real life mpg - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A manual transmission may be better on mpg. Certainly one advantage is the 'heated transmission fluid issue' is eliminated.

The disdvantage of the manual transmission is backing the trailer up hills where one usually slips the clutch, particularly on long uphills with a twist in them. Still our clutch is still working after 200,000 miles though on one occasion I could smell the clutch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #62

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Once we put the Tundra in "tow" we ignore it when it tells us how many miles per gallon we are getting and just pay attention to it when it tells us how many miles we can go before we run out of gas.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #63

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Pages of testimonials on an Aussie site indicate mid-20s mpg with combination of Honda CRV and 1000-1200Kg trailers--Bailey is one mentioned more than once. The "secret" is not as well-kept in furrin parts! Perhaps more evidence will surface to support the experience and expertise of our esteemed solitaries, Norm and Nate?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #64

Florida
Cyndi,

Knowing the 'number of miles to empty', is a nice statistic. We watch it as well. It's part of the number set from Ultraguage. It's particularly valuable when there are long distances between stations.

On Ultraguage you get to select what's displayed on each of 3 pages and we display that one as one of the six choices along with Instantaneous mpg.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #65

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As has been demonstrated many, many times, the old saw about "Euro" towing standards again rears it's ugly head. But, even if there was some validity to them, I don't see how comparing two 2012 versions connects with a car that's ten years and , I believe, two model generations older and about all thats the same is the "H" logo. But to each their own.....

But still, talk it over with your insurance peeps as well.
Honda Civic Car Info - Car Research - carsales.com.au

That's about the best I can find right now.
The 2012 statement was to give an idea how different tow ratings are elsewhere, because when I started thinking about towing with my car, that info was readily available on the Honda UK site.
But the link above shows the same engine, same HP, (When you calc the KWs out), LIGHTER than my car, and a tow rating of 500 kilos without brakes, or 1200 kilos with brakes. THat's 1100 lbs w/o brakes, and 2640 with brakes! THAT seems insane to even me! I see the UK Caravan club also recommends 85% of TV weight as a general rule, just like Norm/Ginny stated. Don't forget though,
Really though, at least with my car, the limiting factor is tongue weight. I'm too heavy on that, and will work on reducing it. (Like I said, 1" taller hitch ball, may start putting some stuff more in the rear of the trailer to reduce the tongue weight.)

When I talked to my insurance agent about towing a camper, he didn't ask/say anything about limitations.

Anyway, my main reason for posting was to share with others what I was getting for MPG. Didn't think I'd be in the record area! I'm hoping that it wasn't TOO much of a fluke, and will keep track of towing MPG as we continue to use our Casita.

Norm/Ginny, backing up UPHILL around bends sounds interesting! THAT takes real skill! I don't have that kind of backing skill yet, and try to avoid backing if I can. I've been surprised by how little I have to change clutch/throttle "effort" to get the setup rolling with the Casita, though.

Also Norm: You've stated you tow in 4th, doing about 3000ish RPM at the speeds you go? I know you have a gauge/indicator that tells you that should be best MPG....have you ever tried 5th for a while to verify that it's correct? Some of those calculations are based on your own inputs, right? (Engine size, etc?) Have you found the gauge to be accurate? I have a ScanGauge II I use on my Honda Insight while commuting, but didn't even consider trying it on the Civic while towing until now.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #66

Florida
Ultragauge

Nate,

The rating for tongue weight for the CRV is 100Kg, 220 lbs. I'm careful to keep it under 220, actually closer to 200. We have a single propane tank and one battery. That makes us light compared to the USA rule of thumb number of 10-15% though not the more typical lower European numbers. We also have more rearward weight than many with 6 extra after axle storage compartments, an over dinette cabinette, and a half full water tank.

We do have an anti sway bar but have towed 1,000s of miles without one and not experienced any sway, having it for the unexpected emergency.

We used to tow in 5th all the time but after I got Ultraguage it seemed we got better mpgs in 4th. It's not to say I don't drive in fifth towing, it's almost second nature for me to shift into fifth and sometimes find myself in fifth.

I find the Ultraguage to be accurate in mpg though all my posted numbers are based upon miles driven and gallons purchased. Early on I tested it and it was right on. I have not done any extended testing but will in the future.

It took us a while to get good at backing up. Still there are occasions where we get askew and I never can figure out what went wrong. In the early days we had a number of occasions where the whole campground came out to watch the show.

Safe and fun travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #67

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Interesting, thanks!
I'll have to try out the ScanGauge on the Civic next time I tow. I've used it in the past a bit on the Civic, but not a ton to be done to optimize MPG on the highway normally, so it wasn't immensely helpful there with no trailer. But I'm curious if I can figure out the RPM sweet spot for my rig, etc. (Like maybe it's best between 2800 and 3200, and should downshift to 4th to keep in there at slower speeds as opposed to 2400 in 5th or something like that.)

I noticed that, Europeans seem to talk more of 7-10% tongue weight #s? Is that what you've seen as well?

Maybe there's a conversion we missed? Does 10% in Europe = 15% here?

Seriously though, I wonder why it's so different? (Nature of our typical tow vehicles compared to those in Europe?)
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #68

Florida
Nate,

The European tongue weights seem to be more in the 7-10% range. As to our number and theirs I have never see any reasoning for either number range.

Our first little trailer was a Sunline and it really had all weight over the axle, bathroom, black tank, grey tank water tank and fridge over the axle. We try to keep the heavy stuff over or near the axle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #69

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm beginning to think that Hondas are particularly good at maintaining fuel economy while towing. Hmm, maybe I should look more closely at the Odyssey.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #70

Florida
There are plenty of people who tow with the Odyssey.

Our original reason for buying Hondas CRV was it's reliability not mpg. Both have turned out to be good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #71

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
MPG with Diesel

Am pulling my 17' Eggcamper with 2011 Chevrolet Silverado Crew cab -Diesel. Best highway, not towing, 55mph, gives me 20-22 with cruise set. Towing the egg at 60,cruise set, gives me 16-18. 16 in the North Carolina Mountains. Never seems to need to downshift, torque is over 700. Allison 6 speed trans, said to be bullet-proof. This is my first diesel. Truck is rated to tow 13,000, so it is obviously never in trailer mode. It does not even seem to know this 2,000 lb. trailer is back there.
I bought the big truck because it seemed to get the same mileage as the compact trucks, but has worlds more room in the cab, plus the full size 6.5 bed. I can carry 2 bikes, 2 - 10' kayaks, Honda 3000 gen. plus other assorted gear in the bed; and seat 4 adults very comfortably inside. This truck is definitely overkill but if I ever decide to step up my egg size, this
will tow anything currently produced without breaking a sweat. Plus it gets about the same mpg as the small trucks if not better. However, the cost of diesel fuel is more. Doing the math, slightly better mpg, more expensive fuel, it probably all works out to be the same as having a smaller truck running on regular. Finally, there is the cost difference of this size vehicle. They say I should get 300,000 miles from this engine, I'm 62, this may be my last truck. I drive a Honda Civic as a daily driver. I do however feel extremely safe when traveling with the truck and egg.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #72

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I'm beginning to think that Hondas are particularly good at maintaining fuel economy while towing. Hmm, maybe I should look more closely at the Odyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There are plenty of people who tow with the Odyssey.
Yes, lots tow with Odysseys, just as lots tow with other similar vehicles such as Siennas and Grand Caravans. I haven't noticed that the Odysseys report any better fuel economy - both Nate's Civic and Norm's CR-V are unrelated to (and smaller than) the Odyssey.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #73

Florida
Wayne, I looked up the cost of your Chevy Diesel. Yikes. Well out of my price range. Wish you well with it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #74

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pulling a 2500lbs (total weight) 16' with a Subaru Outback. On longer trips on various roads, freeway, large mountain passes and two lane side roads etc I generally average about 19 mpg (yup thats US Gallons) for the whole trip while towing - I generally travel at 65 mph on freeways and passes etc. Have had some trips of shorter duration were I have stayed off freeways and used secondary roads were speed limits were 55 mph or less & averaged 21 mpg.

The worst mpg average I have had on any trip was traveling on the west coast I5 in the winter and I only averaged 11 mpg over 3 straight 8/9 hour days of driving, due to a *big* head wind for a better part of the trip. For many miles of that trip the cars computer was saying it was getting only 7 mpg.

Lots of variables regarding what MPG's you might get when towing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #75

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We have a 2008 Honda CRV/2wd/automatic and, with very careful driving, a max towing speed of 55-60 and locking out the o/d we have barely bumped up against 19 mpg when towing either the 13' Scamp or the 13' Lil' Bigfoot. That's about a 35% hit vs day-to-day driving.

I don't believe that later U.S. market CRV's are/were available with a manual transmission

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #76

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Guess we'll have to be very careful to not run out and buy just any CRV.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #77

Florida
Unfortunately the manual transmission is no longer available in the USA.

Bob, what pressure do you inflate your CRV and trailer tires to?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #78

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
MPG with Diesel

Norm,
Thanks for the good wishes. My 27 year old special needs daughter and I are leaving Florida the middle of next week on a trip to Oregon and then down the west coast. Will be by far the longest trip yet.

I should also mention that I pull a 26' boat with my truck. So, it was not purchased just for towing the egg.
I'm encouraging my 29 year old daughter to look at the CRV. She is in the market. I plan to encourage her to install a receiver hitch. Very handy for bikes and a small trailer for moving. Glad to hear about yours giving you such good service.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #79

Florida
Have a great trip. Oregon is our favorite state. Love the coast and Crater Lake.
Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #80

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Have a great trip. Oregon is our favorite state. Love the coast and Crater Lake.
Safe travels
Hmmm. Your favorite spots are the west coast of the US, and east coast of Canada. Norm, I think you like the ocean!

Have you ever considered a boat? Lots in common with a trailer.

And to keep it on topic: Sail boats can have very good fuel economy.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy