Prices- Casita vs. LIL Snoozy - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #61

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
It seems like most of the arguments against all-electric have to do with boondocking. I'm not planning on boondocking except in a Walmart parking lot occasionally. So it doesn't bother me of course. All electric is fine for me.

And it takes me longer to hook up the hose than 5 minutes much less the time to flush both tanks and then wrap everything up and put it back.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #62

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
It seems like most of the arguments against all-electric have to do with boondocking. I'm not planning on boondocking except in a Walmart parking lot occasionally. So it doesn't bother me of course. All electric is fine for me.

And it takes me longer to hook up the hose than 5 minutes much less the time to flush both tanks and then wrap everything up and put it back.
Right, so again, all electric makes sense for you since you don't boondock.

One minor point is, we aren't talking about flushing the tanks, just dumping. That's quick. I do flush (rinse) the tanks before I store the trailer, and that can take 20 minutes or so.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #63

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Really the only appliance that you can't easily work around in an all electric trailer is the hot water. When we boondock we just heat water on the butane burner if we can't run the genny . We cook on a butane burner and I use a portable propane heater when needed
Is there a practical way to heat water on a stove then get it into your hot water tank for a shower? I've done that with a solar bag shower (like for backpacking) but it's awkward if you don't have a good hanging spot.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #64

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Is there a practical way to heat water on a stove then get it into your hot water tank for a shower? I've done that with a solar bag shower (like for backpacking) but it's awkward if you don't have a good hanging spot.
I have heard where a person purchased a "bug sprayer" to use as a dedicated shower. You heat the water on the stove and dump it into the sprayer, and add cold water to the tank until you get a comfortable temperature. You pump up the sprayer and take it into the shower with you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #65

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
LOL
That sounds like a good idea!

The Don Pod
Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #66

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Isn't it great that all the manufacturers take a different path design wise? That allows buyers to get what they want. Different prices, different sizes, different appliances, etc.

So get what YOU want.

And the great thing with molded trailers is if you make a mistake, you can get out without losing a lot of $$ and buy something else. Try that with cars; or houses; or most anything else.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #67

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Very nice snoozy at the 8:50 Mark with propane and a nice compact Furnace shown in the cupboard, non wood floor an added bonus. And those truck camper folks love their rear doors.
https://youtu.be/HeMfbRqLfDk

Yep, burning man uses the bug sprayer showers, even sells black ones you sit in the sun. youtube "Kariba" shower for a slick propane combo stove/shower setup.

Why are there so many posts that say no propane in a snoozy, when the factory has been referring customers to a propane installer for years?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #68

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have heard where a person purchased a "bug sprayer" to use as a dedicated shower. You heat the water on the stove and dump it into the sprayer, and add cold water to the tank until you get a comfortable temperature. You pump up the sprayer and take it into the shower with you.
Dave & Paula

That would work. When boondocking we usually don't use the shower until we can use the generator. Dave, what do you guys do. I know you added propane but did you add a propane hot water heater?
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #69

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Isn't it great that all the manufacturers take a different path design wise? That allows buyers to get what they want.
You are so right.

I have a bad habit of doing tons of research before I make a purchase, even on smaller things like a Bluetooth speaker or sometimes things in the grocery store. When I decided I didn't want to travel in a big long trailer that I already owned, but wanted to go small and probably fiberglass, I was surprised at the price of the Casita and the Scamper. I had not looked at them in so long and what I came up to $15,000 to $20,000, I had immediate sticker shock. After a while I got over that and realized it's the way the market is. The last few months I've investigated the other brands and reinvestigated Oliver which is now back on the market, I still think the Casita and the Scamp offer the most for the money. But I finally talked myself into spending more and going for the Snoozy, probably, unless I change my mind, again. 😀😁

And people here have correctly said spend the money and get what you want. My closest friend is 84 years old and lost both of her sons over 20 years ago. She's always told me to spend the money on myself because I can't take it with me. I'm single and she knows I'm very frugal but not cheap. We'll see within the next couple of years if anything new hits the market or changes. Thanks for the excellent advice everyone is giving, especially the pros and cons and technical issues. It is all very helpful.

😇😇🙃😏👍👌👏👏👈

The Don Pod
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #70

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
That would work. When boondocking we usually don't use the shower until we can use the generator. Dave, what do you guys do. I know you added propane but did you add a propane hot water heater?
Charlie, I have only found one water heater that has intake/output venting through the floor, but it is way too expensive to justify. I just can't bring myself to cut the smooth sides of the trailer, so that is why we don't have any outside access doors, and a propex furnace that exits gasses out the floor. We either run the generator for 15-20 minutes for the electric water heater, or heat water on the SMEV propane stove.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #71

North Carolina
Registry
There seems to be a great diversity of opinion on here about propane, electric systems, toilets, tires, wheel bearings etc. We can never agree all the time .Thanks to all of you for keeping it interesting. It is good to learn from one another.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #72

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hopefully this is the last night of our month long trip coming back from L'anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland.
We've had 2 brake problems and an exploded tire from hitting a huge chuckholeat a higher speed than we should have, and I've blessed the larger tire sizes Lil Snoozy uses.
Some manufacturers use smaller sizes, those can be problematic fixing or replacing.
Just another LS thing I'm grateful for.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #73

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Casita Patriot owner here. For anyone who is shopping, here are my 2 or 3 cents: For me, making the towing easy is primary, or you won't want to go far. My Patriot rides beautifully behind my Ford Escape, with no sway bar or weight distribution. Also, this business of dumping out a cassette toilet into open air is just non negotiable. I use the Rhinoflex from my black tank, which attaches at both ends: No smell, no problem. I use a portable grey tank so I don't have to uncamp to dump the grey. But to me, I mostly use state campsites: KOA's and such are sometimes more expensive than a hotel room, and definitely more than air bnb. State campsites are much prettier, since they don't allow seasonal rv's. I also like the diversity at state campgrounds, and they can have gorgeous locations: Most RV parks are off the water with no view or dynamic surroundings, at least up here in the northeast.

So, obviously, I'm hooked on the Casita with 3-way fridge (wow, is it great to get out of the ice business..) propane cooktop and hot water heater. I can keep the battery topped off with a passive solar panel that rides on my bed. Easy peasy. Silent, clean, free.

With the casita, I get it all, and don't have to own a truck, and I can gas and shop anywhere, and the ride is heaven. Care-free. As far as space goes, I hang out underneath the awning, not inside. I sleep inside and change my clothes and prep food. My 13 foot Patriot is wonderful, maybe you'd want the 16 for 2 people. Hands down, Casita wins, including price.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #74

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjunkysue View Post
Casita Patriot owner here. For anyone who is shopping, here are my 2 or 3 cents: For me, making the towing easy is primary, or you won't want to go far. My Patriot rides beautifully behind my Ford Escape, with no sway bar or weight distribution. Also, this business of dumping out a cassette toilet into open air is just non negotiable. I use the Rhinoflex from my black tank, which attaches at both ends: No smell, no problem. I use a portable grey tank so I don't have to uncamp to dump the grey. But to me, I mostly use state campsites: KOA's and such are sometimes more expensive than a hotel room, and definitely more than air bnb. State campsites are much prettier, since they don't allow seasonal rv's. I also like the diversity at state campgrounds, and they can have gorgeous locations: Most RV parks are off the water with no view or dynamic surroundings, at least up here in the northeast.

So, obviously, I'm hooked on the Casita with 3-way fridge (wow, is it great to get out of the ice business..) propane cooktop and hot water heater. I can keep the battery topped off with a passive solar panel that rides on my bed. Easy peasy. Silent, clean, free.

With the casita, I get it all, and don't have to own a truck, and I can gas and shop anywhere, and the ride is heaven. Care-free. As far as space goes, I hang out underneath the awning, not inside. I sleep inside and change my clothes and prep food. My 13 foot Patriot is wonderful, maybe you'd want the 16 for 2 people. Hands down, Casita wins, including price.

My you certainly have lots of opinions . I am glad you are happy with your Casita. However comparing a Casita 13 to a Snoozy is the proverbial apples to oranges [emoji23]
Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
My you certainly have lots of "opinions" . I am glad you are so "care free"[emoji23]
Yup, we all have opinions and that's what makes every ones RVing experience work for them. There is no "one" way that's correct to get to the end of your ride .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #76

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Having only seen a Snoozy once, I am certainly no expert. But, for what it's worth: I was very impressed with the quality, and how rigid and substantial the shell was. The rear mounted AC was also a nice feature, mainly because it gets rid of the loud roar of the roof mounted units.

Having said that - I'm not it's target market, because I've no interest in an RV with no holding tanks, propane, etc. I know price is a major consideration for most buyers, but I'm more about the features so my opinion has nothing to do with price.

If Snoozy offered a real extended boondocking capable RV with propane, etc., I believe they'd sell alot more of them.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #77

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Having only seen a Snoozy once, I am certainly no expert. But, for what it's worth: I was very impressed with the quality, and how rigid and substantial the shell was. The rear mounted AC was also a nice feature, mainly because it gets rid of the loud roar of the roof mounted units.

Having said that - I'm not it's target market, because I've no interest in an RV with no holding tanks, propane, etc. I know price is a major consideration for most buyers, but I'm more about the features so my opinion has nothing to do with price.

If Snoozy offered a real extended boondocking capable RV with propane, etc., I believe they'd sell alot more of them.
Its true that no trailer is suitable for everyone. I don't think they can sell any more LIL Snoozies unless they expand their operation. They are a year out now. What I like most about the Snoozy is it is so easy to modify. I have done several major one (i: move batteries to tongue, change to 2 six volt DC, larger tires, change couch to dinette, add drawers, add outlets, new charger, add lights and shelves etc,) We bought ours in 2014 and are just now getting it the way we want it...mmm I just got that new battery monitor... It is easy to think we all have the cats meow when that may not work for someone else.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #78

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Regarding showers...i'm not too thrilled with being wet in the Cold so we use "backpackers showers". You can buy rinseless body wash and make your own with strong disposable towels and a little bit of baby oil in addition, in a ziplock baggy for transport, or buy a package of them already made up.

Just coming home from a little over a week in the GA mountains to enjoy cooler weather and the preliminary color changes. Spent 2 nights "boondocking" thru the Harvest Host program. Rest of the time has been in campgrounds. Still loving all electric.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #79

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
love it

I love all these answers I love those campers they are just out of my price range or what I would want to pay. I have been accused of being stingy, tight, several other things concerning money I admit it!

Not only the initial expense interest insurance sales tax license fees I just don't want to spend that much money. My best to you who do!

I saw a relative today she is loaded I showed her a new Cad. one of her relation had just bought at 83 she said she said she thought she would hang on to her 90 Buick keep her money!

bob

a 13f Scamp is ridiculous!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #80

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
To us the Snoozy checked off our must have list. We have a 9 foot 10 inch gate to the back yard. So it will be stored in our back yard. We ruled out the stick campers. The fiberglass eggs were the only way to go. Plus they hold there value.
We are new to this camping business & decided to get what we wanted for a change VS buying something cheaper. ( Like a cheaper wood frame trailer. ) All these Eggs are nice.
The important thing is to find something you want & go get it. You can drive yourself nuts by thinking to much.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, lil snoozy