First Burro, first post, first question :) Can i lie on the roof to do vent work? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: 1981 13' Burro
Washington
First Burro, first post, first question :) Can i lie on the roof to do vent work?

Hi. I've read through LOTS of posts & threads here. I just got my first trailer: 1981 13' Burro. Bought a new vent cover, with helpful leads from this great site. Can I sort of drape myself across the roof of my burro to work on the vent? I don't mean 'stand up' on the roof. Is lying across the roof too much pressure/weight, and I'd be begging for cracks and leaks?
Thanks for your response. I know that I'll be referencing this site on every little glitch that pops up
I love my little trailer!
Colleen Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Colleen

I have worked on a very thin Boler roof. We put 2x4s inside, (2) and had a big piece of plywood placed at the top of the 2x4 to spread out support. The plywood was about 12 x 12 inches you can put another piece under the 2x4 at the floor. slight pressure by having the 2x4 a speck long so it does not fall over. One ahead of the opening and one behind.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Colleen I guess that all meant that you can lay out on the roof at the opening over the 2x4s!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I use a section of scaffold, a painter's/wallpaper hanger's trestle or 2x12 up top parallel to trailer, offcut of 3/4" plywood (about 24"x60") as a bridge and working platform from the trestle plank out on to the step in the trolley roof. I usually secure the plywd bridge with a C-clamp to the scaffold plank. Couple nails or drywall screw would work as well. The step in the roof is the most rigid place on a Burro roof and the perfect place to land the end of the bridge as every thruhull including vents, fan and AC, is on the central roof facet. Knee pads are a good idea as you'll be down on them with both hands free rather than lying on the trailer to spread your weight or draped half on/half off clinging for dear life. Can't find pix which would make this rig simpler to visualize.

You probably can install a vent cover and the little vent stack breathers and the bathroom vent from a ladder. Not going to happen with heavy, centrally-located AC. Maybe you'll never be up there again after this one job. Weigh the risks against the frequency of use and cost of gathering and storing equipment. My old scaffold frames are heavy. At 66, getting them placed and braced isn't really all that much fun but beats a trip to the emergency room. Harbour Freight has a moderate duty adjustable height scaffold with a steel plank or tray built in. About $200. Adaptable to maintenance chores around the house also and more manageable weight-wise and setup-wise.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Colleen, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

You're receiving lots of good advice from kind and helpful people.

Ill just ask... do you have any pictures to share We LOVE pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Helicopter and skyhook at obout 2000 $ an hour should do it lol
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I think you should just tilt it over on its side. Then you can stand on the ground and do everything!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Or perhaps you could install the new vent cover simple by going up from the inside through the vent hole, if its large enough .... thats how I did mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Colleen
Trailer: 1981 13' Burro
Washington
I figured that fiberglass trailer owners would be helpful comedians! But some of these ideas aren't so far off from what I was really thinking of doing. Parking the Burro under a tree limb and shimmying out, or under a shed eave and leaning out. I think I'll go with the no-more-concussions option and use a well-rigged scaffold AND brace from the inside with supports. That way I'll have a go-to plan for the next thing that crops up. At least, that's today's plan.
Thank you so much for the responses. I KNEW this was a great site
Attached Images

Colleen Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Smart lady! There are folks who own, lease, or have access to forklifts, front end loaders, scissor lifts, or even bucket lifts. Split loft barns are handy for this sort of activity as would be a flat roof shed from which to arrange a gang plank. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that someone has worked from a balcony, fire escape or tree house.

Remember that, in the case of the Burro, dead men or shores inside really work well only on the centerline as there is space between the double hulls further outboard. I think you'll be surprised at the strength and rigidity of the trolley roof. Outboard of the step, the roof is bit soft by comparison.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
People shouldn't lie on the roofs. They should be truthful wherever they are....

I am zero help!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Colleen. Congrats on the Burro.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #13

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
People shouldn't lie on the roofs. They should be truthful wherever they are....
!
They shouldn't leave dead men lying around either. There are laws about that!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
If I had to do that repair I would let my wife do it in case the whole thing caves in.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro