Advice wanted! 1990 Casita. good deal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Advice wanted! 1990 Casita. good deal?

Hi! My husband has wanted a Casita forever and there is a 1990, 16 foot for sale nearby for 2,800. We look at it today, but thought I would ask a couple of questions to you guys, the experts.

-What should I look at or ask about when we check this out? What are things that would be really expensive to replace, and what wouldn't be a big deal?

-Overall, Is this a good price? I know it depends on condition, but what would you accept for this price?

Any advice is huge! My hubby has a tendency to get really carried away and I don't want to buy something that isn't worth it. And we're heading up there in an hour (he makes things happen) so I'm looking for quick advice. Anything is appreciated!

Thanks!
Coznells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Texas
bought my 1986 for $2000, completely gutted. It had recent brakes and lift kit added. I figure that 2800 would buy one with everything in it but in pretty poor shape- maybe needing complete restoration. Of course price is a function of supply and demand mixed with sellers market/ buyers market, and a dash of urgency from one side or the other. I don't think you could go wrong at something towable and watertight for 2800.
Lightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Make sure there is a clear title
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with the other posters that $2800 is an unusually low price, so I would go cautiously. If it's not an outright scam, it likely has some issues. Once you find out what those are, you can decide if you are willing to invest the money and/or sweat equity into repairs. First priority is a clear title in the seller's name, not a third party! Then, to help you evaluate what work might need to be done, there is a very helpful "Buyer's Checklist" in the document center:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the advice and replies. Checked it out and I guess we got really lucky. The Casita is in amazing condition, right down to the adorable curtains made by the owners. We bought it and it's awesome! Totally ready to sleep in and use today. Feeling lucky!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #6

California
Like Jon and I said, was the title in the sellers name ? If so.....yahoooo!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Lisa,
Pictures would be great, of your new purchase?

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
We bought it and it's awesome!
Congrat's!!!

Time to drop the "looking for" in your profile then.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our son bought a 1991 Casita 16 for $3000. When they went to pay the owner said he had 100 calls after them, many offering more but he stuck by his word and sold it for $3000, The price is great and better yet if it's in good condition.

Our experience with buying used trailers is that they usually have been rarely used. Our first 25 year old trailer had been used 2 weeks a year for 25 years.

The principal things to check in my mind are the floor and the refrigerator.

Wishing you well,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our son bought a 1991 Casita 16 for $3000. When they went to pay the owner said he had 100 calls after them, many offering more but he stuck by his word and sold it for $3000, The price is great and better yet if it's in good condition.

Our experience with buying used trailers is that they usually have been rarely used. Our first 25 year old trailer had been used 2 weeks a year for 25 years.

The principal things to check in my mind are the floor and the refrigerator.

Wishing you well,
Norm,
Could you please explain to me the things that I need to look for in the floor of a trailer? How can I find the problems with the floors in the Scamps, with out pulling up the floor covering? The refrigerator, I can figure out, but the floor is something that is harder to see in certain places.
Thanks for your advise!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carl, It's a more of a problem in the Casita because you can not see the floor from the bottom.

In my very limited experience of purchasing trailers, I crawl under the trailer and inspect the floor near the edges of the body of the trailer to see if there's any softening of the wood. In my experience Scamp floors rot from the top down, usually under windows or near the water tank, Generally these areas do not have floor covering allowing you to see the top side. I use a flash light and check under cabinets and the like. One area where this is not true is carpet is under the dinette. There I just peeled back the rug a little.

Any place where the top of the wooden floor is showing, I paint the OSB. This gives you a little time to dry the floor should you have a water event. In our case we had a pipe failure at the hot water tank in the middle of the night.

As an aside, thought I've never seen a floor problem from below, probably because the bottom side is covered with resin, I paint the resin as well.

You can test by going around and tap with a hammer or the handle of a screw driver.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Colorado
Yes, title in seller's name and now all ours. We were second in line; the first person had a deposit down and everything, but thought it was too small. Seller said he had MANY calls and even offers for more money but kept his word and sold to us (he is a chaplain so seemed very trustworthy).

Roy, you're right! Profile changed.

And I will get some pictures and upload soon.

SO EXCITED!!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #14

California
Glad it all went well for you, have fun with it
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On a Casita over the outer fiberglass bottom is a layer of OSB that is fiber glassed over then the carpet.

Water can get between the fiberglass layers in a number of places and cause the OSB that's just wood chips glued together to come apart. That causes soft spots in the floor. On a scamp there is no fiberglass bottom and it's a bigger problem then a floor with soft spots when the same OSB deteriorates.

One place is around the cups in the floor where the chrome posts set for the table.
Another source for water leakage is how the refrigerator is vented allows water to enter and there's not a good way for it to exit.

I would not be alarmed if you find a couple.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #16

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Lisa congrats on the Casita. Sounds like you got a really good deal. Often as others stated. What sounds to good to be true usually is. But not always. Sometimes people purchase them, keep them for a few years and sell them not knowing that these eggs holds their value. You could easily double your money on it today if its in the shape you say it is. Welcome to the egg family. Show us some pictures.

Tags
casita