Parkliner or Eggcamper? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #61

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
The Egg Camper has a 12V frig though doesn't it? Really, any campground we're in could have power or not, no big deal. We camped in tents for 40 years, and are prepared to camp without power. We have a number of propane camp accessories and can get by fine as long as we have a frig. Heck, we have great coolers, don't even really need a frig. I don't think it's so much where you camp, as how flexible you are as a camper. We've been camping a long time, and just got our first trailer two years ago. It's mostly the bed we're concerned about!

Frank
Excellent point. Electricity or not, it would be a large step up from a tent!
BTW, the refrigerator and water pump will work for a couple of days on just the battery power, especially if you replace the inside lights with LEDs. The refrigerator is small, so we usually bring along a large ice chest in addition anyway.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #62

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
It might be time to close this discussion, or at least to get back on subject. It seems to have turned mainly into attacking the other brands of trailers - myself included in the offenders.
Quote:
Well, windows are an important part of the discussion, so don't close it just because of that.
Ray, like Frank alluded to, how others perceive windows is quite relevant to the thread. Any, and all, factors when comparing these two manufacturers is good to know, and the reason for the post in the first place.

I don't think it is a matter of attacking other brands, I think it is a matter of preference, and of course most people do want to back up their choice and purchase, that is human nature.

As long as it does not get down to outright bashing a manufacturer, or worse yet another member, for their choices, comparisons are quite welcome.

As mentioned by a few here, and other threads over the years, everyone's desires and expectations are different, and it is nice to have options from various manufacturers to choose from.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #63

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned by a few here, and other threads over the years, everyone's desires and expectations are different, and it is nice to have options from various manufacturers to choose from.
Well put Jim. What I particularly like are comments from folks who have had any number of eggs and like them all because they're eggs. How can a potential egg owner go wrong with advice like that? It makes me feel better about whatever egg the boss, er, wife, decides on!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #64

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well so far, 2 state parks in NJ that I have camped in seem ok with the generator...passed other campers running them. I try to pick a spot to drop the trailer and set the generator up where there is no one but forest behind it so it helps when faceing the exhaust in that direction.

Someone told me they added a section of pipe with an elbow on it and a rain cap at the top and slid it over their exhaust on their honda 2000 and ran the pipe up to the top of their trailer and it seemed to run a little quieter. Ive seen some mods for construction generators adding a small car muffler and helped quiet it down some.

I might try the pipe since its a small investment and if it lowers it a few decibels then makes it less detectable. Another option is a vented enclosure to help muffle the sound. Just to say before the haters come out and start up alot of folks here do not like generators. I prefer to not have to run mine... but if absolutley necesary I will.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #65

New York
None of the state campgrounds in the Adirondack Park here in NY have power for camp sites of any kind. They have hours you can run, and I do not believe they spec decibels. For all the tent camping we've done in the Adirondacks over the years, folks running generators have never bothered me. Maybe I just got used to it over time, I don't know. If I had one, all I can say is I would be very conscious of it, it's noise, and proximity to other folks. Sounds kinda like you Deryk!

Frank
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #66

New Jersey
Registry
But whichever egg you order, I would insist on the maxxair rooftop fan, the deluxe model vs the fantastic fan since without adding some form of hood over it(which for me, I dont like the look of it since I dont have the rooftop ac unit and prefer just the nice lines) so you can run it even if its raining outside yet closes and is about the same size as the fantastic fan closed.
Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan

The other suggestion would be jalousy windows vs sliders so that you can have the windows open while its raining.
Airxcel | Maxxair | Window/Maxx

I get slightly claustrophobic with no air flow moving around. Im all about good ventilation!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #67

New Jersey
Registry
heh Frank, I had a friend complaining to me while camping back in early june that the sound of the 17yr cicadas was driving him crazy... can't satisfy everyone...but I try to be as respectful as possible.

A campground Im planning to go to in august up in the pocono's is ok with the quiet generators at night. Now I check since if its going to be ungodly hot and humid I dont mind roughing it during the day but at night I want some comfort to get a good nights sleep!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #68

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
The other suggestion would be jalousy windows vs sliders so that you can have the windows open while its raining.
Airxcel | Maxxair | Window/Maxx

I get slightly claustrophobic with no air flow moving around. I'm all about good ventilation!
Jalousie windows seem to be a vanishing breed. It's one of the things I don't like about some trailer that have sideways sliding windows. Not for me! Our 30 year old stickie has jalousie windows that still all work great!

Frank
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #69

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frank
We had the same trailer and also loved the jalousie windows on four sides. Absolutely the best layout of all my small trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #70

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
We just returned from a very enjoyable 22 days of camping at unserviced Provincial and National Parks. Most of these parks have restrictions on times of day when generators may be used. Without propane appliances, it would have been very difficult to have done our trip. In fact, with gas BBQ, fire bowl, fridge, stove, water heater, and furnace all running off of propane, we went through three 20 lb propane tanks during this trip. If I was purchasing again, I could not even consider a trailer without propane.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #71

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:

Jalousie windows seem to be a vanishing breed. It's one of the things I don't like about some trailer that have sideways sliding windows. Not for me! Our 30 year old stickie has jalousie windows that still all work great!

Frank
Jalousie windows are being phased out because of EPA requirements and because usability problems. They never seal 100% from both air and water. I have been told that and read elsewhere that building code (at least in Florida) is phasing them out because the temperature leakage.

They still make windows that tilt up but the ones I have seen are single pane. And the windows them selves are not very large. Maybe has to do with the model and where it was installed.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #72

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Here is some thoughts on the topic brought up from my use of the EggCamper.

I have thought about adding a large window on the rear wall but then that is where the bed is and we take the trade off for privacy. The front wall is the bathroom (or closet if you don't order it) so I don't think I want a window there.

I like the sliders instead of Jalousie because if something happens I can pop the screen out and exit through the window. And the screen keeps light to moderate rain out. If it is raining hard enough (or blowing too much) for rain to be a problem I would have them shut anyway.

After reading peoples' comments and my own experience I would take a 12v compressor fridge every time. Now the furnace and water heater I would like gas option, but the electric does for right now. The stove I am still undecided on - to trade the occasional use with the cost, weight, and perceived mess (the wife insists the messes are all my fault). We have an oven/stove that we can put outside for when we do cook.

Nothing but a hook up or generator is going to power up an AC for normal use. Several people have good luck using Buddy heaters. A Coleman stove makes for easy cooking and keeps mess and smell outside. And many people take a serious shower in an egg? I have heard many sponge bath ideas floated. My dad stays at campgrounds with shower/toilets for convenience sake. For small jobs water heated on the stove will work.

Just throwing some ideas around. Your comfort level (like home to roughing it) will help you decide what works for you.

Jason.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #73

New York
We have camped for 40 years with coolers and gas stoves. Our kindles have lights built into them. We need a comfortable bed. A/C is nice, no question about it, but I doubt for my wife's sake we'll be camping when it's so cold our good sleeping bags won't keep us warm! I still tend toward the ParkLiner anyways just because it has a queen size bed.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #74

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too am not a fan of those Jalousie style windows, though I do recognize that many people are. I only had them in one old trailer. The look with the horizontal bands through them I find too look busier, and they block a clear view too. The ones I had just never seemed to operate smoothly, or seal very well as they have way more edge length to seal.

It is often mentioned that they are better for venting in the rain, and I can see this, but I have never had an issue with cracking a couple sliders on the leeward side of the trailer, and combined with the Max Fan, can replace the air in the trailer in no time.

What would be best would be an awning style single window, but they would not be as good to leave cracked while traveling if you wanted. I kinda wonder why we don`t see more of this style.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #75

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

On the Jalousie widow topic... : )

The Jalousie windows were one of the selling points to getting our full time 38ft Mobile Suite & the Parkliner we take on adventures.

Our Mobile Suite has 3 - 3/4" thick walls and Herr double pane Jalousie windows set in solid wood frames on all sides except nose. We love them! Never any issues with rain getting inside when open or closed even in driving rain on the windward side.

On Parkliner #35 we have single pane Herr Jalousie windows and have made double pane out of lexan on the upper part of each window. We actually ruled out several makes of trailers right away simply because they had sliders... our Pacific Northwest year-round camping typically includes rain even in the summer months... so Jalousie, or at least some sort of workaround such as the MaxxAir slider-add-on covers, are a must if one wants to stay comfy inside with nice circulation.

ALSO... IF you order a new trailer... no matter the brand, ask if they will install a MaxxAir MaxxFan 5100K ! great fan/vent rain or shine.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, parkliner