1984 fiber stream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1984
I am in the process of fixing up an old Fiber Stream but I am not familiar with the going ons of it. This ceiling has some water damage and I would like to replace it but I am not sure what I need to replace it with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
dlnstidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Fred.. you aren't paying attention!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Fred.. you aren't paying attention!
That's because I don't have a "ceiling." Either Benita, or RjordanX2 would be more qualified.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
If by ceiling you mean paneling overhead, I have that. Since mine hasn't shown any signs of leakage I've never investigated beyond removing the vinyl headliner that covers the paneling and then wallpapering the paneling.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1984
Overhead paneling. That's it. That is what I need to replace.
dlnstidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #6

Well. I'd guess that you could measure and cut standard lengths of lightwieght paneling as needed and reattach where the original comes down. My trailer isn't nearby for me to check but I think that you may be able to use the windows as braces to support the fit. The problem maybe that paneling isn't as popular as it once was and the choices of weight, size and texture may be more limited now than when the trailer was built.

Someone here said that there is such a thing as RV paneling which I was told is what is in Fiber Stream. This might be worth checking out. I'm planning to redo my ceiling (fresh wallpaper) within the next couple of weeks. If I find out anything interesting I'll let you know.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #7

I think if I had to start from scratch, I'd use colored cork tiles on the ceiling. Although the original paneling does offer some insulation and serves as a moisture barrier, I think its primarily decorative. Cork serves the same purposes admirably. Plus them being affixed via adhesives eliminates having to consider nailing or poking holes into the fiberglass.

Globus patterned and colored cork tiles
Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I don't have a "ceiling."
My 1978 Fiber Stream never had interior paneling, except on the partition walls, and the cabinetry. The inside of my shell is just paint on the fiberglass. A very simple treatment, however, I do get some condensation when heating the inside in cold weather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0054.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	3749

If you [b]L K closely at the top of the refrigerator cabinet, you'll notice the panel there is a different color than the rest. That is because the original rotted from a leak caused when the 3 screws that attach the top of the cabinet to the roof (from the outside) loosened and rusted. I suggest that you climb onto your roof to discover the source of your water damage.

Tags
fiber stream