Failure of Axle Brackets on Scamp 5W Trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I think these failures are way out on the axle bracket, where they won't affect the tube and rubber, but trying to replace the bracket would likely be a problem.
The crack along the longitudinal centreline of the top - through the mounting holes - is indeed far from the tube. The subsequent tearing damage shown in some of the photos is not.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of welding the cracks -- Typically, the heat of welding will create a parallel zone to the weld where a new crack or set of cracks can form...

Were it my axle, I would NOT accept a cure that wasn't specifically blessed by the axle manufacturer, especially since it appears the improper axle bracket orientation was installed by Scamp.
I agree strongly with both of these comments.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
I have great news! I just got off the phone with Kent Eveland at Scamp and he is shipping me a new axle to the facility of my choice in Houston.

I now can not say enough good things about Scamp and their trailers. I highly praise the actions that they have taken to take care of my problems. It seems they went far beyond the call of duty to make things right in my situation. As many of you may know the pictures of my broken axle brackets have been the worst to date and I am so happy
now!!!! If any of you had any doubts about Scamp and their commitment to customer satisfaction and their will to stand behind their product this incident should be a great testimony.

Blair
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #23

I'm glad to hear Scamp has appropriately taken care of at least one customer. Now I hope they handle the problem for everyone, not just those who already have serious damage and have aggressively pursued it.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20, but I still have to wonder why trailers were built for so long with such an obviously incorrect design feature.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #24

Unhappy

Contrary to your belief, I never aggressively persued Scamp to fix my Axle. I never threatened or had any derogotory words. It took 1 phone call to Kent Eveland and an email. He returned my email with the great news. Hats off to Mr. Scamp!!!!!!!!

Blair
Old 10-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #25

By "aggressively" I didn't mean to suggest anything negative - sorry if I was not clear.

The Scampers discussion is extensive and describes multiple contacts with Scamp, in which there was initially no acknowledgment of the mounting error. Several rounds of back-and-forth with photo documentation is pretty aggressively pursuing remediation; I'm glad that Blair's contact with Scamp only required one call and e-mail message ... plus the photos.

It's pretty common that the first customers of any company to report a problem have to work to get a resolution; however, once the problem and a solution are identified, subsequent customers should need to do very little. In a safety issue like this, I think the manufacturer should volunteer a solution even to customers who don't know about the problem yet. Hopefully, that will happen, as not every Scamp owner reads these forums.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of the Yahoo Scampers has taken the lead on this and is preparing a PDF describing the problem, including photos, and how to inspect your Scamp. It apparently affects Scamp 16' and 19' made from 2002 to 2007 with the bracket reversed and too wide. So far, it appears only the heavier models actually show strain or breakage. Don't know yet what Scamp will do in the long run to fix this.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #27

Here's the PDF link by Kamper Bob:

Scamp Axle Alert
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'd like to add my nickel's worth to this forum.

I have an 07 5th wheel, and put about 25,000 kms (16000 mi), and just recently was directed to your site. Many thanks for it's existance since I checked, and the axel brackets on both sides are cracked.

The cracks in the brackets appear to be a failure on somebody's part to match the mounting bracket to the frame. The mounting brackets are about two inches too wide for the frame dimensions. This means that the weight of the trailer is not directly above the main structure of the bracket/axel. It puts tremendous stress on the one inch of bracket which is outside the frame of the trailer, and the bracket cracks.

Seems to me to be two possible causes:

1) Scamp did not order axels with the correct specifications.
2) Al Ko did not supply the axels as ordered.

It also seems to me that someone at Scamp should have realized that the brackets did not mate properly with the frame. Somewhere in the mix is an engineer/designer error.

I was in touch with Kent a few days ago, and he told me that he has been looking at the problem, and will be in touch with Al Ko. I imagine a fix will be determined.

I am attampting to add a sketch I made of the axel and bracket on my trailer, along with a couple of possible fixes. Hope it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img054.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	10731

Again, thanks for the Forum, and the opportunity to respond.

Chuck
Chuck Szuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Chuck---Welcome to this forum. Hope your axel bracket delema is addressed.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #30

Hello all,

Am feeling like a bit of a dummy - didn't find the second page of the forum, and so didn't know that what I posted was probably redundent. Oh, well....

Chuck
Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hello all,

Am feeling like a bit of a dummy - didn't find the second page of the forum, and so didn't know that what I posted was probably redundent. Oh, well....

Chuck
Don't worry about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #32

Chuck, thanks for your contribution.

Even though the basic problem has already been described, I think Chuck's summary is good, and his proposed brace between the Al-Ko bracket and the frame is a more effective work-around than those previously proposed, because it more directly transfers the load from the side of the bracket which is supposed to be supported, to the frame. The brace around the axle tube itself should then be unnecessary.

By the way, I've done the "miss the second page" thing myself... more than once!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #33

Chuck, rather than send you a private message, I'll post this in case there are lurkers out there who might find the info useful. I strongly recommend that you join the Yahoo Scampers Group so you have access to the latest info on this because a number of them are working with Kent on this problem.

Unfortunately, one must have a Yahoo account to access the group, even to read it. Fortunately, Yahoo is free.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/

Besides the 5W problem, there's a lot of both Scamp-specific and general information and discussion on the group, plus there are Files and Links info available. The group got so big, in terms of photos and modifications (and bracket failure and fixes photos) that there are two expansion groups which also must be joined in order to see the photos stored there. I recommend it to any Scamp owner and even to non-owners, who are welcome.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #34

I think this design looks great, but the only thing I would warn is you should not get the axle too hot when connecting the possible brace from the bottom of the ear to the base of the shoulder because you may damage the rubber torsion part of the axle. You may melt some rubber inside!

Blair
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #35

Hi all,

I have had a communication from Kent Evelund, and he suggests a piece of tubing at least two inches longer than the axel bracket, welded between the bracket and the frame. In my case, it'll be against the spacer. He suggests that the possible brace from the bottom of the bracket to the ear might pull or twist the bracket, or at least stress it, and cause changes in the alignment.

I suggest that those with the problem get an estimate for repair using those guidelines, add the serial number of the trailer (his requirement for tracking purposes), and contact him.

Have to add that his response was timely, and is very much appreciated by me. I'll now be able to head south at the end of December, and get out of the Alberta cold for most of the winter.

Thanks to all who have posted ideas and problems on this site, and on the Yahoo site.

Enjoy!!

Chuck
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #36

Quote:
I have had a communication from Kent Evelund, and he suggests a piece of tubing at least two inches longer than the axel bracket, welded between the bracket and the frame. In my case, it'll be against the spacer.
This has been suggested before, and I have difficulty understanding why this would be a better solution. In this case, the (square) tubing would not carry load in the intended way (bending, or in torsion) but instead the tubing would need to resist folding up. Imagine a cereal box with the ends opened - it has a fair amount of bending strength, but it can be easily collapsed because nothing resists that other than the resistance of the cardboard at each corner to bending; similarly, the tubing would need to resist folding at the corners. The flat angled brace which Chuck showed would carry a simple compressive load, and folding the ends of it over would reduce its tendency to buckle.

Spreading the load over more length of the frame is not required, as the frame is not what is failing here.

Quote:
He suggests that the possible brace from the bottom of the bracket to the ear might pull or twist the bracket, or at least stress it, and cause changes in the alignment.
I agree that this second brace doesn't seem suitable, both because it is unnecessary if the load is properly carried from the bracket to the frame, and because the welding right on tube containing the rubber seems bad for the rubber... and I suppose there might be some distortion issue as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #37

Brian, I understand your concern, and think your physics is correct, but I also am pretty sure that if the tubing used is thick walled, then it'll do the job, just because there will be sufficient mass there to resist the collapse you describe. I intend to talk to my welder/designer when I get him to quote, and will get his input. If necessary, I'll get in touch with Kent again, before the job is done.

Thanks for you input,

Chuck
Old 11-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Brian, I understand your concern, and think your physics is correct, but I also am pretty sure that if the tubing used is thick walled, then it'll do the job, just because there will be sufficient mass there to resist the collapse you describe...
I'm sure it will work... it's just a waste of material and it makes me wonder if the people recommending it really understand the problem. If I were to have this done on a trailer with the spacer, I would consider choosing rectangular box tubing the width of the bracket overhang and high enough to reach up to partway up the actual frame tube, rather than just the spacer... might as well get some benefit from the thing.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #39

Hello all,

I have just had my designer/welder over to look at the axel. He suggests just what Kent Eveland did - weld in a 12" length of 1X1 heavy wall tubing and go home. He says he'll weld in the ends as well. It seems like the simplest and least expensive solution. The KISS principal.

The cost is likely to be less than $200, so will simply have it done, and send the bill to Scamp. I was lucky that there was no distortion around the crack - due to this forum - so no additional work will have to be done before the reinforcement.

Chuck
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #40

I picked up my trailer yesterday with a new axle that Scamp supplied
and paid for the installation. Once again I want to praise Kent at
Scamp for taking care of my axle problems.

Blair

Tags
axle, scamp