Amerigo rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
hey Tom, wow they have some great prices!!!
Yea, I bought a set of Dexter brakes there for less than Chinese brakes elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #22

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
new brakes and now updated wheels

Thanks to Tom and Jared I shopped on Ebay and got two new Dexter backing plates and drums that I can use standard wheels with. No more star wheels! The price was 169.99 and free shipping! So now I have all new stopping power.

One thing I have been wonder is if I should move my axle to get more ground clearance? It would help with maybe the gray tank could mounted under the floor then. Looking for opinions on that.

Thanks
Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sam, how is the axle attached to the frame? If you can unbolt it, you can add a spacer between the frame and the axle. Something like this: Dexter Torflex #10 Torsion Axle Lift Kit or even just welding a chunk of square tubing to the frame and bolting the axle to the tubing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #24

Tennessee
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture3765.jpg

Hey Donna,

here is an early picture of the spring and back of the old hub. I can move the axle on the bottom side of the spring. It is on the top right now. One of my questions would this make my trailer ride different or top heavy, etc.

Hope this helps.
Sam
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sam, can't help... sorry... I've running a torsion axle. But it's "up in the air" and I haven't noticed any top heavy stuff happening with my trailer. I like the way it tows. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I doubt it will change it enough to matter, but it will be quite high with that drop axle. Do you need/want it 10" higher? You might be better off with a new straight axle mounted under the springs. One thing to watch for, is if your axle is cambered. It's pretty unlikely, but worth checking. Some are bent up in the center so they straighten out with load. If so, and you flip them without welding new spring mounts on, it ends up bowed down in the middle, and will kill your tires.

Mine is raised about 12", but I went from little 155/80-13 (iirc) tires to 225/75-15.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #27

Tennessee
Frame painted

Got new brakes on, the weather warmed up enough and I have painted the frame! Today put the body back on the frame and moved in to the garage to start working on the next step..... there are a lot of items that need to be done first, LOL. Just have to figure out which one. Moving slowly but on track.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0603-1.JPG   IMG_0606-2.JPG  

IMG_0607-3.JPG  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Amerigo 16 Wiring Diagram? Anyone?

We just purchased a 1971 Amerigo 16 and are actively restoring it. It appears the previous owner(s) elected to do some creative rewiring to bypass localized problems and so we've come to the venerable head-scratching phase.

Does anyone here have a copy of the original owners manual with a wiring diagram in it?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

- Tony
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Unless you are into super originality, I suggest scrapping the original wiring.
I have worked on a number of FGRV's built by the same companies that built the Amerigo, and what few diagrams they ever provided were "suggestive" at best anyway.

Between p.o. replaced wires, 40 y.o. connections, possible rodent damage and AC & DC circuits you want to add, it may well be simpler and more reliable to start from scratch.

As always, I suggest, and use, the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power center for an up-to-date system. These are now available for less than $160.00 on-line.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #30

Tennessee
The owners manual if there was one, will show nothing but sales talk on the camper. Your on your own and what ever you do will be better that factory

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
We just purchased a 1971 Amerigo 16 and are actively restoring it. It appears the previous owner(s) elected to do some creative rewiring to bypass localized problems and so we've come to the venerable head-scratching phase.

Does anyone here have a copy of the original owners manual with a wiring diagram in it?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

- Tony
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #31

Registry
Thanks Bob! I've taken your suggestion to heart and bought the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 Power Center. The instructions look straight forward and so it makes sense to do it right.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #32

Registry
Thanks Sam; I'm not surprised.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like a good plan.... let us know how your job progresses.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I figure it was time to start a thread on my rebuild.
So here is the start! Trailer body up in the air and the trailer frame on the ground. I have been steel brushing the frame getting it ready for the paint.
Good time to pack the bearings and wire up the brakes, install some wire hangers on the frame for the trailer. I also have a list of things and ideas I may or may not use. I can post all of that if your interested and I can use the input for more idea's.

Sam
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping you're still around, Sam!
I just bought an Amerigo myself (going to get it tomorrow) and your pics have been most helpful, especially those showing the body off the frame. My "new" trailer is still sitting in some tall grass where it was when I stumbled over it, and even accounting for the grass it looked really low to the ground. I was concerned about the suspension until now. I couldn't really see under it very well due to its situation, and since the tongue contour is very much if not exactly like my (taller) Trillium's I was having second thoughts as to its towability. NOW I think I can see how they lowered the overall trailer height: it looks like the axle is essentially swallowed by the floor- is that right? That combined with the stepped-up rear frame portion leads me to believe that as a practical matter overall clearances will be very similar to those on my Trillium. WHEW!

One question for you, hoping you see this in time (if at all); can you tell me what the coupler/ball height is for towing? I'm not sure which stinger/ball mount to bring along for the tow home tomorrow, though after looking at these pics I'm almost sure that the one I'm using for the Trillium will work. Still, a measurement from someone that actually owns an Amerigo would be nice.

Thanks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #35

Tennessee
I sold the trailer, because I got a 34' rv, I am afraid to say either 1 7/8 or a 2" sorry I am not any more help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
amerigo