Casita vs Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #21

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I think it depends on which unit finds you.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
My Scamp 13 has a 54" bed and now you don't even have to get the Deluxe to get the bigger bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
There you go, used trailer beggers can't always be choosers. Unless you want to stay home dreaming about camping. I am not in the new trailer market right now, but if I was neither the Scamp or Castia would be my choice. I am not going to spend 16-18k for a trailer with a little bitty bed.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
From just a general perspective after checking the Casita out at a rally or two the difference in trailer ride height is the most significant thing that jumps out at you.

The Casita appears to sit a good bit higher than a Scamp. Casita has a step, Scamp does not need one. I know it took a little shopping to find a drop hitch to match my 05 Escape to the lower Scamp tongue height. For back country (NFS comes to mind) the additional ride height might be useful on some of those access roads, especially with holding tanks. Going down the road I think the Scamp tucks into the air flow of our TV better. But YMMV - literally.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny, by her actions is perpetually whispering in my ear. One of her favorites is, "Happiness is being satisfied with what you have". A corollary to that is if you can't be happy with what you have, getting more will not necessarily make you happy, because there's always more beyond.

The gag of my life is that by the time Ginny was 27 she had all the material things she wanted in life, unfortunately she did not tell me until I was in my 50's. If I had known we might have hit the road earlier. Ginny, a woman with rather easy needs, a husband who loved her, a home and two children, boys in our case.

The width of the bed is way down the list for us. Could we be happier with a wider bed? Possibly. One aspect about humanity I find interesting is the flexibility of life, the ability to survive well in all kinds of environments.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I don't own either a Scamp or Casita, but it seems I have read on this site several comments that Casita was heavier on the nose, so I checked.

Here is what I found from the manufacturers sites:

Scamp Specs:
Approximate weight: 1300-1600 lb
Axle Capacity: 2200 pound torsion axle
Hitch weight: 120-160 pounds

Casita Specs:
Dry Wt. DLX: 1880 lbs.
Hitch Wt. DLX: 245 lbs.
Axle Capacity: 3500 lbs

So, generally speaking the Casita does have a heavier hitch weight. However, it appears to have greater overall carrying capacity.

Worth looking into, in terms of tow vehicle, mileage and such. I'm sure Scamp or Casita owners will comment based on actual experience with these campers.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #26

Florida
Axle Weight

If you compare the Casita 16 and Scamp 16, they both have 3500 pound axles and the Scamp probably can carry more because I suspect the Scamp has a lower dry weight.

Casita 13s are relatively rare unlike Scamp 13's whichare relatively common.

I'm suspect if you wanted a 3500 pound axle on the Scamp 13 you could get one.

We towed with a small tow vehicle and kept the Scamp 16's tongue to no more than 200#s. Impossible with the Casita 16 though it towed well behind our CRV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm suspect if you wanted a 3500 pound axle on the Scamp 13 you could get one....
You are correct.

Dexter the #10 axle is for the range 2300 - 4000 lbs. so if your scamp 13 axle is rated to over 2200 lbs. it's the #10 which would have the rubber tuned to what you request. Which could be 3500 lbs.

I think it might be more common to order the #9 which tops out at 2200 lbs. because a 13 ft. Scamp real world weights listed they don't tend to go over 2000 lbs.

I ordered Al-Ko and they had slightly different ranges but I do recall the rubber was not installed to max capacity unless one asked for it specifically. Think 2000 was the default suspension. I wanted a little stiffer (and hopefully longer lasting without sag) so specified that higher rating with the order.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
scamp vs casita

Casita 17's are heavy on the tongue. But if you compare 16' casita's with 16' scamps, you will find the trailer and tongue weight close, assuming you compare units with bathrooms.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #29

Florida
We've weighed our Scamp and Casita. We traveled extensively in both, virtually carrying the same load, both had baths, we always carried a 1/2 tank of water and empty waste tanks.

Casita 16 Hitch 230, Trailer 2790, year 2010
Scamp 16 Hitch 200, Trailer 2440, year 2013

We have replaced the Scamp's original table with pine, all cabinet doors and removed the plywood couch backing.

We were careful to keep the Casita's hitch weight down and as many of you know the Casita carries the battery inside, not on the tongue.

We had the opportunity to buy a Casita 17 but it was too heavy for our tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #30

Michigan
I think in the 13's the difference is less striking, there is just not a lot of different things one can do with 60 sq. ft. for a camper built for a mass market (you mod fans are a different story).

In the 17 and 16 ft. models I think available floor plans might be more of a factor, the two do have different offerings for floor plan so as a matter of personal preference this might matter. I won't swear to this but I think Scamp might have more floor plans but that is based on their web sites not conversations with the companies or owners who have done more extensive research.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I have had three Casitas. Liked them all but when I went new this spring it was Scamp hands down. Scamp had a few things that I liked that Casita didn't unless I went with a bigger unit. I got a 16' Scamp now. With Scamp I got a higher ceiling & a larger fridge. Would have had to get a 17' Casita for those options which is much heavier. Lastly Scamp is made in Minnesota just a 5 hour drive away. I also liked their insulation and felt they are more in tune with the Northern climate I am in here in ND.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #32

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
For me, if a casita would have come up in my area I would have definitely gone and looked at it, but even Scamps are hard to find in NY! I wanted a 13, so the big seller for me was the interior height as my son is 6 foot and probably still growing. If I'm correct, Casitas don't have the front window, right? I like that feature too for more light.

In the end, I think what you can grab up in two seconds before anybody else does is the ticket. Can't tell you how many trailers I inquired about that were a lengthy drive and sold by my 2nd email!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #33

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
If I'm correct, Casitas don't have the front window, right? I like that feature too for more light.
Casita Deluxe models (Bathroom in front) do not have a front window, but Casita Standard models (front bunks, no bathroom) do have a front window.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #34

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Oh thank you! I did not know that. I've only ever seen one Casita before here in NY, and it didn't have the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #35

Name: John + Linda
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
Casita VS Scamp

About 2 years ago when my wife and I started to get more serious about getting a travel trailer, we searched websites for what was available. Either too big and heavy for our Frontier or too small and cramped. Who wants to clear the table so that you can have room to make the bed and I didnt feel like cooking all my meals outside. We also wanted the seperate bed space so it narrowed down to a 5th wheel. At that time I found only Scamp and Escape made a "small" 5th wheel trailer, I am sure I missed some, and we just didnt see that many Escape 5er for sale. The Scamp 5er was more plentiful, in our price range and easily pulled by the Frontier. We looked at several for sale and finally made a 700 mile trip in June to get our Scamp. Already had the hitch and 7 prong plug and I didn't have to add extra wide mirrors as the stock mirrors see down the sides of the trailer. It is a little narrow inside but 2 big butts will get by each other. We are heading out this monday again for another shake down trip.
frog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #36

Florida
John and Linda,

Wishing you well on your shakedown. We'd own a Scamp 19 if we had owned a truck.

We generally cook inside though we also carry a grill for outside cooking. As to clearing the table our table is only 24 x 30 " so there's never much to clear. We tavel frequently, one year 310 days and making up the bed has been a daily event, about the time it takes to brush your teeth.

One thing we discovered RVing is that our 'butts' have gotten smaller... Have fun and watch for the disappearing butts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Enjoyed the comparison there Fred. A couple of things I would like to add. I own a 13' Scamp but looked at the Patriot as well. Patriot does not offer a roof-top mounted air. So you're stuck with a closet mount A/C on the Patriot. They would do VERY little "options" for you outside of their listed ones. Also, the lady at Casita (Jean) was VERY discouraging about us wanting a 13'. I finally said, "Fine, I'll get a Scamp" and did. I like the 15" tires but feel they're overkill for a 13'er. 14" would be preferable on both. Mine are 13".

Again, thanks for the comparison and just wanted to add that $.02 worth.

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
They are as alike as apples and oranges can be...
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In my opinion neither Scamp or Casita,are open to making changes or adding options that are not on their standard list of options . Their attitude seems to be we build what we build so take it or leave it . I was actually told by one of the above ,that if I wanted to buy a trailer that was tailored to my personal needs and desires " BUY AN ESCAPE "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
And if I buy another smaller FG camper (16-19'), that's what I plan on purchasing...an Escape. I love the Big Foot and Oliver trailers. Just too doggoned expensive. And what's worse, I live 30 miles from the Oliver plant!

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was actually told by one of the above ,that if I wanted to buy a trailer that was tailored to my personal needs and desires " BUY AN ESCAPE "
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In my opinion neither Scamp or Casita,are open to making changes or adding options that are not on their standard list of options . Their attitude seems to be we build what we build so take it or leave it . I was actually told by one of the above ,that if I wanted to buy a trailer that was tailored to my personal needs and desires " BUY AN ESCAPE "
I definitely 2nd this response from Casita. NONE of the US-based FG makers were cooperative for some of the changes I wanted. The good news is at least Escape sources many of their components in the USA to assemble in Canada.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp