Forgive me Scamp faithfull, I looked at a Lil' Snoozy and liked it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Forgive me Scamp faithfull, I looked at a Lil' Snoozy and liked it

Saw one just as we were pulling into the campground last week. The couple appeared to be packing up so I rolled down my window and asked to look at their rig. They were glad to show it to us. While not perfect (I would like the wheels flush with the side of the body), I really, really liked the layout. I am not ready to trade off my Scamp 16 yet but maybe someday.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Snoozy

Tim, the fact that the tires are out a bit gives the Snoozy a very stable feel.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieinNC View Post
Tim, the fact that the tires are out a bit gives the Snoozy a very stable feel.
And you don't need extended mirrors on the tow vehicle....we just picked ours up and brought it home Thursday.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

North Florida
I understand the stability, but my Scamp is much higher, and the track narrower and I have no stability problems. To be brutally honest, I see no reason other than cost or engineering that Snoozy does not inset the wheels. I like the layout, but would not buy something that hangs that wide.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
wheels

Why I liked the wheels outside is if you get a flat it doesn't bust up the fiberglass body like some of the others plus it is more stable and you don't need oversize mirrors .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #6

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Would you please explain why the wheel placement prevents extended mirrors from being needed? I'm a newbie and assumed extended mirrors were to see approaching traffic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
lil snoozy

The camper is 8ft wide including wheels the box itself is 78in so we dont need extra stick out mirrors like some of the other campers. Go to lil snoozy .com he explains it
Old 05-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Asheville View Post
Would you please explain why the wheel placement prevents extended mirrors from being needed? I'm a newbie and assumed extended mirrors were to see approaching traffic.
You actually use the mirrors to see what's behind you. Approaching usually means what is in front.

If the body of the trailer is narrow enough when compared to the tow vehicle, you don't need extended mirrors.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Extended mirrors

You may not need mirror extensions but you then have a narrower trailer. Lil Joe has the same feature.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
The camper is 8ft wide including wheels the box itself is 78in so we dont need extra stick out mirrors like some of the other campers. Go to lil snoozy .com he explains it
Geeee....
Aren't most FGRV's like SCAMPS, Bolers, and all of the eggs about 78" wide? Ya almost have to be that wide to fit in east-west beds. Which is to say that the Lil Snoozy really is a lot wider without the benefit of additional inside space. You still have to keep those "Wide Track" wheels on the road and into camping spaces.

FWIW: Credit for inventing "Wide Track" goes to Ford, not Pontiac.... There was a version of the Model "T" Ford available with a wider front axle and spacers on the rear axle so that the wheels could ride in the wagon runts in rural areas.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #11

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I'm doing my research into buying a FG camper. As a tall person, 6'5", the Egg Camper and Lil' Snoozy are the only ones I have found that accommodate my height. Hope to visit the Egg factory this summer.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #12

Yep, you can bet that FGRV's aren't popular with basketball players.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #13

Florida
Registry
If one looks at utility trailers or uhaul rentals the wheels are always out (wide track ) This give a lot better stability and if you get a flat a lot easier to fix and work on trailer brakes, bearings etc . If your in a parkliner , boler, scamp,or casita what happens if you have a blowout at 6o mph and tire blows right through fiberglass wall ? I like to hear from these owners that have had blowout at highway speed and if it wrecks the fiberglass shell? that was my thought when we bought our Lil snoozy
Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #14

Gotta say, most of the dozens of tire blow-outs, both on FGRV's and mini motorhomes that I am familiar with occurred with over age tires. Yes, a few have happened with newer tires, some that had prior road damage but, after you remove the number of blowouts from those causes, the number of blowouts on RV's is very small and, IMHO, not sufficient enough to warrant making a selection based on the fear of that happening.

BUT... in one FGRV I saw several years back, the owner had squeezed metal trailer fenders into the existing wheel wells as armor to protect against blow-out damage.

Bottom line: Take care of your tires, do not leave them exposed to sun during storage, monitor tire pressure, inspect for damage often and toss them on their 5th birthday. And, BTW, don't buy cheap tires.....

I have seen it mentioned in earlier posts that the Lil Snoozy frames are built by a boat trailer builder, which might better explain the wider stance.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
This give a lot better stability and if you get a flat a lot easier to fix and work on trailer brakes, bearings etc . If your in a parkliner , boler, scamp,or casita what happens if you have a blowout at 6o mph and tire blows right through fiberglass wall ?
Easier? How does that work? In order to fix a flat, brakes or bearings all wheels need to be taken off the trailer and the process for doing that is no different on the trailers listed vs the extended out wheel as found on the lil' snooze. What am I missing?

I have had tire failures and not had the tire blow through the fiberglass. Although I am aware that can happen I don't believe it is as common an event as some may believe.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Sizes

Hmm. From the Lil Snoozy website, the inside width of the trailer is 6' 6" (or 78"). The bed is 63x79". How they get a 79" bed into a 78" space must be interesting to see.

David, what IS the side to side dimension of your bed? (I assume the 63" dimension is front to back.)

My Trillium bed measures 77x45" (or 6' 5" x 3' 9"). The brochure states overall (outside) width as 6' 7" or 79".

So, the two are about the same width, so the idea of accessory mirrors or not seems moot.

Another point, is the Snoozy is 8' (96") over the tires. In Washington, being over 80" requires running lights, that is corner lights, and three lights in the center showing red to rear and amber to the front as well as lights at the widest points.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #17

North Florida
I started this thread because I was impressed with the layout of the Snoozy, but since then have noticed there are several (older) rear entry trailers out there with similar layouts. They are not necessarily eggs (Grasshopper, Taylor Coach) but have the layout that more closely fits the way we camp and use a trailer. It looks like Snoozy made a decision to use “stock” type components (axle, frame, fenders) and a smooth sided shell without wheel wells as both cost cutting measures and fabrication streamlining elements. These are not bad things when construction efficiency crosses path with lower price and better or at least not reduced suitability for use.

That is the rub, the Snoozy is not (IMHO) “cheaper” (from MSRP prices I have seen) and the “wide track” does not fit the way I drive or camp. I tend to hug the side of the road when towing, always have and just prefer to do so especially with oncoming traffic on the (narrow) roads I frequent. I want to be able to run my TV over to the edge without the trailer running off the road or taking out mailboxes. In sum, I see negatives to the outside wheels without sufficient advantages to counter it.

I have actually had a tire come apart and do significant damage to a vehicle. It was a Chevy Blazer and a Firestone tire that literally tore off the end joint and hanger of the exhaust pipe. That was a rare occurrence and I did not go looking for vehicles with outside wheel wells because of it and will not be basing a trailer buying decision on it either.

Tags
lil snoozy, scamp