Broken or flipped axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Name: Autumn
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Question Broken or flipped axle?

hi everyone, this is my first post on a forum ever! I am a new owner of a 1969 boler but I'm writing on behalf of my mom who owns a triple e trailer. While towing it out to camp somehow it looks like the axle flipped around and the tires almost wore right through the back of the wheel well. I'm told the trailer has torsion bars but that doesn't mean much to us. We tried pulled the axle forward manually with no luck. Does anyone know what we could try? We would appreciate any help! The trailer is in the middle of the bush 3 hours from town so we are really trying to avoid tow truck costs. Thank you for any help!
boler1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Autumn, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people on the forums and I'm better one or two or bunches will be along shortly to answer your question.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Autumn.
Others will be along with some advice. I haven't a clue.
But I'm thinking a pic or two might be helpful.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Ontario
Yes, I agree. That's a big regret of ours. As soon as someone gets out to the bush (my mom doesn't drive.. For some reason she needs a trailer..) we will take pictures. The other information I have is its a 1980 or 1984 14" trailer. Thank you for the response!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
But I'm thinking a pic or two might be helpful.
Agreed.
2 possible suggestions to get you home. Smaller tires with the same bolt pattern might give you the clearance you need. (Be cognizant of interference with brake drums if present.) A
flatbed or car trailer to piggyback the trailer on.

Maybe even just get the little wheel dollies the tow trucks use and tow the trailer home. I have no idea where you could get those or the legalities of towing with them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Name: Darren
Ontario
Hello Autumn. You sound like a very nice daughter to be investigating this issue for your mother.

I am also dealing with a similiar issue and will follow this thread with much interest. Does anyone know if something has broken inside the axle to cause this? Or is something just worn out?
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: Darren
Ontario
Just to reiterate, I am dealing with a torsion beam suspension. Autumn I think you have a similiar suspension on your Triple E.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were me stuck in this situation I would go to the nearest town and find a trailer repair place that can weld in a new axle. Dont tell them where the trailer is but ask how much it will cost to replace the axle. If the replacement is within your means then dump the problem with the location issue in their lap. These people all have connections and at least if you have to have it towed you are towing only once from pick-up to drop off.
Trailer places have trailers maybe you can work something out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
I am dealing with a torsion beam suspension.
Can you post pictures of yours Darren? It might help this discussion.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

Ontario
Wow thanks everyone for all the help! We are going to look into this smaller tire idea... I just talked to my mom and she has a friend going out this weekend to look at it. When I hear any new info I will post for others to know. I'm pretty sure it also has a torsion beam suspension but I have no clue if that's what is broken. I appreciate all the advice!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Autumn
Did the tires on boths sides flip the same or just one side ?
Where abouts in Ontario are you located?.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Isn't the torsion beam suspension the kind that have an adjustable arm? Maybe the spindle can be pulled off and put on at a different angle. I'm thinking out LOUD here....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #13

Donna,
I've seen a few that use a coil spring wound around the axle as the torsion component. I'm wondering if that is what they are referring to?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

Ontario
Hi RRJR, yes, both tires are worn. To be honest, I'm not sure if one is worse than the other... I kind of wrote this prematurely in a state of panic for my mom. I'm not sure about the adjustable arm Donna but that's something I'm going to look into tomorrow for sure!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #15

Ontario
Oh btw RRJR , I'm in Thunder Bay ontario.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by boler1969 View Post
I'm not sure about the adjustable arm Donna but that's something I'm going to look into tomorrow for sure!
Okay, but we don't really know what general type of axle the trailer has, or what has happened to it. Specific brand and adjustment method are way beyond where we are in this troubleshooting. Any photos you could show us of the axle hardware - not too closeup because we need to see how it is positioned in the trailer - would help. So... take a camera, please.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I see that no one with a Triple-E has chimed in yet. Maybe if you re enter your post with the title heading somethong like "Triple Axle Problem-Help" they might see it and tell the rest of us what kind of axle they have and how it is attached.

My gut feeling is that it is a rubber bushing type axle and the entire housing came loose and rotated. If that is the case it may only need to be jacked up and the axle clamp system tightened back in place. But whooooo Knows.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle