So, I hate my Scamp bumper... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
So, I hate my Scamp bumper...

Would it be hard to find someone to cut it off and weld on one that's more solid?

I want a folding spare tire holder mounted to my bumper so that I can put an access door in the back of the Scamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You did see this, right?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...unt-80148.html

It appears to have been built off the standard Scamp bumper. I don't know that this solution has yet to pass the test of time, potholes, speed bumps, railroad crossings...

I'm guessing the upper attachment to the old spare tire mount is critical. Without it, you'd probably need not only a stronger bumper but also rear frame reinforcement of some kind. There aren't any cross members under the dinette. I had to add one in order to mount a receiver for a bike rack.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Simply weld in a new crossmember and attach it to the rear bumper with a piece of square tubing. You can also add a square tube bumper.
No need to hate a solid piece of angle iron... just consider it a good start for a mod!
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 005.jpg   DSCF0015.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You did see this, right?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...unt-80148.html

It appears to have been built off the standard Scamp bumper. I don't know that this solution has yet to pass the test of time, potholes, speed bumps, railroad crossings...

I'm guessing the upper attachment to the old spare tire mount is critical. Without it, you'd probably need not only a stronger bumper but also rear frame reinforcement of some kind. There aren't any cross members under the dinette. I had to add one in order to mount a receiver for a bike rack.

Yeah...I like his set up, but I don't really want to have to deal with that upper attachment if it all possible.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
An access door to the back of the trailer? Are you thinking a big hatch to put a boat or kayak through it? Maybe I'm confused. BUT the original designed rear bumper on a Scamp is about as thin as a piece of tin foil. I wouldn't mount a spare tire to it or much of anything else.

Please tell us what exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe there's a better solution than what you think.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #6

Georgia
Just a storage hatch. There's so much unused space under the back bed and front bunk.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Just a storage hatch. There's so much unused space under the back bed and front bunk.
We use a variety of different-colored inexpensive tool bags and duffel bags to pack and organize various clothes, tools, nylon line, spare parts and what-not. Whatever is the least-used gets moved to the back of the space under our "permanent bed" where we replaced the rear dinette cushions with a thicker, heavier custom mattress.

As an example, we have a "towing bag" with wheel chocks, levelers, a kneeling pad, drawbar and related items. This bag is placed in an easily accessible spot when we are on the road. After arrival, once the trailer is set up and leveled, we shift it to the very back of the space under the rear bed along with spare parts and tools that we don't expect to normally need while in camp. At the same time, the duffel bags with our clothing and shower gear get "promoted" to the front of the space where we can just reach down and grab them while we are in camp.

We use a flashlight along with the awning tool to identify and "hook" the duffel bags in the back to pull them out if we need them or are shifting things around. To date, that has basically been limited to the times when when we are arriving and departing from a campground.

I've toyed with more involved solutions such as adding a hinged support board under the mattress so that we could lift it up to access the space. However, the approach with the duffel bags, flashlight and awning tool has actually been working out quite well for us so I may just let it go at that.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
That angle Iron bumper is more solid than the thin tube frame its attached to. The problem with swing away tires mounted to the bumper is the weight and leverage of the tire wiggling about rips the hinge off the bumper. Instead of a swing away go with a swing down and still make a quick release at the same body support for the tire. Then you could cut in a hatch below that. You would have to glass in support to the body shell on the inside of the trailer.

For us in our 13 foot scamp we leave the table down all the time. During travel we store in the empty space under the table with our empty grey water tote, our propane barbecue, 2 bags of plastic leveling blocks and other small light stuff. When we park to camp we unload almost everything from under the table in set-up so for the duration of our stay that space is now used for 2 Duffel's for our clothes (his, hers) and space for our shoes to get them out from under foot. This works out well for us so I see no need for a rear hatch in our use. Anything you carry under the table space has to be very light or you upset the balance of the trailer. That space is behind the rear axle so you do have to consider weight limitations and location.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Anything you carry under the table space has to be very light or you upset the balance of the trailer. That space is behind the rear axle so you do have to consider weight limitations and location.
Steve,

Great point! With the Casita 17, it's just the opposite as it is so tongue-heavy. So, I work here to reduce weight forward of the axle.

It goes to show that sometimes a solution is universal, and sometimes not so much at all.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not a Scamp, but a bumper is a bumper. One of the first "mods" I did when I got my trailer was to Saws-All off the tin foil sewer hose bumper and weld on a nice chunk of 3" X 3/16" square channel tube. I then welded a 1.5" square channel tube a little further forward, crosswise between the main frame rails, and also welded a section of 2" receiver tube for a 2" hitch under that. That's where I mount my Stow-Away storage box. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
RearBumper.JPG   ReceiverHitch2.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG   IMG_0003_4 (Small).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
...Instead of a swing away go with a swing down and still make a quick release at the same body support for the tire. Then you could cut in a hatch below that. You would have to glass in support to the body shell on the inside of the trailer.
Agree with the swing-down and upper quick release attachment, but I don't see why you need additional shell reinforcement. There is already a large piece of wood (OSB or plywood depending on year) glassed into the lower rear shell, and the three (or two) bolts in the factory spare tire mount are attached to a single steel plate behind the wood. Just find a way to attach the quick release mechanism to the existing spare tire mount. No new holes in the shell, but this would be a good time to make sure those bolt holes are well-sealed.

Here's one way that might be done. Cut the existing bolts off shorter. Attach a plate with a new bolt aligned with the center of the wheel on its swing-down rack. Use something like this to hold the raised wheel against the plate:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	107139

Thoughts? Better quick-release set-up?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
An access door to the back of the trailer? Are you thinking a big hatch to put a boat or kayak through it? Maybe I'm confused. BUT the original designed rear bumper on a Scamp is about as thin as a piece of tin foil. I wouldn't mount a spare tire to it or much of anything else.

Please tell us what exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe there's a better solution than what you think.
My original Scamp rear bumper is 3/16" thick. Plenty substantial and thicker than old school truck bumpers from days of yore.
I welded my box bumper to it, which is the square tubing used as industry standard to make RV bumpers and store the stinky slinky. It is half the thickness... only 3/32"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not a Scamp, but a bumper is a bumper. One of the first "mods" I did when I got my trailer was to Saws-All off the tin foil sewer hose bumper and weld on a nice chunk of 3" X 3/16" square channel tube. I then welded a 1.5" square channel tube a little further forward, crosswise between the main frame rails, and also welded a section of 2" receiver tube for a 2" hitch under that. That's where I mount my Stow-Away storage box. YMMV

Like it!

Tags
scamp