Winterize 99 Casita SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Winterize 99 Casita SD

I know there's lots out there on this subject (and I've read most)...but I was hoping someone could give me quick Cliffs Notes on this subject. I have to go to the storage lot to do this...want to make sure I don't get half way through the project, have a question, and no access to this forum!

I'm in SC, it has only dipped down to 30 once, so I'm on borrowed time. I will do this this coming weekend.

I've already drained the water tank and emptied the grey/black. I've never used the city water connection or the water heater.

So....step by step, what do I need to do? I'm going to take a stab, please give me feedback!

1. Make sure water heater is drained. I read that you do this by opening up the cover on the outside of the trailer and check to see if there's any water in there from there. I'm not sure I completely understand how to drain it dry, though.

2. Turn the bypass valve. On inside? Curb side dinette seat?

3. Put 2 or 3 gallons of antifreeze in the tank.

4. Turn on pump, run sink til pink. Then run sink in bathroom til pink. Then flush toilet til pink.

(in the spring, repeat the process...backwards....with bleach water solution....maybe run it through several times)

Is that it?

Also, regarding battery, I've read a bunch on this, too. If I keep the battery hooked up, what damage does/could this do? If I keep it hooked up, do I need to do anything else, like plug it into shore power from time to time? Plug it into tow vehicle? If so for how long?

Sorry to ask questions that I've read about and know answers are out there. Trying to get the info in one place so I can go do this...and do it well and quickly!

Thanks!
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
First of all check the water heater and see if there is water in it or if you are already in by-pass mode. First lift the pressure relief valve to release any pressure that might be in it. Then using a 1/2 ratchet, an extension, and a 1 1/16 socket and remove the anode rod. Leave the anode rod out for the winter and install in it's place the correct size(maybe 3/4 inch?) pvc coupling with a hose filter washer glued inside of it to allow air into your water heater and keep critters out. If there is water in your tank than your are not in by-pass mode- if no water than you are already in by-pass. If you need to put it into by-pass than go inside and lift your access panel and turn the valve- I think it needs to be horizontal.
Once your in by-pass you can add the antifreeze to your fresh water tank- here in Northern Minnesota I use 3 gallons- then go ahead and pump it through all of your faucets and run enough to fill the p-traps. I don't worry about doing the bleach thing in the spring because we bring fresh water with us that we use for cooking and drinking.
About the battery I would just remove it and bring it home with me and keep it charged all winter- it will last a lot longer that way. Hope this helps....
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would add in the spring I drain and then flush several times. Then I add the bleach solution, let it sit overnight and then drain and flush some more. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita