Burro Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Burro Questions

Hi all,

New '82 Burro owner and have a few things I'm trying to get worked out. First, when I plug the trailer into conventional 110v there is a loud buzzing noise coming from what I would assume to be a converter box of some sort. If I turn anything electrical on, say a light switch, the noise from the box disappears but sometimes comes back when I turn the light switch off?! Also, it seems like 99% of the electrical functions work when plugged into 110v but only half or so when on the battery, any explanations?

Second, I need to know the starting instructions for the platinum Cat, it appears to be getting gas and electricity I just don't know the starting sequence.

Thanks in advance for any help
jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Colorado
Anybody??
jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Bambi
Burro Questions

jvwoods,

Just saw this and I'll see if I can help a bit. Would be best for those who may see this if you could post a couple pictures and I'm sure that the "resident experts" will chime in.
I have an 82 Burro and don't pretend to be able to diagnose your trouble especially without seeing what you're referring to but I'll comment on what I can for you.

Mine has no converter, installing one soon, but they all pretty much work the same way in that they convert 120v to 12 volts. I know people who have older trailers and they say the older single stage converters make a buzzing sound. I have another trailer and it has a modern one so no help on why it buzzes. Most of them change the buzzers out for a new modern 3 stage.

As for stuff not working when you unplug from shore power, only the things that operate on 12 volts, from the battery, will work when you unplug. Interior lights, water pump if you have one, roof vent fans,etc, stuff like that. You may be able to follow the wiring from the converter to determine which is 120 volts and which is 12 volt.

The cat starting sequence, I don't know but found this link and there is a service tab that may help. There is contact info listed also so you could probably get the info straight from them. http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

Good luck with it all. The Burros are great little trailers!! jd
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: Rick
Massachusetts
Hi Jeff,

I too have a Burro and have done extensive updating.

The typical electrical configuration, and I say "typical" because the interior of the Burro was often a kit that the original owner installed and this provided options.

There were no converters in the Burros. The shore power (120VAC) only powered a single fluorescent light and a power outlet and the optional 3 way Dometic 211 fridge. The light fixtures on either end of the kitchen cabinet are 12VDC as is the Cat heater. There never was a factory option for a water pump, only a hand pump/fawcett. There was no original fan. Some owners when putting together their interior kit put a battery into the unvented compartment under the bunk (dangerous), and others made room for it on the tongue.
This is the extent of the factory supplied electrical system.

If you have a buzzing sound when connecting to AC power then someone may have installed a converter or a simple charger. Look for this in the forward driver side compartment. This is the typical place to install such.

The good thing is that all the wiring in the Burro is exposed and easy to get at and do updates.

The CAT heater has a gas line running from a T under the stove and uses 12V power coming around the back with black and white wires. I removed my heater out of fear of using it in such a small space, and the need for more storage. We now have a door over that space which is now a cabinet. If you are determined to get the heater to work, go to the mfg web site as they still have lots of info about the heater. It might even still be a current product, or at least it has not changed much.

The document center here might have the owner's manual for this heater. If not and you need it, get back to me as I have the original manual which came with my Burro.

Good luck,
Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro