Got my new Scamp hinges but... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Got my new Scamp hinges but...

I just got my new Scamp hinges today but they are not drilled the same and it is pretty obvious. Not sure if it will affect how they perform though. I am a little surprised at the lack of attention to detail by Scamp. Anybody else get stuff like this from Scamp? Thinking they should send me another set.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170209_123815509.jpg   IMG_20170209_123825551.jpg  

Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Deep South
Yeah upon further examination this is just not gonna work...the one drilled incorrectly will not sit flush against the door due to the bolt/brass ball/spring sitting crooked in the body side of hinge. I suppose you could force it when bolting it on but it makes me think something's gotta give somewhere, either premature wear of the hinges/ball or binding in the door. Wonder if this could be the cause of any doors not fitting correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170209_125728064.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You know Scamp didn't make the hinges, right? And you know there is a top hinge and a bottom hinge right? They're not the same. Now, I don't know if the offset on the one hinge is an error, or if it's on purpose so the door will swing out from the body and not bind.

Ian???????
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Deep South
No I was not aware of that and Scamp did not mention anything about there being a top and bottom hinge when we ordered them. The set they sent me is stamped 001 on all four cast pieces of the hinge, the hole on one of the hinges is drilled in the wrong spot as you can see in the photos and at an angle. If I were to put the hinges on my Boler the one drilled wrong will not lay flat against the door when the other part of the hinge is bolted to the body, it is that far off.

They are suppose to be sending me a replacement hinge for the one drilled wrong. I asked if he wanted the other one back and he said no I could keep it or toss it. I have another call into them to confirm about any difference in the top and bottom hinges.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
How do they look holding them up to the ones on the door?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Deep South
Dave I will compare them after work but I am pretty sure the ones one the trailer match the one good one Scamp sent. Devin in parts at Scamp confirmed what I suspected that they only have one hinge for both the top and bottom of the door. I did learn a few things from him from our talk:

(1) the Scamp door is narrower by about 1/4 to 1/2" than the Boler door for anyone interested in purchasing a new door for their Boler but they have put some on Bolers before and he mentioned the seals/trim show a little more than some may like. I suppose this could cause issues with the door latch so the strike plate may need adjustment or altered altogether.

(2) he told me that Scamp was building Bolers in 70/71 and started building Scamps in late 71 or 72 and with my serial number it is most likely an American Boler that came out of their plant.

(3) when they started making Scamps they made some small/minor modifications to their molds

Donna I believe Casita does have different hinges for the top and bottom of their curved doors.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Donna I believe Casita does have different hinges for the top and bottom of their curved doors.
Yeah, but Casita uses a completely different hinge on the 16'. Do you still have the old Boler hinges? Do you see any stamping on the surface that would indicate 1 or 2? Although Boler hinges are two bolt and Scamp hinges are three bolt, is the long part the same length on both Boler hinges?
Old 02-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #8

Maybe you'll find some value in Ian's YouTube Video:
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

Deep South
[QUOTE=Donna D.;626655]Do you still have the old Boler hinges? Do you see any stamping on the surface that would indicate 1 or 2?
A PO had already replaced the original Boler hinges with Scamp ones. When I had them off a while back I didnt pay attention to the part number stamped on them.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The brass ball gives the hinge extra angularity adjustment where the hinge mounts to the fiberglass shells. My 1987 Scamp uses the same castings and the same miss match of where the brass ball seats are located. The drill fixture probably locates the holes in proper alignment but if the casting is placed crooked in fixturing or warped during casting your going to get this problem.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
On the boler hinges the angle of the body leaf is different between the upper and lower hinge, it angles to align parallel to the ground. The hinge leafs are numbered with the #1 being the bottom hinge and #2 being the top hinge.

I have bought several sets of Scamp hinges and none of mine have had the hole mis-drilled like the one in the picture. I would say this is a manufacturing error, I would ask for a replacement
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #12

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
scamp hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You know Scamp didn't make the hinges, right? And you know there is a top hinge and a bottom hinge right? They're not the same. Now, I don't know if the offset on the one hinge is an error, or if it's on purpose so the door will swing out from the body and not bind.

Ian???????

I was at the factory last summer and purchased new hinges, scamp does build these hinges more or less. Scamp has the raw hinge casting made up, and at the factory they drill the holes for mounting as well as the holes for the pins (bolt) to go though, as well as the counter sink to accept the brass ball.

My question is if the hinges are different? How do tell the bottom hinge from the top hinge. And how do you know if the halves have been swapped. Also the mounting holes do not seem to be in the same place on the new casting as the original casting. In fact The holes did not line up well with the bolt holes in the camper fiberglass, I had to ream the holes out because the holes were about a half a hole off on each casting
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp