Scamp 13 top bunk size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 AM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Scamp 13 top bunk size?

The top bunk in our Scamp 13 isn't original and I need to cut a new one. Is the top bunk the same size as the bottom bunk? That way i'd be able to just use the bottom bunk as a template.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe it's really close. I can go out later and check.

You might make a cardboard template using the bottom bunk and attach it to the bunk ledge with tape. Then you could fold it up and down to make sure it fits correctly and make adjustments. When raised mine has about a finger's width gap between the mattress and the shell all around. When lowered, it contacts the lower bench about 4-5" out from the shell so it rests at an angle.

You know that the bunk platform is in three pieces, a large center piece and two wings on either end that fold in when lowered to fit the curvature of the shell, right?

There are some details and pictures in this thread (post #4):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-72253.html

I'll check the measurements this afternoon.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bottom cushion + Banana cushion = Top bunk cushion. Like Jon said checkout the other post for construction. A lot of single travelers remove the two bottom cushions and drop the back down and actually use the seat back as their bed. It gives them more sleeping room in the front. Then they can keep the dinette set up in the rear.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I believe it's really close. I can go out later and check.

You might make a cardboard template using the bottom bunk and attach it to the bunk ledge with tape. Then you could fold it up and down to make sure it fits correctly and make adjustments. When raised mine has about a finger's width gap between the mattress and the shell all around. When lowered, it contacts the lower bench about 4-5" out from the shell so it rests at an angle.

You know that the bunk platform is in three pieces, a large center piece and two wings on either end that fold in when lowered to fit the curvature of the shell, right?

There are some details and pictures in this thread (post #4):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-72253.html

I'll check the measurements this afternoon.
Yes I did eventually find out the bunk was in 3 pieces. The one I have in there now is a single piece with quite a bit of space at each end because it doesn't have the folding edges. My bunk actually looks exactly like the middle piece without the sides, I was thinking it would be easier just to cut new folding sides and screw those on but the piece of wood I have in there for the bunk seems oddly thick and heavy.

Thanks for your measurements, I'll make sure it's about a fingers width around and 4-5" out in front. I'll definitely be doing a cardboard template first.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

New Jersey
I forgot to ask...I can't tell from the pics but does the bunk actually rest on top of that little lip that sticks out from the shell? When my current bunk is raised up the edge of it goes up on the lip and rests on it. The hinges are regular square hinges, nothing like what's pictured in that thread.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Yes, on top of the ledge. This photo from the linked thread was taken from under the top bunk looking toward the lip, or ledge. I'm guessing it's about 3" wide at the center and tapers toward the ends. That's what carries the weight, not the hinge. I would ditch the square hinges and buy the offset hinges pictured.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Ledge.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	103007

I've often thought if you wanted to increase the weight-bearing capacity of the bunk, you could cut back a bit of the rat fur and foil insulation and epoxy 2-3 wedge-shaped buttresses under the ledge. Combined with an extra post or two, it ought to hold a small adult.

I doubt I'll have to, though, since it looks like my oldest daughter will be off to college before she gets much over 100 pounds.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Okay, I got some more measurements. Eddie is correct- the top bunk is the same as the bottom cushion plus the banana cushion, which is about 3" narrower than the fiberglass bench on the bottom. The reason is that the bottom cushions get pushed back 3" by the uprights when set up as bunks.

Here are the dimensions of the bunk platform. I had always suspected, but never confirmed, that the wing pieces are angled and the center section is actually a trapezoid, not a rectangle. Measurements are approximate within half an inch or so. Didn't want to take apart the bunk, so I had to measure from the bottom lying down under the upper bunk. They should get you in the ballpark with your template, and you can fine tune.

Name:	Bunk Platform dimensions.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	103008

One thing I had never noticed before was the top bunk doesn't overlap the support ledge fully in the center. The top edge of the backrest/upper bunk is straight, but the front shell is curved, so there is actually a pretty good gap in the middle, which you can see in this photo, taken from above the upper bunk toward the window and support ledge.

Name:	Front Bunk Detail.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	103009
If I were building from scratch I think I'd round the top a little more so that more of the bunk rests on the ledge. I'm guessing they kept it at 24" all across to save plywood.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

New Jersey
Awesome! Thanks for the drawing, that will come in real handy if I decide to start completely from scratch. I did double check and the top piece I have in there now isn't square so it's possible that it may be the original piece with the sides detached for whatever reason.

In that case since I don't have a good saw it may be better for me to just create a template and cut out only new sides to screw into the wood I already have.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

New Jersey
I uploaded a pic of what my top bunk looks like now. Do you guys think I can work with this by just attaching hinged sides?

It's weird that it would be cut at an angle like that instead of just making it square with bigger hinged sides to fit the curve of the shell.
Attached Thumbnails
20170217_203809.jpg  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
All I know is it works very well as designed. Scamp, and Boler before them, have had a long time to get it right. I'm guessing the angle is there to better accommodate the curve of the front shell when lowered. The hinged wings are unsupported and cannot bear much weight, so the smaller the better.

As to using the piece you've got... If it's 3/4" material, if the dimensions are close to the ones I posted, and if it's in good condition, you should be able to work with it.

What is it, though? Doesn't look like plywood, or perhaps it has carpet or something else on top?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

New Jersey
It's a thin rubber mat glued to the wood. The previous owner had that laid down in the camper as flooring and I guess thought it looked nice as bedding, lol.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Some people just use the upper bunk for storage, so that makes sense. Can you remove it without destroying the wood?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #13

New Jersey
I'm not sure, I think I tried once and it seemed glued down enough that if I ripped it up some would might come up with it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
I guess if it's clean you could leave it. If you have some left from the floor, you could glue it to the wings for a uniform thickness. If it's really thin, it probably won't matter. Your call.

What are you going to cover this with when you're done? A little bit of extra thickness may or not fit with the original cover or a factory replacement.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #15

New Jersey
When we restored it we weren't sure how the factory did it so we just had a friend make a cushion that sits on top of it. Obviously we made it so it extends to the shell of the camper but if one day when my son is bigger and goes up there, the mattress will give at the sides so I'm only getting to this now as no one will use that for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
20160613_112639.jpg  

Tags
scamp