story about the li'l snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
story about the li'l snoozy

This is a Referral for all u glass folks.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Interesting, that was posted on youtube more than 3 years ago and this is the first time I've seen it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Mike I wasn't even looking for that but though maybe others would like to,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Interesting, that was posted on youtube more than 3 years ago and this is the first time I've seen it.
: see it to so I loaded it up. Very interesting sales pitch and looks like they put a lot of work into it but will not work for me as I like Propane more than Electricity.
Just the same real nice set up.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
That is a good video and an interesting trailer. But I wonder about having only 120 volt. Can't keep the fridge cold while traveling unless you run the genny. No lights unless plugged in or generator running? I didn't see anything about even having 12 volt lights or a battery.

I do like the window style air conditioner though. Roof ones are a pain and take a lot of power to run.

In the video he talked about running the 2000 watt generator and when you get there you have hot water and a cool interior. Not so fast. Will that generator run the water heater, the air conditioner and the fridge all at the same time? No way.

I do like the wide rear door though.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
John, the Lil Snoozy does have a 12 volt battery, and you have the option to have it mounted either on the tongue or under the bed. 7 LED light fixtures are scattered throughout the trailer. I have never tried running the generator while traveling, but with the soft start appliances they do all run off the generator, but we opted for the Truckfridge 12 volt compressor style refrigerator, so I can not say for sure that the 120 volt dorm fridge would be able to run with everything in the mix. Our 2014 Lil Snoozy has a 5000 btu air conditioner to be able to run everything at once, but I believe they now offer a larger unit, as the 5000 btu unit is marginal, cools, but won't freeze one out.
We have added solar and propane to our unit to better fit our boon docking camping style without needing to run the generator.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
John, the Lil Snoozy does have a 12 volt battery, and you have the option to have it mounted either on the tongue or under the bed. 7 LED light fixtures are scattered throughout the trailer. I have never tried running the generator while traveling, but with the soft start appliances they do all run off the generator, but we opted for the Truckfridge 12 volt compressor style refrigerator, so I can not say for sure that the 120 volt dorm fridge would be able to run with everything in the mix. Our 2014 Lil Snoozy has a 5000 btu air conditioner to be able to run everything at once, but I believe they now offer a larger unit, as the 5000 btu unit is marginal, cools, but won't freeze one out.
We have added solar and propane to our unit to better fit our boon docking camping style without needing to run the generator.
Dave & Paula

Dave, after reading your posts, a few PMs on your mods and getting the grand tour at the Q, I think you've made the perfect LS around. The builder should really look into changing the curb side windows and overhead cabinets to your design as it adds storage and the smaller windows don't limit light, view or air flow. Are you going to make the Q in '17?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:53 AM   #7

Registry
Dave, we plan on being there, but you know what often happens to plans.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:48 AM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dave & Paula
Dave,

Thanks for clearing the 12V situation up. I missed that in the video.

It looks like the air conditioner runs on 740 watts, those 110 V water heaters are 1250 to 1500 watts, the compressor fridge takes about 120 watts (more on DC if you factor in the battery charger to run it on 12v) And then you have to account for altitude with a 3% drop in generator output per 1000 ft elevation.

Of course there is no need to run the water heater while traveling, but the video said you could, along with everything else. Just trying to understand the power management with a Honda 2000.

Are you converting to a propane fridge and/or water heater? If so, how will you vent them? I really like the air conditioner not being on the roof.

I know they have surge brakes and the video shows a galvanized frame. A design very similar to boat trailers. It definitely won't corrode.

Thanks, John
Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Registry
John, the optional 12 volt D/C Truckfridge danfoss compressor refrigerator that we have uses 3.3 amps while running (40 watts), and of course it cycles so it doesn't use the full 40 watts/hour out of the battery. The 150 watt solar panel does a great job keeping up with that draw even with the low winter sun angle. We have a Propex propane furnace and SMEV two burner stove top. I have not converted the water heater to propane just because of the cost, the fact that if showers are not available, the 20 minutes of generator run time needed to heat the water just doesn't make sense to spend the money. In 50 + years of camping, the only camping system used (tents, vw camper, pop-ups, Scamps x 2) up until the Lil Snoozy did not have air conditioning, and we have only used it a couple of times (once only to drown out the outside noise), and that was when we were plugged into shore power. . Hopefully some other Lil Snoozy owners will be able to give you their experiences.
Dave & Paila
Old 11-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are managing the power very well. I grew up camping in tents and later just sleeping out on the ground next to my dirt bike or in the back of the pickup.

Sometimes it does seem a bit silly having air conditioning, and certainly if you have to run a generator to use it. I much prefer to be outside and I don't like the noise the AC makes, so I have never done that.

Your Snoozy seems to have brought all the right ingredients together to match a practical energy plan, a reasonable comfort level and a reliable fridge. Good job!

It would be fun to see how you mounted your propane tank and did the rest of the installation.

I spent about 20 years living on a boat and sailed it to Mexico and back. Often it was just weekends anchored out, but on the longer trips I desalinated water, ran the radar a lot, ran nav lights, autopilot, etc. It seems power usage always rises to meet the max available and battery management is always an issue. If they spend a lot of time below optimal charge they begin to sulfate. I had a Norcold compressor fridge that didn't draw much, but it was relentless. Later I built my own compressor system, with a holding plate in the box, that vented it's waste heat through a passive heat exchanger submerged in the fuel tank. It only ran for 20 minutes every six hours and saved an enormous amount of power.

In Mexico, while trying to plug in at marinas, there was always an issue with voltage and my smart charger was finicky. Too low or high and it would not even come on. If it was too high (often the problem), I'd string several undersized cords together and plug other boats into them. Then I could get the voltage down to where my charger would accept it and tee into it for my boat. It's so much nicer to just set a 50 watt panel out next to the trailer and plug it in! Solar panels don't work very well on boats.

I'm really spoiled now with our new Ollie!

Tags
lil snoozy