up with water, it is a clear indication that the weep holes/slots or the channels are filled with gunk. Here is what you need to do:
Slide the pane part way. Then lift the rubber U-channel out part way slide more as needed and get it out completely. The pane then drops, and the top swings out inside. Lift it out and really clean out that aluminum frame. You should actually see the drain slots from inside. Pulling a string through it does not do enough, neither does poking a wire through. It has to be done right. Re-assemble in reverse order. Have fun, and a dry bed!
You have perfectly described the way to get the job done after long term build up. A wire or pipe cleaner works well for regular cleaning in between though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Michigan
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #7

Michigan
Is this too hard for someone who has never done something like this? I do not have a shelter for trailer so I will have a huge problem if I can not get the window and seal back together again!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

Michigan
Does anyone have a picture and/or source info of awnings and/or gutters (someone mentioned stick-on rain gutters) for the sliding windows that have been put on Scamps? Water from curved roof pours over them!!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Is this too hard for someone who has never done something like this? I do not have a shelter for trailer so I will have a huge problem if I can not get the window and seal back together again!!!
No, this is not very hard to do, but have some plastic sheet handy and DUCTAPE. That's what holds half of the world together anyway! Simply taping plastic over the windows will give you time to work it out regardless of weather.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Does anyone have a picture and/or source info of awnings and/or gutters (someone mentioned stick-on rain gutters) for the sliding windows that have been put on Scamps? Water from curved roof pours over them!!
It will help some but the angle of the sides is not vertical and rain will still accumulate in the track.

I had to replace the felt run track in my sliding windows as it no longer made a good seal against the glass. But that was not on a Scamp it was on a 1970 Trailswest Campster. I don't know exactly what material Scamp uses in the window track for the windows to slide in.

There are a number of things that can go wrong on sliding windows. Just look at them carefully and do a bit of localized water testing to see if you can figure it out to eliminate some of the possibilities and get to the most likely causes. Think like an engineer, scientist or crime scene investigator.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
You can purchase the rain gutters in either white or off white from Camping World.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp