Safe to mount a Casita on a flat-bed truck? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Safe to mount a Casita on a flat-bed truck?

Would a Casita suffer weird structural damage from being mounted on a flat-bed truck? I plan to eventually mount my Casita on a truck, and create an RV out of it. I assume I could take the wheels off, and have mounts welded to the bed of the truck that simulated wheels, so the Casitas axle would be mounted on the truck.

whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
You might not even need that big of a truck. Check with some of the larger van manufactures -- sometimes you can get one without a lot behind the front two seats. I have seem some truck being trucks across the country where only the cab is on them, and the frame could easily be mounted to the frame of the camper.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Have to ask: why would you want to?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Have to ask: why would you want to?
To make it easier to move around, and to carry more water for off-grid use. I currently have a pickup to pull it, and maybe I will just put a 2nd freshwater tank in the back of my truck - and just fill it when I have parked the Casita.

I like the idea of a driveable RV, but I've never seen one built as well as my Casita. So I was thinking of marrying a really good drive-train with a really good fiberglass trailer.

Another option is to get a large cargo van as my tow-vehicle, and convert the inside as a mini-RV. Then I just take the van when I was doing short travels, and use the Casita as a less mobile basecamp.

Lots of options, now that I'm use to living in 84 sqft.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Would more than likely be stronger than a trailer. Frame bolted to frame or flat bed. Go for it!
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
That would make it easier to pull a boat, too!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Florida
We are in the process of switching from a class A to an Escape 19. One of the reasons is to make us more nimble. We bought a Nissan NV 3500 passanger van to use as a tow vehicle. You could get a cargo version as well. We wanted some extra seats. Our original intent was to pull the last 2 rows of seats out and build in storage but we found just pulling the last row gave us plenty of room. IMO, this gives you a lot of flexibility. We'll be putting this to the test in April when we pick up the trailer at the factory and drive it to the East coast.
kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I assume I could take the wheels off, and have mounts welded to the bed of the truck that simulated wheels, so the Casitas axle would be mounted on the truck.
If you retain the trailer axle, you'll have to retain the hitch too. Maybe better to remove the axles and the tongue, then bolt the frame down to the bed of the truck. Then pull some leaves out of the rear springs to give a more compliant ride with the load that is then lower than what the truck was designed for. This will reduce the stress on the trailer body.

The Isuzu NPR trucks can be configured in many different wheelbases which might help you set it up. They can have beds in either 7' or 8' widths. They are also low powered and rough riding, but very reliable.

Maybe you could turn the wheel wells into cabinets with outside doors.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuit View Post
We are in the process of switching from a class A to an Escape 19. One of the reasons is to make us more nimble. We bought a Nissan NV 3500 passanger van to use as a tow vehicle. You could get a cargo version as well. We wanted some extra seats. Our original intent was to pull the last 2 rows of seats out and build in storage but we found just pulling the last row gave us plenty of room. IMO, this gives you a lot of flexibility. We'll be putting this to the test in April when we pick up the trailer at the factory and drive it to the East coast.
I like those Escapes, they look well built. I like the straight-lines, easier to skirt than my Casita. I had also considered a Nissan, I like their boxy look too, lol.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
If you retain the trailer axle, you'll have to retain the hitch too. Maybe better to remove the axles and the tongue, then bolt the frame down to the bed of the truck. Then pull some leaves out of the rear springs to give a more compliant ride with the load that is then lower than what the truck was designed for. This will reduce the stress on the trailer body.

The Isuzu NPR trucks can be configured in many different wheelbases which might help you set it up. They can have beds in either 7' or 8' widths. They are also low powered and rough riding, but very reliable.

Maybe you could turn the wheel wells into cabinets with outside doors.
I like those Isuzu NPRs, they look perfect. There are also used military vehicles, but I know much about them. They seem to cost $4k-$8k. I'm sure the parts are not cheap.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most people that do this are looking for an extreme backcountry rig. It will be noisy, cumbersome, and fuel-hungry on the highway. If that's what you want, then fine.

If not, then a van plus towable seems like a better option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #12

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' 2012
Washington
I think a van to tow the Casita is a better idea, but if you were to mount the Casita to a flat bed, I would remove the axle and suspension from the Casita, and secure the frame of the Casita to the truck bed.
Firetruck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck41 View Post
I think a van to tow the Casita is a better idea, but if you were to mount the Casita to a flat bed, I would remove the axle and suspension from the Casita, and secure the frame of the Casita to the truck bed.
Or remove the frame and mount the trailer body to a home built frame mounted to a the truck. It wouldn't take much. Heck, I think you could even use wood. That way you can put your original frame in storage for reuse in case you later change your mind.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
A tow van might be simplest. There are several good choices in Ford, Dodge, Nissan, & Sprinter. I know that Sprinter offers cab only enclosed cab versions, and open-back cab versions, used in walk-through RVs. You just might find a deal on a used one that would ride and provide better mpg than an Isuzu mid-size.
Come to think of it, pick up beds are often removed to make utility truck cabinets. A Casita might fit well on a long bed chassis. Or not.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita