1982 Fiber Stream Rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I've put all my shots of the reconditioning on webshots.com. Try the link below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551123968ABqdPX

I've gone this route because it allows full size pictures.

for those who are WWII aviation buffs, try my Air Museum pages.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jednastka

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

WOW! I can only aspire to your abilities.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #3

Registry
I've finally installed the new baggage door! Next is the sink revamp, followed by the new flooring.

Others may be interested in the simple but elegant hold open device I came up with for the door. See the ablum above.

Victor
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #4

Registry
The webshots.com album abovr is up-to-date now. The sink upgrade complete with cutting boards is done. Slightly oversize maple cutting boards were purchased at a clearance shop. The trimmed edges became the supports underneath the cutting boards. I treat my cutting boards with heated mineral oil. Keeps them in grerat shape. I also installed a stove top cover for the cook top. And then I moved on to the flooring. The main floor is installed as a single piece. I am currently holding edges down with stapled wood lath. This will be replaced with cut aluminum trim tomorrow.

Next big job is to reinstall all the under bunk appliances and the battery. Then build the new bunks.

Victor
Old 06-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Very nice, Victor. Very, very nice.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Others may be interested in the simple but elegant hold open device I came up with for the door.
I like it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
You've accomplished quite a bit Victor! Nice work!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream / Mazda B4000 pickup
Victor!
I'm just finishing painting my Fiber Stream's exterior, had to before the acid rain ate her hull out. I left the stripes on, I've heard the builder is still out there in his own RV (not a FS), and can identify when they were made by the stripes. She looks great! Mine's older, a '76, I think. I've painted the cabinets inside and given her a new floor, cushions, awning and screen room... and about a million other fussy things that seem endless, but nothing like what you have done. How did you get the alumininum so shiney? I've tried steel wool, solvents, buffing paste. I'd love to get some of those little hoods to go over the windows, too.b Will post a photo or two soon, like I promised I would last year.

Robin
(never to be parted from her FS: "LuLu"
Robin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #9

Registry
Robin;

The drip caps are available through any RV dealer. See this link.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...567&pageNum=236

Iv'e done nothing special to the aluminum yet, but I usually just use dish detergent a yellow and green foam pot scrubber and elbow grease.

Victor
Old 07-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #10

Registry
Next major reno photos posted on webshots.com. All appliances set up and in proper working order. Installed a fantastic vent fan c/w MaxxAir vent cover and an auxilliary refrigersator fan. When I opened that top refrigerator vent, there was a 3/4 inch sag in the cabinet floor above the fridge, allowing combustion products to enter the trailer. Repaired it with a 21.5" piano hinge, and then fiberglassed the vent structure.

I am now moving inside to do the benches and table.

Victore
Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream / Mazda B4000 pickup
Thanks for the quick reply Victor, mayber your aluminum is just better stuff than my older windows. The window hoods are a great idea, but I don't want to pierce the hull, are yours screwed in? I would love one for the front window, over the hitch. Wow, I'll have to check into that venting thing over the fridge, my cabinets are saggin and baggin for sure. I figure the dry rot makes her lighter. Eventually, that will all have to be replaced, but not this year! Here are before and after shots of the exterior paint jobby. I'm adding a pic of Lulu when she had to go to the doctor, just because it's so cute. Took the pics with my smartphone, so the quality is bad. Hope this works... Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Picture081_21Sep05.jpg   Picture116_09Jul06.jpg  

Picture114_03Jul06.jpg  
Robin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
The window hoods are a great idea, but I don't want to pierce the hull, are yours screwed in? I would love one for the front window, over the hitch.
The drip caps are screwed into the fiberglass using #6 x 5/8" panhead screws. My drip caps are sealed with a silicone like substance, and not done very well. I remove them as I get around to them, spend 2-3 hours scraping what little of this stuff was used still adheres to the drip cap, apply good butyl tape, and re-attach to the trailer. In my case, the trailer shell is plenty thick enough for these caps since they are on the start of the curve, and the shell thickens there.

I can't say enough bad things about this sealant. it is stiff and almost workable, but requires minute attention with a small putty knife. Too much pressure, and you bslice through the thin aluminum. I tried heating with a hair dryer, and the stuff became more workable, but incredibly sticky. My final solution is to soak a small section with paint thinner. It does not make it easier to work, but prevents sticking to itself or the aluminum in another location. As well, only a very basic single bead was applied, allowing leaks to show up over time. It is easy to remove from the fiberglass with a putty knife. I suspect my windows are installed with the same stuff!

Victor
Old 08-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #13

Registry
Well, its been a while since I've updated my photos. The bed benchs are finished and installed, complete with additional 12 volt outlets and indicator light for the water pump.

As well, I finished my BBQ support rack on the exterior of the trailer from aluminum square bar. The BBQ is a cast aluminum Westbend one I resucued from the junk pile in Riding Mountain national Parks some 10 years ago. I think it was discarded because of the lack of replacement poarts, mainly the burner assembly. I refinished it, and took it to BBQ Country in Edmonton, and we were able to build a replacement burner and regulator assembly from generic parts. It isd an ausomr BBQ, much better than the stamped steel one I had before.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #14

Registry
More updates!. The dining table is in, as well as the sideboard and the storage unit at the entry door! Targetting the inaugural trip for mid-September - Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

Victor
Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #15

Registry
Looks like we'll be ready for the inaugural trip. The trailer is undercoated, new rims, finished inside. New spare tire bracket gets elded on tomorrow morning, and then the trailer goes to an RV dealer for bearings and brakes.

Updated photes posted on:

Victor
Old 09-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
My oh my. Yours is now the only nearly new Fiber Stream in the universe. I've never seen such a total rebuild. congratulations. She is a beauty, inside and out.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #17

Trailer: *Percheron
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Manley
your work is excellent i guess the only question left is when do you start manufacturing fiber stream trailers??
and where do i sign up at????
jim
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #18

Name: MIchael
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Victor,
I love your posts, but the link to webshots...takes me to a "sign up" page. I enter my email, click "sign up" and nothing happens. Can't look at anything on webshots. A search of your name turns up nothing. Help?
Thank you.
Michael Selig
Fiberstream owner/renovator
sugartide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Mike, probably cuz that post was 9 years ago and the pics are gone now. He is still active on FGRV, he will get back to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream