1983 Burro makeover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: Burro
Florida
1983 Burro makeover

Starting my 1983 Burro Make Over. Planning many modifications instead of a stock makeover. First is getting things stripped down. Lets get started!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6592.jpg  
Burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Florida
As you can see the original floor was covered by previous owner with 1/2 inch plywood. this just made things worse and is a cheap way around getting the flooring right. i'll be stripping all this out and will plan a redo on all floors and fiberglass to ensure a proper fit and long lasting floor. After inspecting the frame its obvious it will not be of any use. Again, cutting corners and bolting a frame together with cheap, thin galvanized steel caused warps and the door would not close correctly. A new frame is a must. Going to find a good option for replacement frame now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9209.jpg  
Old 12-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Welcome Burro Brother.
Good luck, have fun!
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Florida
Total rot under the nice plywood. This will be a total destruction of current flooring and replace with new marine grade wood and fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9210.jpg   IMG_9211.jpg  

Old 12-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #6

Florida
Before removing the floor I made cardboard templets to be used with detailed measurements to be used to cut the new floors later. Once the frame was removed it was easy to build up a 2x4 frame to set the camper on so I could get the floor out. It took about two hours to get all the fiberglass edges cut and lightly grind down clean. The fiberglass lip looks great and cleaned up now ready for new wood. I'll do some extra prep to strengthen the lip before the wood goes in. I'll post those pics once I'm done.

Now Its on to the frame. The current frame was trash. The axle was in good shape so I'll save that for something future. I spent a lot of time looking for frame ideas but I didn't like the 3k to 5k custom job for a small camper as this. After lots of time and coffee I ran across an idea and contacted a friend that has a military salvage yard. What I found was an almost perfect fit trailer frame that will work perfect. Off to get it from the yard.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9230.jpg   IMG_9228.jpg  

Old 12-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

Florida
Here is what I'm going to use for a frame. This trailer frame is all aluminum and military grade with a 10k axle. I'll cut the existing axle off and put new off road axles on. With a few mods I'll get a great frame that will last way more than my life time. You can pick these frames up at military actions or yards for 300 to 800 dollars. They are perfect size but do needs some modifications to make them work. If you can weld or have a good welder this could be a great option for replacing that old cheap frame and save weight. I'll be specks and pics of final modifications of the frame before installing camper on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8104.jpg   IMG_8106.jpg  

Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Florida
Here is the frame in its modified form. 100% aluminum military grade frame with new axle. I'll be adding some aluminum attachment points and aluminum tubing for the wiring harness. This should help to keep wires safe and in working order for years to come. The frame rails were extended to fit the entire bottom of the floor area. The weight of the fiberglass is not supported much by stock frame. Over time this can create sage and cause things to leak or the door to move from a fitted position. The frame design will support the entire camper in extreme roading or off roading situations.

Now to get the shell back on and floors in. Clock is set for two weeks so lets see if I can get er' done.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_c60.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks, so far it has been fun. Getting all the plans of what all needs to be done seems to be the hardest part.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Florida
Thanks, I'll keep posting as I go. If there's anything specific to know about what I'm doing let me know. I hope this post helps someone with a future project
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #11

Name: Abraham
Trailer: in the market
Texas
awesome! good luck with the build!
classicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #12

Florida
Thank you!!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #13

Florida
Getting the new frame sized up and making notes for the final modifications before getting it put back together. Its looking pretty good and its going to make a very strong but light frame for the burrito. I'll do my best to get the mods completed within the next week or two. I'm excited to get the frame and camper back together so I can start the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9665.jpg   IMG_9691.jpg  

IMG_9654.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #14

Florida
Question

Has anyone played with different types of flooring i.e. aluminum, polymers, etc? I'm looking at options for a never rot or rust out floor plan. Thanks for the feed back
Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
floor

I'm thinking of a fiberglass floor on my Burro when I start the rehab this summer. A friend was a mold maker and hopefully we can make it work?
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro